Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Connecting Ipod Touch directly to an External Harddrive

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

Connecting Ipod Touch directly to an External Harddrive

I've read another post saying its impossible to connect a touch directly to an external harddrive

Previously I ran itunes from an external harddrive (from my laptop) meaning in order to play itunes I needed my external harddrive connected to my laptop

Would I be able to add/remove music from my library to an Ipod touch using just my external harddrive or would I better off just buying an Ipod classic with more memory

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:46 AM

Veteran Lounger

Good choice of screenname, since your question is making me ask, "What?...." ;-)

It is correct that a touch cannot be directly connected to an external drive. Put another way, the only way to load a touch is to connect it to iTunes. So, reading your question literally, the answer is, "No -- you cannot add/remove music to an iPod touch using just your external hard drive." But I'm not sure if that's the question you're really asking....

What is it that you want to accomplish? Do you need to expand music storage for iTunes on your computer? (If so, an external hard drive is exactly the way to go...but it will be connected to your computer, not your iPod touch.) If you can't fit enough music on the touch, there are methods for managing which tracks sync to your touch that will keep you in freshly rotated unheard tracks, along with your favorites. (Smart playlists and a couple of iPod settings make this a fairly painless task to set up.) If you want a higher capacity iPod just because you want a higher capacity iPod, that's great -- but you still won't be able to connect an iPod Classic directly to a hard drive.

If I've managed to confuse you, post again with more info about what it is you want to accomplish....
Old 12-15-2010, 01:51 PM

Freshman Lounger

I should have explained that better, though I think you've answered my question

My itunes library was too big for my laptop so I moved it to an external harddrive

In order to connect to my music library I needed to connect my external HD to my laptop, obviously

I am considering replacing my broken ipod classic with an itouch 64GB however my entire music library is 200GB approximately

My question is, will I be able to change the music on my itouch by connecting the itouch to the HD?

As a non-techie person I cant see a reason why this wouldnt work seeing as itunes programme, the music library etc are all on the harddrive and not on the laptop
Old 12-15-2010, 02:48 PM

<--(scratching my head as in my avatar)

Part of the confusion is your statement about connecting the Touch to the HD. You're connecting the Touch to the laptop, and your iTunes media is on the external HD which is also connected to your laptop. That's OK, we get what you mean.

To answer your question, your iTunes will behave as it always has no matter what iPod you connect to it. The only difference may be the reduced capacity of the Touch compared to your prior iPod, but I'm sure you're already used to that since your library is ~200GB. You can manually drag and drop items from your iTunes library onto your Touch, or you can auto-sync to a selected set of playlists that define what you want on the iPod. Either way will work just fine as long as the external HD is connected to the laptop before and during iTunes activity.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM

Veteran Lounger

Ah, got it.

Sorry, but iPods are totally the wrong kind of hardware to run a program written for a desktop/laptop computer, so you're out of luck with the direct connect idea. It's just me, but I'd say go for the touch instead of the Classic -- the screen size is a luxury, the flash memory is much less troublesome than the hard drive in a Classic, and once you get hooked on a couple of downloaded apps you'll be laughin' at the lesser iPods. Even though the touch has way less capacity than a Classic, a few smart playlists will do a good job of keeping your favorites on the iPod while cycling through new or unheard stuff. (Unless you're one of those folks who feels a need to keep their entire library "in their pocket," in which case the Classic is the only way to go ;-)
Old 12-15-2010, 03:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the answering the question, most helpful and convincing me the ipod touch is the way to go, I'm convinced!

Topic: Connecting Ipod Touch directly to an External Harddrive

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.