Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: New to iPod general help please. apps etc

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

New to iPod general help please. apps etc

I just received a second hand iPod Touch which i was told is a 3rd Gen 32GB, got it home and it turns out it is a crappy 2nd gen 32GB that appears to do nothing but play music (this item was a gift), here is any info i know about it:

Version - 4.2.1 (8C148)
Model - MB533BT

I basically wanted this because i have a very bad phone Blackberry Curve 8520 and i wanted to use features such as Facebook apps as it is my only source of sending messages, internet (wifi), games when i'm bored and of course music and the odd video for traveling. A main feature i really wanted it for was to sync it to my Xbox console and use the new smart glass app.

Problems are such things as anything i try to download from app world says i have the wrong operating system and as i am aware 4.2.1 is the max for my model.

Facebook required 4.3 and smart glass requires 5 and above etc, if it is no good for what i want it for feel free to link me up or tell me about any offers for trade ins for a better model with a little cash, preferably not the 4th generation my sister has it and my hands swallow it, way to small for me. Bare in mind i am not well off in anyway my income is next to none so yeah i can't purchase new or dish out stupid amounts of money.

If anything getting Facebook and apps working will tide me over till an upgrade for a smart glass compatible device becomes available for a cheap price, or if an iPhone 4 will work i could sell this and my phone to purchase one of them any views or opinions would be a big help.

Thanks for any help in advanced much appreciated.

Edit - I live in England

Last edited by Kawdam91; 11-16-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 AM

There isn't anything you can do if an app requires iOS 5 (or even iOS 4.3) and yet you can only install up to iOS 4.2. There isn't a little trick you can use or anything like that. So you won't be able to run the Facebook app or Microsoft's Smart Glass app on your iPod touch. The only thing you can do is sell that iPod and buy something newer. I would stay away from the 4G iPod touch simply because it is on its way out as Apple has already stopped supporting it by not allowing most features of iOS 6 to be installed on it. That also means staying away from the iPhone 4 as it runs the same hardware (and software) as the 4G iPod touch.

If anything, you should be looking at an iPhone 4S. They aren't nearly as much as an iPhone 5 and companies here in the U.S. are selling them for $100 on contract. You should be able to at least get $75 out of your iPod touch (more like $125) and that would be able to pay for an iPhone 4S.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: New to iPod general help please. apps etc

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.