Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: I can't figure out my password o.O

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM

Freshman Lounger

I can't figure out my password o.O

I have a 4th generation iPod touch. It ran out of battery like 2 weeks ago and I haven't charged it until today. When I tried to go into it, I realized that I have a password on it. It's not a 4 digit password. It's a long one. And I tried to restore it, but I don't have a real iTunes account and it also said that there was problems with restoring it. I can't remember the password and I can't reset it. Is there any way to find out my password or get it unlocked?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Veteran Lounger

/facepalm

What would be the point in passcode locking a device if there was a work around that anyone without the passcode could use?

If you don't know the password, you're going to be restoring the touch, full stop (no idea what the line about not having a real iTunes account is regarding since at no point in the restore process is it required that you register anything with Apple).

Also, there are ONLY 4 digit passcodes, and if you'd ever sync'd this touch with a computer, you could always just plug it into its home computer and it would be unlocked for you giving you a chance to reset it to something you could remember better, but since this isn't evidently the case, get to restoring.

Last edited by Code Monkey; 10-26-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Something must be wrong. I thought I incorrectly read the post especially since I thought there could only ever be 4-digit pass codes but then again, I could have been wrong. Glad I wasn't. What could they be doing to their iPod that requires some type of long password to unlock it? It sounds like they might be confusing their Apple ID password with the unlock passcode or maybe even their wi-fi internet encryption password. Either way, the iPod touch only ever requires 4 digits to unlock it. Anything else isn't a part of iOS.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 10-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Freshman Lounger

I know you guys have a lot of posts and Im just a newbie and not very technical. BUT...

Go to Settings>General>Passcode Lock
Change "Simple Passcode" to 'Off'
You can then choose a passcode that is different characters and a lot longer than 4 digits.

Sorry to the OP, I have no info that can help other than suggesting a YouTube search which may result in some information...
Old 10-28-2011, 02:25 PM

That solution will work only once the iPod is actually unlocked. Until then, they won't be able to access the iPod's settings. So your solution would help someone who wants to change their passcode but it doesn't help those who forgot their passcode.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 10-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
That solution will work only once the iPod is actually unlocked. Until then, they won't be able to access the iPod's settings. So your solution would help someone who wants to change their passcode but it doesn't help those who forgot their passcode.

It wasnt to help the original poster... I even said I cant help him with his problem...

You guys were saying there's no way to have anything other than a 4 digit passcode and I showed you how there can be.

My post was directed at you and the other person.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:04 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by race774 View Post
You guys were saying there's no way to have anything other than a 4 digit passcode and I showed you how there can be.
You're either confused about my post, or not being clear. If you have a passcode, it's a four digit number passcode very much like a bicycle lock.

Now, you don't have to have a passcode at all, but if you do, it will be a four digit passcode, so whatever that poster thought was going on was either a completely different problem than the passcode or lock, or they were very confused.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
You're either confused about my post, or not being clear. If you have a passcode, it's a four digit number passcode very much like a bicycle lock.

Now, you don't have to have a passcode at all, but if you do, it will be a four digit passcode, so whatever that poster thought was going on was either a completely different problem than the passcode or lock, or they were very confused.
Maybe Im confused because I thought we were talking about the passcode lock that you can set to lock every time you push the lock button on the top of the ipod or after a determined amount of time...?
It'll say "Slide To Unlock" and after you slide it'll say "Enter Passcode"
Is that the one we're talking about?
Because in that case you are incorrect and that CAN be set to something other than 4 numbers, which I believe is what the OP did and is now locked out because he cannot remember it.

If thats not what is being discussed than I am sorry for my confusion.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:46 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Is that the one we're talking about?
That is the one we're talking about, but, at least according to the Apple docs a basic search leads you to, 4 digits was the limit, c.f. iPhone: About General Settings

However, since you pushed the matter ;-), I dug deeper and found another Apple doc linked from the "Halp I disabled my iPod!" support doc that mentions you can disable the "simple passcode" to require an alphanumeric, c.f. iOS: Understanding passcodes

So I was incorrect, but only because Apple's main docs on the subject are still wrong
Old 10-28-2011, 07:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well yeah, I did say ""Change "Simple Passcode" to 'Off'" in my first post. haha.

And I think thats what the original poster was referring to have done.
Either way he must restore it, but just wanted to clear that up.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:12 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Well yeah, I did say ""Change "Simple Passcode" to 'Off'" in my first post. haha.
You did say that, but I incorrectly assumed you were talking about something else. Unfortunately for my batting average, I was going strictly on Apple's documentation since it's never occurred to me to use the feature on my own devices so I'd never seen this poorly documented "simple passcode" toggle

Topic: I can't figure out my password o.O

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.