iPod Touch 4G screen issue

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

nparab

Ok, I have this iPod Touch 4G which I've had for over a year and a half. It's retina screen was perfect for all these months (great contrast, etc).

Two days, back while riding in a cab, I had it in the front pocket of my trousers, and I had put a laptop bag with a moderately heavy laptop on my lap with it's weight all on the iPod. The screen was facing down so the glass is not damaged or anything.

Since then, I have noticed that the iPod screen has become kind-of faded out. The brightness can be changed, but the contrast is spoiled. The blacks used to be darker earlier, but now they look gray (even when you restart the iPod, the startup screen looks lighter gray instead of black). The pics which I had clicked on the iPod, which used to look perfect earlier, look a bit washed out now.

My question is: is it even possible that this happened due to putting the laptop on my lap while the ipod was in my front jeans pocket? Or is this fading-out something which happened over time, and I'm just noticing it now?

Is there any way to fix this? I love the iPod touch and it's retina screen, I like reading and using apps on it (even more than my iPad 2!)...

Last edited:

kornchild2002

The only thing you can do software wise is restore the iPod with iTunes. If that doesn't work, you will have to fix it by installing new hardware yourself, sending it off to Apple for repair (if it's still within the one year warranty or an extended AppleCare warranty), or to a 3rd party repair service. It sounds like your iPod is physically damaged requiring service. It could be the display or the logic board. Its impossible to tell without going through the trial and error of installing new components. The display might be problematic or it could be a chip/connection on the logic board. It is possible to damage an iPod by having it experience too much pressure in a tight pant pocket, in the bottom of a bag, etc.

nparab

Ok. Thanks. I'll try doing the restore. The display sometimes looks normal, but goes back to being washed out just while viewing it. It's not such a big problem (it's not very faded), but just makes for a little uncomfortable viewing, given that it has been perfect for 1+ year.

It's not under warranty. So, I guess if the problem gets worse I'll have to pay for a new screen or logic board. I would have thought that it would be sturdier and less prone to such things in everyday commonplace situations.

Thanks v.much again for your advise.

kornchild2002

Yes and no. Keep in mind that these devices should withstand everyday activity. However, putting them in a front pocket and putting even extra force on top of an iPod does not count as normal usage. A smartphone should be able to withstand that but not an iPod. The extra squeezing may have been enough to put the iPod over its edge. Additionally, if you are one of those people who wears tights jeans, that only makes things worse.

nparab

Ok. But it's strange that the outer things (the back metal, and the front glass) are undamaged while the inner components would be harmed. (Maybe the glass itself is made stong enough).

But, I also noticed today that videos are playing pixelated and somewhat jerky, whereas they used to play well earlier. So this might me a software issue after all(?). I'll try restoring first and see if it solves the problem (at least the pixelated videos).

nparab

Forgot to mention, the ipod was in a capdase cover (silicone, I think), not totally exposed, so I thought the cover could have absorbed some of the force (not sure if it does).

kornchild2002

Silicone is good at absorbing and dissipating shocks (i.e. drops) but it doesn't do anything when it comes to pressure. It's also pretty common for the outside casing of an iPod to hold up to a physical force (pressure in this case) while an inside component doesn't. That used to be the main issue with iPods even dating back to their launch in 2001. You could drop an iPod, its exterior would show no signs of damage, and a component on the inside would be busted.

nparab

I didn't get time to do the restore. But now, without me doing anything, it sometimes seems normal & sometimes gets back to bright. I guess it must be a hardware issue.

Thanks all of you for your replies.