Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Touch WiFi trouble

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-25-2010, 09:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

iPod Touch WiFi trouble

I recently bought a brand new Apple iPod Touch (4th Generation), and connected to my home network, but have been unable to connect to the Internet. Its not a problem with the iPod itself, because I connected and used the Internet on a different network, and its noT the network, because my sister can connect to the Internet on her iPod Touch also, along with several laptops and a wireless printer. I've done a lot of research on Google, but have come up short, and I think I figured out the main problem.

Under WiFi settings on my sister's iPod, when I look at the network settings, it has an IP Address, Subnet Mask, Router, DNS, and Search Domains filled in.

For mine on the other hand, it only has the IP Address and Subnet Mask filled in.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Before you respond:
~I've tried a complete re-boot/reset to factory settings with no luck.
~I've tried the "Renew Lease" thing.
~I've tried turning on/off the router/iPod.
~Both the iPod Touch and the Router are running the latest software.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Does the IP address start with 169 ? If so then that is a Self Assigned Auto IP address and won't do anything for you. What is the IP address you see ?

I had lots of WiFi trouble on my 4th gen Ipod when using it with a router (netgeat wgr614) ) that was setup to do WiFi B and G with WEP security. It wouldn't connect, would do a self assigned IP of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx In general I had all the problems you are getting. I tried all the solutions you tried.

So I turned off 'B' in the WiFi router and that helped to connect almost 100% of the time.

Then I picked up another WiFI router (wgt624 v3) that did 'N' as well, connected it the network, set it to 108N Auto, used WPA-PSK [TKIP] security and haven't ever had a problem.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy Lol, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADave View Post
Does the IP address start with 169 ? If so then that is a Self Assigned Auto IP address and won't do anything for you. What is the IP address you see ?

I had lots of WiFi trouble on my 4th gen Ipod when using it with a router (netgeat wgr614) ) that was setup to do WiFi B and G with WEP security. It wouldn't connect, would do a self assigned IP of 169.xxx.xxx.xxx In general I had all the problems you are getting. I tried all the solutions you tried.

So I turned off 'B' in the WiFi router and that helped to connect almost 100% of the time.

Then I picked up another WiFI router (wgt624 v3) that did 'N' as well, connected it the network, set it to 108N Auto, used WPA-PSK [TKIP] security and haven't ever had a problem.
I'm having the same problem as the fellow who started this, and while your answer looks absolutely fantastic... I have no idea how to do any of what you've said there. :P I'm good with software, hardware and bugaboos with it aren't my cup of tea.

Much of the problem is exactly the same: Mine does begin with 169, yes, and only has a subnet of a generalized 255 variant.

Some slight differences, however, is that mine has been working fine up til now *Five Days*, and mine is a third generation, not fourth.

I also just had to walk four miles in negative twenty five degree weather, and my ipod all but froze. Could that have something to do with it as well?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Try to change your wireless password.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 AM

Senior Lounger

Try to reset your iPod's wifi network...Some time iPod can't read the new network.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM

Reclined Lounger

The ipod touch 4g has an issue with the Wifi Flex. It is held on by a male/female nipple setup.
I have seen quite a few where simple gravity has let this connection drop off and that gives you the useless wifi connection as it's not connected.
Look at step 19 here to see the flex and gain a better understanding of the connection,#iPod Touch 4th Generation Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit

In the natural position that connection has gravity pulling it off and even a mild bump to your ipod can make it come free. To repair it you need to disassemble the ipod to quite an extent before you can reach that connection and reseat it.

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members

Topic: iPod Touch WiFi trouble

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.