Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod Touch doesn't want to shut off. I have tried both Methods.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-24-2011, 04:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face Ipod Touch doesn't want to shut off. I have tried both Methods.

Hi this is my first thread here, so I will be brief.

I want to shut down my Ipod Touch but it won't let me.

The off button doesn't work, I have held it down every way imaginable.

The home AND off button combo doesn't work either, every time I try it, it just opens up voice control.

So there is my problem, and I'll thank anyone who can help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 PM

Junior Lounger

Sounds like a hardware problem. Maybe the circuit is broken between your sleep button and the wires inside. Will the iPod sleep?
Old 09-25-2011, 05:35 AM

cohendavid
Banned

That's sound funny . i'm sorry i know not to you. anyway. try to connect it to your computer and itunes . i found it able to reset many problems . it might reset your ipad an let you to shut it off too.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Veteran Lounger

Does the Sleep button put the iPod to sleep or wake it or does the "Slide to power off" slider not come up when you press and hold it?

I would also suspect your Sleep button is defective. Holding the Home and Sleep button combo is the command to take a screenshot of your touch's display. The proper command to activate Voice Control is to press and hold the Home button. I suspect when trying the Home/Sleep combo you are not getting the input from the Sleep button and holding it long enough activates Voice Control.

As already suggested you should try Restoring the iPod using iTunes to rule out any software glitch. Restore will erase all media and app files off the iPod and re-install it's software. Not a big deal if you keep a copy of your content in iTunes on the computer. Aside from replacing the switch your only other option would be to rely on Settings/General/Auto-Lock setting it to 1 min.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

Okay I've set the auto-lock to 1 minute, and sleep works fine.

But I still can't shutdown the damn thing normally.

Topic: Ipod Touch doesn't want to shut off. I have tried both Methods.

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.