Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod won't show up in iTunes, tried nearly everything...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face iPod won't show up in iTunes, tried nearly everything...

Ok, so I'm just gonna jump straight into this. But first, know that my iPod has been jailbroken. It was dumb, I know. But for the moment, let's just get on with the situation.....

My iPod works just fine normally, and even after jailbreaking it was connecting to iTunes just fine. However, a few days ago it just stopped showing up in iTunes. It connects to my computer just fine, and it is listed under devices with the proper name and driver. So, here's a list of what I've done to try and fix it:

* Reset/DFU mode to restore the device (iPod showed up, but will not restore and gives error code 1611, and occasionally will get stuck in reset mode)
* Restoring by using shift+click and selecting the current firmware (still will not restore, gives same error code as above)
* Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes (does absolutely nothing)
*Plugging the USB cable into a different port (didn't work)
* Tried everything on the iTunes support website, including the iTunes troubleshooting assistant and running the diagnostics (all the diagnostics told me was that no iPod was found, like I didn't already know that)
* Looked up error code 1611 on iTunes support (told me it was a hardware issue even though the iPod works fine and connects everywhere but iTunes)
* SSHed into the device and deleted jailbreaking apps in attempt to "unjailbreak" without the restore option
* Called Apple Support (don't even get me started on that......)
* Tried the "Erase all content and settings" option under Settings>General>Reset on my iPod (gets frozen on the screen with the circle every time)

So basically, I have three questions.

1. Is there anything I can actually do to solve this issue, even if it means restoring to factory settings? At this point I'd be happy with anything that will allow me to sync again.
2. Do you think the problem lies within my iPod hardware, or is it some bug in iTunes? (Remember, the iPod works fine otherwise)
3. If I take my iPod to Best Buy, will they be able to replace my iPod with a new one, even if it has been jailbroken? (It is still under warranty, but will the warranty be void?)

Please help me out here. I've searched every article on this site and others to try and solve this, but it just isn't working.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:56 PM

Senior Lounger

Does it show up under Device Manager? I would look there and try to either uninstall/re-install it, update driver. It gives you several options. I had an iPod Classic that wouldn't show up on iTunes for anything, but it did show up on Device Manager. I fixed the problem by clicking update driver under Device Manager. I'm not sure if I did the uninstall/reinstall first though, it was a long time ago.

If that doesn't work, I would try another computer with iTunes to try to restore it. Once it's restored, it should be fine. But if it's still giving you problems then you can take back to Apple or Best Buy since it will no longer be Jailbroken.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Freshman Lounger

Nope, it shows up fine in device manager. I don't have another computer to try restore with, but I'm hoping that they can either restore it at Best Buy or just give me a new one.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

did you try the diagnostics in iTunes by going to help bar in iTunes then click on diagnostics if the diagnostic results said that there is no ipod is connected to the computer try the help button

Topic: iPod won't show up in iTunes, tried nearly everything...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.