Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Transferring Files to a PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-01-2012, 02:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Transferring Files to a PC

Hello,
I would like to transfer photos, videos and music from my daughter's Ipod Touch 8GB 4th Generation to my PC computer to free up some of her space. I can't believe how difficult this has been to figure out. My computer will not recognize the Ipod all the time. Usually it does not appear in My Computer, but last night it was there. I was able to copy some photos and videos, but now after the Ipod was disconnected and then re-connected, it is not there anymore and will not be recognized by the computer or any program that I downloaded that claims to help me transfer files (CopyTrans or MediaWidget).

ITunes will see it, but I have not found any way to get the files to the computer using ITunes. I have Manually Manage Music and Videos selected, but checking that didn't seem to change anything. There is nothing there that says Enable Disk Use which is another suggestion I've found online. Does anyone know why this could be happening and any possible solution. My goal is to ultimately burn the photos and videos to a dvd so iCloud isn't something I want to do. Thanks!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Photos that were synced to her iPod touch through iTunes cannot be copied back onto your computer. Well, there is a long, difficult process to do that but the results are far from optimal. The only photos you can freely (and easily) copy off of an iPod touch are those actually taken with the iPod and/or saved onto the iPod through Safari (i.e. downloaded images). Images that are on the iPod touch, which can be easily copied, are viewable by plugging the iPod into your computer, opening up My Computer, and double-clicking the icon that represents the iPod. That is it. The icon will not show up unless you have some saved/taken images on the iPod.

The Help!, Tutorials, and Ask iLounge sections of the website contain all the other information you will need for copying music, music videos, movies, audiobooks, and apps off of the iPod touch.

Also keep in mind that any content purchased off of the iTunes Store can be downloaded again for free. This includes most movies and TV shows, songs, music videos, apps, audiobooks, and eBooks.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: Transferring Files to a PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.