Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Itunes cannot read the contents of ipod""

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

Itunes cannot read the contents of ipod""

I went to syncronize my ipod in itunes and got the following message iTUNES CANNOT READ THE CONTENTS OF THE IPOD. GO TO THE SUMMARY TAB IN IPOD PREFERENCES AND CLICK RESTORE TO RESTORE THIS IPOD TO FACTORY SETTINGS I had previously been able to do this successfully and don't know what's changed.I have followed the instructions on the itunes site removing all aspects of itunes and re-installing but that made no difference. Ipod shows up in Windows and the ipod service is running. Had problems before with itunes and I don't want to restore my ipod and lose all the apps and music already installed.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Veteran Lounger

Well, if all your content and apps are still in iTunes, the touch will simply sync everything back after the Restore. (Uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes doesn't remove your iTunes "library" and content files.)
Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

I don't believe anything is left on my drive relating to itunes removed all trace previous to re-install, this is why I'm woried about a restore.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:04 AM

Veteran Lounger

Well, if you deleted the "iTunes" folder in your user account's My Music folder then yeah -- your library is gone. You'll know for sure by launching the iTunes program on your PC -- if it opens to an empty list then you've got nothing. If that's the case, you're mostly screwed; you can try recovery software like DiskAid, XPlay, or TouchCopy...but I don't think they'll be able to do the job. (Sorry to not be definitive; I never have to use this type of app because I keep backups of my important files.) If you did keep your library -- the iTunes window is chock full of goodies -- then just Restore. If everything is truly lost, at least you'll be able to re-download the apps.

Tell Santa to bring you an external hard drive ($60 and up this time of year) so that you can bank copies of your music files against woes like this....
Old 12-19-2010, 11:37 AM

Veteran Lounger

At the risk of suggesting there was an overreaction, iTunes quite frequently will tell you to restore an iPod because the handshake process went wrong. 99 times out of a 100 you can get it to read just fine with one of these non-scorched earth methods:

1. Simply unplug and replug the iPod into your computer. This works most of the time.
2. Reset the iPod. This works most times #1 doesn't.
3. Reboot the computer. This works most times #1 & #2 don't.

Only after you've done those three steps and are repeatedly getting the "can't read, restore..." message should you bother restoring. I've seen this message come up many dozens of times over the years, only once or twice was there actually a problem that actually required restoring the iPod.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

Code Monkey already tried 1, 2 & 3 none of which worked. S2_Mac I have all my music etc backed up on an external drive although didn't back up Itunes folder just need to delete and replace music already on the ipod and back up recent app purchases. Everything is fine with the ipod itself but can't change anything because of the problem. Someone suggest I try Media Monkey?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 AM

Veteran Lounger

Media Monkey will do nothing for you. It can add and remove audio content on a properly functioning iPod, but it can't do anything to restore an iPod, it can't do apps, and it can't do video. It's strictly a companion to iTunes for people who insist on doing things differently by using two different programs "just because". It's a great program for audio only players that aren't iPods, I've dabbled with it for many years, but it's no replacement for iTunes, particularly with an iOS device and I can't imagine what it's going to do for you in this case.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 AM

Veteran Lounger

Well, pretty sure the iPod is not fine. (Like, if you connect it to another PC's iTunes you'll p'bly get the same message.) The various "recovery" programs p'bly aren't going to help at all, since they rely on the database in the iPod to do their magic, and your iPod's database is hosed -- that's why you're getting the message from iTunes that the iPod needs to be restored.

I see no other option besides restoring the iPod. As noted in my second response, you can re-download the apps at no expense. Starting a new library from scratch is a PITA, but since you have a backup of the music files at least it's not a disaster.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

Okay, thanks, I suspected as much weird that I synced the ipod previously and it was fine and went to change my playlist and this happens.
Also a pain that I have to download all my apps again there's so many have to make a list.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

Similar problem - still stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2_Mac View Post
Well, if all your content and apps are still in iTunes, the touch will simply sync everything back after the Restore. (Uninstalling/reinstalling iTunes doesn't remove your iTunes "library" and content files.)
I'm having the exact same problem. I-tunes on my Windows PC is fine. My library is intact. I restored my I-pod nano to the original factory settings. Now it won't synch. (Occasionally it will synch but the results are the same.) The I pod is empty. Yet when I connect it I get "I-tunes cannot read the contents of the I-pod Jere Swain". Then it wants me to restore it. There are no contents, it's empty. So I'm caught in a loop w/an empty I-pod. I've restored twice. Is the I-pod simply damaged & beyond repair? I'm curious if the other user finally restored and was able to re-synch and reload his contents.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Yep, I've had the same problem with my Touch 4G. Sometimes it will sync and sometimes I get the message. Sometimes unplugging/re plugging works first time and sometimes I have to reboot a few times as well as plug/unplug iPod. My PC often does not do the same thing twice in a row which is extremely frustrating. Static electricity often does weird things with electronics - I have no idea if that is the culprit but it's the only theory I've got!!

Topic: Itunes cannot read the contents of ipod""

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.