Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: So I messed up.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

So I messed up.

I got my first 32gig iPod Touch 4g, 3 days ago. I bought it from a friend for $30 because he had two.

So the iOS was 5.1 or something like that, I updated it to iOS 6.0, then I jail broke it... I just wanted to see what I was able to do with a Jail broken iPod because I have never had one before.

So I restored it in iTunes to undo the jailbreak. Then I jail broke it again ~ for another reason... Then I tried to restore it in iTunes again. But this time it failed. And the device is bricked.

I have gotten a few errors but the current error is "2009". I already looked it up and did all 5 steps that it says I should do. And nothing worked.

I cannot get my iPod into DFU mode, it doesn't let me. The ONLY screen it shows is the USB heading towards the iTunes logo. When its in "recovery mode".

So I have tried to recover it about oh ~~~ 30 times or so, and it fails every time with error "2009".

So it would seem as if the device is bricked.

Does anyone know anything that might help?

Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM

Getting an iOS device into DFU mode can be tricky, but it's pretty rare that a device is so badly bricked that it won't even do that -- DFU is essentially a hardware-level mode that should exist even when there's no operating system on the device at all, and about the only time DFU mode won't work is if a physical hardware chip is fried.

Note that the DFU procedures (specifically the timings) have changed a bit in newer versions, but the principle remains the same. This also works better when you're plugged into your computer -- if you're on Windows you'll hear the USB connect/disconnect sounds and on either Windows or Mac iTunes will tell you it's found your device in recovery mode once you've completed the procedure. Note that the screen should remain black when properly in DFU mode -- if you see anything else, including the Apple logo or the 'Connect to iTunes' graphic, you've done something wrong, and likely bypassed DFU mode and just booted up normally.

What works for me is basically just to reboot the device by holding down HOME+POWER, and then as soon as it reboots (just before the Apple logo appears), release the POWER button and keep holding the HOME button until iTunes tells you it's detected a device in recovery mode. The old 5/10-second timings do not apply with newer devices and iOS versions, probably due to faster initial reboot times on the newer hardware.

Topic: So I messed up.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.