Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can't drag and drop apps to my ipod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Can't drag and drop apps to my ipod touch

I just bought 3 games from the itunes store and they downloaded fine into my itunes on my laptop. Then I hooked up my daughters ipod and it said that it needed a software update which took about 30 minutes. After that I tried to drag and drop these new apps into the ipod and it won't work!

I have undone all restrictions and other items are able to drag and drop.

If I click on the apps tab on top in itunes I see the ipod but the screen is greyed out whith sync the only option. If I click on sync it gives me the warning that all the existing apps on the ipod will be replaced by the new apps! I don't want to get rid of or replace anything, just add an app

Does anyone know why??

Thanks, Joe

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk909er View Post
I just bought 3 games from the itunes store and they downloaded fine into my itunes on my laptop. Then I hooked up my daughters ipod and it said that it needed a software update which took about 30 minutes. After that I tried to drag and drop these new apps into the ipod and it won't work!

I have undone all restrictions and other items are able to drag and drop.

If I click on the apps tab on top in itunes I see the ipod but the screen is greyed out whith sync the only option. If I click on sync it gives me the warning that all the existing apps on the ipod will be replaced by the new apps! I don't want to get rid of or replace anything, just add an app

Does anyone know why??

Thanks, Joe
Maybe turn on Home Sharing in the Advanced menu in iTunes? Apparently that iPod is not registered to that iTunes. Read up on Home Sharing; I haven't used it myself, and so I can't give advice on exactly how to use it.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

I am already on home sharing and I can also drag and drop music and other stuff into it. Very frustrating.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

I figured it out. itunes stinks
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 PM

Freshman Lounger

I know why. You cant sync two different devices with the same stuff. Its like getting free stuff. and Itunes doesn't want. You could try logging out on the ipod and logging in as you. that might work? I'm not sure though. That happened when my friend tried to give me some TV shows. ITunes doesn't let you.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apsire View Post
I know why. You cant sync two different devices with the same stuff. Its like getting free stuff. and Itunes doesn't want. You could try logging out on the ipod and logging in as you. that might work? I'm not sure though. That happened when my friend tried to give me some TV shows. ITunes doesn't let you.
No, sorry. You can sync as many devices as you want to an iTunes account.

I believe the issue was that the OP wanted to manually drag and drop Apps as if they were music or video content -- you don't manage Apps that way. Instead, they are auto-sync'd to the iPod (either all, or selected Apps) even if you manually manage music and video.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:06 AM

Junior Lounger

Most of time when I plug my iPod into computer, itunes will freeze and die. I think you meet something which are similar to me.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:57 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk909er View Post
I figured it out. itunes stinks
Right, I'm sure that's it. However, let's just consider a few things. Other than WMP that gets a bit of a cheat coming with every copy of Windows, iTunes is the most installed media player/music management software in the world, with install numbers magnitudes higher than the number of i-Devices ever sold even though with the exception of TV shows and Movies sold through the iTunes store you don't actually need iTunes for *anything* if you don't own an i-Device of some kind. These hundreds of millions of iTunes users, who don't even technically *need* iTunes, must just enjoy using software that stinks. The fact that Apple soared to dominance of the mp3 player market only once iTunes was ported to Windows even though Windows had been able to use the hardware for a couple of years with MusicMatch is purely some sort of coincidence. That the biggest software company in the world, Microsoft, has not once but twice tried to out-iTunes iTunes with WMP and the Zune software, and failed both times, is just some sort of insanity on the part of their business strategists, because clearly these sorts of solutions to managing complicated media hardware "stink".

Yep, that iTunes sure does stink.

Or maybe not...
Old 10-01-2011, 02:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Did you figure it out?

What did you do to get it to work? It'd be a big help for those of us who can't get it to work (like me ).
Old 10-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznVamp View Post
What did you do to get it to work? It'd be a big help for those of us who can't get it to work (like me ).
You necro a 9 month old thread to ask a question that may or may not just be vague bot spam since the OP never did figure it out - unless declaring 'iTunes stinks' magically solved his issue like guessing Rumpelstiltskin's name in the fairy tale, and I kind of doubt that

Assuming your question is in earnest, there's nothing to figure out. Plug an iOS device into a computer with the app in question, sync said app to said iOS device. You can do it via the apps tab for the iOS device or, in line with the original query, "drag" the app from the apps *pane* to the iOS device in the source pane. This prompts a sync of the device and checks off the app in the sync tab for the iOS device without you actually doing it the "hard" way.

The only reasons it won't work are that the computer in question isn't authorized to the owner's account for that app, or the iOS device is full, or linked to another "home" computer, or, and pay attention because this is probably what happened to the OP: you have turned off the ability to install apps for that iOS device in the iOS device's settings. If you set that to off then apps are greyed out on the app management tab and dragging and dropping won't work either.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Lol

Better to necro an old thread than to be called out for not using the search function. -_-" lol

But thank you! After I posted I figured I'd give ticking "Sync Apps" a try. I thought I'd always had it unticked and still been able to drag and drop, but I guess that wasn't the case.

The reason I didn't want to untick it was because I didn't want to lose my arrangement of apps. I have tons of apps in each folder (JB). It all worked out though; all my apps stayed in their folders, even though it looked ugly on iTunes.

Thank you!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznVamp View Post
Better to necro an old thread than to be called out for not using the search function. -_-" lol
Well, I do commend you for that, but this probably wasn't the thread to resurrect Glad it's working for you now.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

check out post from apple discussion

Hi there,

I currently sync my iPhone 4 with my work computer but want to start syncing it with my home MacBook instead.

How would I make this switch whilst still keeping all the apps on the phone? I know I can re-format the phone on the home computer, but my apps wouldn't load back on automatically, so is there a way?
Thanks

ANSWER
Install the latest iTunes on your home computer. Authorize it in the iTunes store with the same account you have on the iPhone. Connect the phone BUT DO NOT SYNC. Go to the File menu and choose Transfer Purchases... This will transfer your apps and any iTunes purchased music and videos (inc. free ones) to iTunes on your home computer.

(Now they are all on your home computer you can go into apps on ipod and sync all apps. All the apps that were on your work computer are now on your home one so syncing apps will not loose any that you had on ipod I have tried this and keeps levels acheived on games ect.)

Now you can sync; the sync will delete content from the phone, but since it is now in iTunes on your home computer it will be restored as part of the sync.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 AM

Freshman Lounger

sorry, i don't know

Topic: Can't drag and drop apps to my ipod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.