Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: how to replace glass digitizer without replace LCD on ipod touch 4gen?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

how to replace glass digitizer without replace LCD on ipod touch 4gen?

there are lot of tutorials where people shows how to replace glass with LCD, but i dont want to replace LCD, i need to replace only glass digitizer. as i know LCD and glass is glued each to another, i dont want how to safely take broken glass of and put new digitizer on.

is there any videos or photos how to do this?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM

Veteran Lounger

I researched this when I was mistakenly sent a digitizer instead of the digitizer/LCD component for my 6G nano. If you do a search on Youtube you will find a few videos trying to replace the digitizer on 6G nano's as well as the touch and iPhones. Most of the screens used have the digitizer and LCD glued together. It is very hard and I have yet to hear a report of anyone successfully replacing a digitizer without damaging the LCD, it's some pretty good glue they use. The main trick to use is to apply as much heat as possible to soften the glue but there is a film or filter that never comes off with the LCD. Even if you successfully separated the components you can not stip the glue off and will have to glue them together again bubble and dust free.

Since I had the digitizer I gave it a try heating it up so much I could hardly hold on to it. It started out good as I was getting the filter off with the LCD till it started to tear in the middle. I ended up folding the LCD in half. since it was pretty much toast I heated it up as hot as I could and the glue is still pretty tacky. My nanos screen was pretty much shattered so even with enough heat each shard of glass would need to be removed before the new digitizer could be glued in place.

Separating the digitizer and LCD is pretty much impossible and even if you are successful getting them back together with not visible defects will be. If you want the ability to replace the digitizer separate from the LCD you should order the 2 components as separate units so they are not glued together to simplify the next possible repair. Otherwise save yourself the trouble and get the digitizer and LCD together.

4G touch screen replacement video.

A video of a guy trying to separate iPhone LCD and digitizers.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 AM

Freshman Lounger

it can be done

it CAN be done. using a blow dryer high heat. start from a corner preferably where the cracks are more because the glue is actually a big peice of film so your not removing the glue itself,your removing the film OF glue as a whole. so it peels off at high heat though. it is a very slow time consuming process but it can be done. peel back the broken glass and glue film from a corner & at an angle. first, peel back left then right a few times,then the middle(this is the technique)keep applying high heat everytime u peel back. so this is why it takes up so much time. after you`ve gotten it (craked digitizer) off, use...(heres the secret)... "goo gone!" but the oil based,not the spray!put some on finger and rub the lcd to remove the remnant glue. keep applying lite coats & wipe with newspaper. do not use rags because this will reapply & smear debris back on the lcd making u work double. best way to get the glue off is to rub a lite coat while constantly rubbing frequently then scratching the glue away. also, a precaution to not get oil (goo gone)on the sides of the lcd because it can ruin it. the hardest part is to peel of the glue film while not cracking the lcd & have the patience to do it because it really is alot more easier to buy the assembly than it is woth the time and effort. ***tip: do this when u absolutely have to! *good luck*

Topic: how to replace glass digitizer without replace LCD on ipod touch 4gen?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.