itouch - can't update without original p.c. need help

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

scottitouch

I have an itouch 2g, when I try to update to the latest Ios version it says something like - all of your apps will be deleted, if u wish to keep them you need to update on the original pc you registered with. I no longer have the laptop I used when I bought my itouch a couple of years ago. What am I supposed to do ? I've not managed to find an email address for apple to ask them. I was thinking bout buying an ipad, but if I don't know how to fix this I'll be afraid about my pc breaking down or something & being stuck with the same problem in the future.
Any help on this issue will be most appreciated. Thanks

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
This warning likely means that your Touch will be erased as part of the iOS update (major revisions often do that). If you no longer have access to the laptop, then you're mostly OK...

Apps and music downloaded from the iTunes store can be re-downloaded for free, so these can always be re-added to your current iTunes library if you're logged into the account used to obtain them. Once you get them into your current library they can be re-added to your Touch after iOS is updated.

If you have non-iTunes content (or iTunes movies and TV shows) which are on your Touch but do not exist in your iTunes library, then these would be lost if your device is erased. You can use a 3rd party application to extract these items from your Touch to your current iTunes library (see the iLounge article on this). If this applies to your situation, take care of this before you do the iOS update.

Never use your Touch as your only storage location for content, that is an accident waiting to happen. Always keep your library updated, and use your Touch as a temporary place to put (and use) your content.

scottitouch

thanks for your reply. Think I understand most of it. Just to be sure - I have already used the transfer purchases option to add all games / apps to my library. Is only games & other apps that I want to keep. Nothing else on itouch, all legal (not jailbroken or anything).

Does the warning just mean I have to manually replace all my games etc by just redownloading off app store ?
I've got loads - it'd be much easier if my current pc will transfer them all back after the update.

I still don't see why it says I can register 5 computers but only use the original one to update.
If this is not a worry & safe to proceed anyway please let me know.
Thanks a million

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
You can update the iOS your Touch on a different computer, I'll sometimes do that at work since the connection's faster (but since I auto-sync my Touch I put it into manual mode first, then update, then return to auto-sync when I get home).

So there is no problem updating your iOS on a different computer, especially since now this is your only computer used for your Touch. Just make sure that (a) all the media on the Touch that you care about is in your current iTunes library, (b) you perform a backup of your Touch to save its settings, app data, etc., and (c) probably would want to be signed into the iTunes account used to purchase your iTunes items. Note that (b) is normally taken care of when you update iOS, but it wouldn't hurt to initiate a backup by right-clicking on your iPod's name in iTunes.