Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Updating from another computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-08-2012, 11:50 AM

Freshman Lounger

Updating from another computer

I have a young granddaughter back staying with me for a while and she has an iPod Touch 4th Gen which she was given at Christmas. It's still on the original OS and I would like to update to the latest version. As she doesn't have a computer back at her own home she uses a friend's computer to manage her music on it so it will be authorised on that computer. However, she has been unable to update the OS, whether due to lack of knowledge or whatever.

I have two iPods and an iPad2 on my own computer and I would like to know how I can update my granddaughters iPod OS in a way that she can still retain being able to manage her own media when she goes back home.

Instead of using my main computer and causing any conflict with my own media, apps etc and what is on her iPod, I also have a laptop which I can install iTunes onto and do a backup and update if this would help the issue but is this a feasible way around the problem. Also, what happens when she then connects to her friend's computer when she goes back home.

I'd appreciate a bit of help with this please.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 PM

You can do this depending on what version of iOS her iPod is running. You should not do this on your computer if it is running iOS 4 and you want to upgrade it to iOS 5.1. Although you can technically do it, she will run into a few issues when she goes back to the computer it was originally synced to. That computer will want to erase her iPod and get rid of all her content. Unless there is a dire need for iOS 5.1 on an iOS 4 iPod (which I highly doubt), she would be better off waiting to perform the upgrade on the computer it was originally synced with so that it won't cause problems in the future. You can perform the upgrade from iOS 5 to iOS 5.1 with your computer, that shouldn't cause any problems. In fact, the iPod itself can perform the upgrade from iOS 5 to iOS 5.1 without your computer.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-08-2012, 12:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

My granddaughter is out for the day and taken her ipod with her but current iOS version is 4.something.

One of the reasons for updating was to give her face time and icloud
Old 04-08-2012, 02:13 PM

FaceTime is part of iOS 4 so the only thing iOS 5 would bring is iCloud compatibility but she needs that only if she intends on using her iPod touch with it for downloading previous purchases or backing things up to there. The reason why I say you shouldn't perform such an update using your computer is it will cause confusion. You will have to manually copy music, movies, apps, and other content on the iPod to your computer. You will have to do that as the iPod will be restored when going from iOS 4 to iOS 5 (and iOS 5.1). That means that when she goes back and plugs it into the computer that she syncs it to, that system will think it is a new iPod and will erase it. Unless she is willing to take the time to read the pop ups and manually manger her iPod with that computer, it will be erased.

Now, if she never plans on syncing her iPod with that computer again, you can go ahead and upgrade to iOS 5.1 making sure that you copy all of the media and apps off of it onto your computer.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for your help.

I'll just have to try and get her to understand more about how to go about this by herself. I certainly don't want to cause any confusion. If she was visiting me more often I could just put her on my ID and that way she could share all my media.

Topic: Updating from another computer

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.