I have a BIG problem and need MAJOR help please... - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: I have a BIG problem and need MAJOR help please...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face I have a BIG problem and need MAJOR help please...

Hello everyone, I'm Bella and this is my first post and I hate that it's a help me post but I need it badly. My Mom sent me her 2nd Generation iPod Touch and I got it in the mail today. It still had her email on it so I figured ok, I'll just erase and restore. Ya, not cool apparently! When I turn it on, it shows the USB cord with the arrow pointing up to the iTunes logo. Well, I'm on a PowerBookG4 and the highest OS I can go up to is 10.4.11 and I can't update my iTunes to 10.2 because of this. I have iTunes 8.2.1, which the box says that I need at least iTunes 8 for this iPod Touch but when I plug it into my computer it says..."The iPod "iPod touch" cannont be used because it requires iTunes version 10.1 or later. Go to itunes (dot) com to download the latest version of iTunes." I am downloading that now but I don't think I will be able to use it with OS 10.4.11. What do I do? I fell horrible, I just got it today and totally screwed up. You have no idea how much I will appreciate your help. Thank you for reading all this and for helping me if you can.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

Nope can't use iTunes 10.1 either. I have to have OS 10.5 or above and I can't get that on my PowerBookG4. I just wanna crawl in a dark hole and cry. I can't believe I screwed this up. If there is any other way I can do this please let me know.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Sounds like this Touch has the latest FW (4.2.1) which introduced AirPlay, and that requires iTunes 10.1 or later (and OS 10.5.8 or later). If you can't update your Mac OS, then you will need to step the Touch OS back to an earlier version (probably 4.1 or earlier). However, that's not always so easy -- you have to put the Touch into "DFU mode" (use Google for instructions). This bypasses the currently loaded OS and let's you install an earlier version, which you can find here:

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

I won't go into the details since you can search and find plenty of instructions to take it from here. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thank you so much Rock! I have been searching my lil heart out trying to figure out how to do this. I will search some more with the info you have posted for me. It is very much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ok, it is in DFU mode, nothing happens when I push the power button or anything like that. I went to the link you supplied Rock and I am guessing I'm supposed to Download the Classic 2G (33/2.0.1) I'm thinking the 2G stands for 2nd Generation. I just want to make sure this is correct.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 PM

You want the firmware package for a 2G Touch. You can save the file to your computer, but you may have to un-zip the downloaded file before installing. The file you want out of this will have an .ipsw file extension (not sure if it will appear like that on a Mac though). If you can get your iPod into DFU mode and connect to iTunes, hold down your Opt key while you click restore, then at the prompt you navigate to where you saved the .ipsw file and iTunes should load it onto your iPod.

Sorry, Dr. Rock needs to run out for the day, so use Google for more info, or perhaps the next shift here will be able to help
Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks Rock. Ok, so I downloaded this...iPod_33.2.0.1.ipsw...My iPod Touch is connected to my computer and in DFU mode where it does nothing, I click on iPod_33.2.0.1.ipsw and iTunes pops up, and that is it. There is no restore, even if I hold down the option key there is no restore button to click on any where. I feel so bad, this was special from my Mom and now I'm ruining everything! I really have no clue at all what to do, none and that is being 100% honest right there. I will keep searching but I have no idea what for. I appreciate your help Rock, I will keep trying.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

None of this is working. I am going to download or attempt to download iTunes 10.2 on my friends computer (PC) tomorrow and see if I can get it done from her computer. I took my ipod touch off of DFU, so it's back to the screen with the USB cord and the iTunes logo. I just want to make sure I will be doing this right...After I download iTunes 10.2 and connect my ipod touch up to her computer I just need to press shift (on her PC) and click the restore or update buttons in iTunes...correct? If this isn't how I'm supposed to do it then I have no idea. Maybe I should just mail this to you Rock and I'll pay you to fix it lol. I can't believe I've screwed up this bad!

Topic: I have a BIG problem and need MAJOR help please...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.