Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Watching Videos on 4g Touch on TV

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-01-2011, 07:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

Watching Videos on 4g Touch on TV

My son received a 4G touch for Christmas. He wants to be able to watch the movies and tv shows that are on his ipod on a tv. I have a docking station that works with my older classic ipod but I can't seem to get his new touch to display video out just audio. I have the dock connected using a an S video cable and audio through the red/white RCA cables. I have changed the settings for the video to out to tv. Is there anything else I'm missing? Thanks for any help!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:22 PM

The new iPods do not support the older methods of video output. They require an authentication chip in order to output video. You will have to buy a set of new cables to hook the iPod up to a TV. You can buy composite cables (yellow for video and red and white for audio), component cables (red, blue, and green for video and red and white for audio), or even Apple's iPad VGA adapter (which won't work with videos purchased from the iTunes Store!).

Either way, you are going to have to purchase a new set of cables. You can go with Apple's cables (which are bundled with the cables and an AC adapter) or a 3rd part option so long as they explicitly list 4G iPod touch compatibility.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the info... I kind of figured it was something along those lines, I just didn't want to accept that I'd have to buy more cables...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
The new iPods do not support the older methods of video output. They require an authentication chip in order to output video. You will have to buy a set of new cables to hook the iPod up to a TV. You can buy composite cables (yellow for video and red and white for audio), component cables (red, blue, and green for video and red and white for audio), or even Apple's iPad VGA adapter (which won't work with videos purchased from the iTunes Store!).

Either way, you are going to have to purchase a new set of cables. You can go with Apple's cables (which are bundled with the cables and an AC adapter) or a 3rd part option so long as they explicitly list 4G iPod touch compatibility.

Topic: Watching Videos on 4g Touch on TV

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.