Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Best Router for Ipod Touch 4

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Freshman Lounger

Best Router for Ipod Touch 4

I've tried all the remedies, but cannot get my Ipod 4g to connect to my wifi. I'm looking to replace my Linksys wwrt120n router. What would you suggest?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Veteran Lounger

It should work, is the router set to 5Ghz N only? Just looking at the touchs specs and even though it connects to a N network it is only compatible with the 2.4Ghz N standard. I would even try setting the router to B/G only network and temporarily disable WEP/WPA encryption.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

what good is getting your touch to recognize an unsecured network? I have a new 4g and CAN NOT for the life of me get the thing to work on ANY secured network. I have tried three different networks in three different locations and they all will not work. the unit WILL however work on non secured networks beautifully... but whats the point of that? I can not run an unsecured network at home.

I have tried ALL the resets, firmware, reboots. the only thing I can not seem to do on MY particular network is turn off MAC addressing.(linksys) for the life of me I can not find a place to turn that off when I am in my 192.168.x.x
Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 PM

Pro Lounger

I have not had very good luck with Linksys routers. They don't seem to last very long and have issues. I would recommend Netgear routers. I have had very good luck using a G router that I bought for less than $50. Both my and my son's second generation iPod Touches and my daughter's iPad have had no problems connecting to the WiFi using WPA encryption. The router was easy to set up using my Safari web browser, however any web browser will work.

Our manager of engineering, at my company, has also given up on Linksys routers and has replaced them with Netgrear ones both at his home and at work.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Linksys is our best wireless router for ipod touch 4 because it is fairly easy to install, it has decent range, it's not too expensive and it handles a larger network well. It's strongest point however is it's speed, this is a seriously fast wireless router.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee View Post
temporarily disable WEP/WPA encryption.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
what good is getting your touch to recognize an unsecured network?
There is no simple magical cure, the idea is to eliminate the common faults and narrow down what is causing the issue. I have never had a problem using any wireless network other than being out of range. It may be possible to use a wireless encryption that the touch does not support. I don't think the touch or iPhone support WPA2 Enterprise but does support the WPA2 Personal. If the touch works when you temporarily disable the encryption you can always try a different version of WPA or drop to the lesser secure WEP, which would be better than nothing.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 01-06-2011, 02:16 PM

I have gone through a couple of Linksys and Netgear routers (all at 802.11G) cycling from WEP to WPA security, they worked fine with the iPod touch. The only real issue I have come across is either using encryption that the iPod touch doesn't support or running at 5GHz 802.11n instead of the 2.4GHz standard (which I believe was part of the Draft-N standard?). I am currently running an Apple dual-band router as I still have some 802.11G devices (mainly my Xbox 360 and PS3) while my nettop, netbook, iPad, iPod touch, Droid X (at least I think, I haven't tested it yet), and stand-alone Blu-ray player all work with 2.4GHz 802.11n. I went with the expensive Apple option as I have had better luck with them over Netgear and Linksys. I have also heard terrible things about their routers as well.

The brand really doesn't matter in this day and age especially when so many models have the same internal components. There are people that swear by Netgear, there are others that will using nothing but Linksys, some people are now hooked on Cisco, others like to stick with more expensive Apple options, etc. I can give you one horror story about a Netgear router for every bad experience with a Linksys that someone else has.

There used to be a general predisposition against Linksys back when the 1G iPod touch was released as it seemed they were having issues (though I had a Linksys router at the time of owning a 1G iPod touch and didn't experience any problems).

Either way, those issues have long been solved and incompatibility now mainly comes from using an encryption that isn't supported by the device or broadcasting a signal that can't be picked up (ie a 5GHz 802.11n signal instead of 2.4GHz).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

I fear there no magic bullet. I have tried everything, except buying a new router. My wrt160n should be fine as it run the touch perfectly in unsecure mode.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks, I'll try those settings asap.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

Same stuff here, only thing mine won't connect to my home network when security is off. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

changing to B/G only worked. Thanks, this is one Christmas gift that now works. Have a great New Year.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 PM

Veteran Lounger

Glad to hear you got it worked out. It may be possible that when your router is set to N only it selects the 5Ghz frequencies. The Apple routers I use allow you to select the frequency, 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz, you want to use with a N network. As previously stated the touch can not use a 5Ghz N network.

Topic: Best Router for Ipod Touch 4

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.