Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What is difference between 4th and 5th Gen iPod Touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM

Freshman Lounger

What is difference between 4th and 5th Gen iPod Touch?

All the stores are selling iPod Touch 4th generation.

My kids are telling me there is a 5th generation.

However, from what I can tell, the 5th generation only adds a 64GB and the color white.

All I am interested in is an 8GB iPod Touch. Is the 4th generation the latest model?

Thank you in advance.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 AM

Pro Lounger

Hi Jessica, and welcome to iLounge.

No, there isn't a 5th generation iPod Touch as of yet. The only thing new about the iPod Touch is the white casing option, and that's it. Also, the 64GB capacity is nothing new either, for I have that capacity in my iPod Touch 4G.

Just let your children knew that mother knows best.

iPod Touch 4G 64GB-iPod Classic 160GB - Cowon X7 160GB - iRiver H320
Old 11-29-2011, 05:30 PM

You might be able to find a reduce priced 4G 8GB iPod touch simply because it uses the older packaging. As previously pointed out, there isn't a 5G (fifth generation) iPod touch and the one being sold now is exactly the same (down to the internal and external hardware) as the iPod touch released last year. The only difference is now you can buy one in white whereas they were only available in black last year. Other than the addition of a single color option, NOTHING is different.

However, I highly suggest that you look for a 32GB iPod touch instead. I know it carries a higher price tag but 8GB really isn't a whole lot of storage space when you factor in music, videos, and apps. In fact, an 8GB iPod touch actually only has around 6.9-7GB of usable storage. So you are already shaving off 1/8th the capacity. Some of it has to do with storing iOS (the operating system that the iPod runs, it can't be removed) and another part has to do with the way the PC industry is setup (hence why advertised capacities are never actually the usable capacity of anything).

Many apps can consume 50-100MB as well. For example, World of Goo (easily one of the best iOS games out there) takes up almost 81MB and that doesn't include space for saved game files. So, with an 8GB iPod touch, you can factor in around 3GB for music storage, 2GB for a movie, and that will leave you with 2GB for apps (around 25-30 apps). That storage for apps will drastically get cut if you add in another movie, music videos, eBooks, magazines, and photos. 3GB is also only about 350 songs (23.6 hours) so going above that will also decrease the amount of space that is available on the iPod for other things.

My point is that 8GB is often times way too small for a large portion of people. 32GB might be too much but it is the only capacity offered above 8GB that isn't as expensive as the 64GB model. Apple used to sell a 16GB iPod touch (years ago) and that seemed to be the sweet spot for most people but now they only sell iPod touch models with capacities of 8GB, 32GB, and 64GB.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: What is difference between 4th and 5th Gen iPod Touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.