Looking to sell 2nd gen iPod touch - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Looking to sell 2nd gen iPod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Looking to sell 2nd gen iPod touch

So our 4th gen iPod touch that we somehow won in a contest and that we all used as a family is pretty much broken now. The screen is shattered, the home button is jammed, and worst of all, the charging slot is messed up so we can't charge it. Oh well, anyway, we've had it for over a year, and it has been used by the 3 or us (me, my older brother, and mother) pretty strenuously.

Anyway, with the 4th gen iPod broken, I decided to get my old 2nd gen 8gb out and tried to restore it (I forgot my password and tried to enter too many times, yes I know lol.) I would have done it earlier, but our computer is in need of repair so I finally brought it down to the apple store to get it restored. After doing that and updating it to the latest operating system, I noticed how slow it is! And the pixels are so noticeable, and everything lags. So I want to try to sell it and buy a shiny new white one. How mug could I get out of it. It has just a few small, barely noticeable scratches on the screen and scratches on the back, with no imperfections or dents anywhere. Only small scratches. Like I said, it's the second gen 8gb model. And where should I sell it?

Also, what kind of deals could I get on black Friday/ when would be a good day to buy a new one? How much did itouches cost last year?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 08:06 PM

You will be lucky to even get $100 for that. The 2G iPod touch is 4 years old now (it doesn't matter when you actually purchased it, that specific iPod is using 4 year old hardware) meaning the battery in that iPod is just as old and it may lose its ability to hold a charge anytime now. On top of that it is the 8GB capacity and you can pick up a new 8GB iPod nano for $130 ($110 at some stores like Best Buy). I did a quick search on eBay and most people seem to be selling them for $50-$80, new in box 2G 8GB iPod touches are going for a little over $100.

You can try selling it on eBay, Craigslist, or even the Amazon Marketplace. You can also trade it in at some stores such as GameStop and Best Buy but they don't offer a whole lot. I am not sure about Black Friday deals as I can't see into the future. Nobody knows anything about future sales that stores are going to have especially for Black Friday as that is still 5 months away. You can look on Apple's website for iPod touch prices last year as they haven't changed. In fact, Apple didn't even introduce any new iPods last year.

The best time to buy a new iPod probably won't be for another 3 months. That will likely be when Apple finally updates the iPod touch by adding newer hardware (such as the dual-core A5 processor). As I said, Apple didn't upgrade the iPod touch at all last year and it is due for an update of some kind later in the year. Apple traditionally has an iPod event every year around September. That would be your best time to either buy a new 5G iPod touch or purchase a 4G model at a discounted price.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom

Topic: Looking to sell 2nd gen iPod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.