my touches screen and the genius bar - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: my touches screen and the genius bar

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

my touches screen and the genius bar

sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong ace first of all. anyway my brother dropped my iPod touch 4th like 7 inches and it landed the worst way possible. the corner hits the tile floor causing a pretty crack straight through the screen. im planning to take it to an apple store. i have read many other posts saying that when you talk to a genius they say they can give you a refurbished for 150$. is that price true? and what is the quality of a refurbished touch 4th gen? any scratches? thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 AM

Veteran Lounger

First, the more relevant point: a refurbished iPod is as good as, if not better than, new. There are no scratches because the chassis is brand new and all other components are tested and certified, as well the battery is brand new. For future reference, unless you really like those clear plastic boxes iPods come in, the only time to buy a non-refurb is when there isn't a choice (for instance, you still cannot buy the 4G touch as a refurb). You'll save money, get the same warranty and support, and get at least as good as product.

That said, no, the Genius bar probably will not offer to swap it out for a refurb at any price. The iPod was clearly dropped which voids your warranty. Most people report that once Genius determines your product is no longer covered they politely send you on your way. I've never heard anyone report what you are saying you've read other places and, if there's any truth to it, it's because $150 happens to be the price Apple's repair service charges for screen replacement to an iPod otherwise technically within its service period.

You can try your luck. Without refurb 4G touches for sale, it's the only possible way way you'll be able to buy a replacement at a discount, although I suspect whatever reports your hoping are true are internet nonsense. $150 is less than Apple was charging for the 8GB second gen iPod touch around Christmas time.

Topic: my touches screen and the genius bar

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.