Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 8GB or 32GB ipod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Freshman Lounger

8GB or 32GB ipod touch

Hey guys,

Im going to get a new ipod touch 4g soon but im stuck on which compacity to get. So here is what I am considering:

64 GB: Holy Crap thats alot of gigs i will NEVER use even half of that!
32GB: Well, haha Apple, half of it. I'm still never going to use this much, but its nice and big.
8GB: This feels right, but I'm scared its too small, and for $70 more i can get 4x the compacity, but I really don't want to spend $70 more If I never use it, let alone if I do.

All Jokes aside, which should I get? Here's what I want in a touch:

About 500-750 songs (I seriously doubt ill need more than 750, ill never listen to 750 songs on a week long road trip anyways.)
About 2-3 hours of videos. (One movie ((I never pay for movies, just rent them)) and another 30min-1hr of random videos.
About 10-20 apps (I'm not too big on apps, and I want an iPod, not a gaming device anyways, so 10-20 apps like facebook or imovie or pandora)
Enough memory always left over for about 10-20 minutes of HD video recording (when i use these 10-20 minutes, next time I sync i will remove them to get the 10-20 minutes back)

BTW, if I ever get more than 750 songs, 3 hours of video, etc. then I will limit that amount on my iPod. Seriously. I don't know how you freaks think 64GB is small. I mean Dang. You want to be that person that you can request any song on the face of the earth and BOOM its there or something? I don't ever need that many.

So It would be most helpful if you could add this up for me with your expiriance with the touch and tell me which should I get?

Thank You in advance,
Michael

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:32 AM

Senior Lounger

On my 32 gigger i have 480 songs, about an hour of video, 65 apps and 75 photos and I've used 6.1 gb.
I choose the 32gb because the 8gb only has 7.1gb of formatted memory and i know i will end up using that 7.1gb.
Besides i just like knowing that i won't have to worry about leaving some songs or apps out for space.

My advice to you, If you can afford it go the 32gb.
I've heard a lot of stories of people getting the 8gb and never thinking that they would use all that and then running out of memory a few months later.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:52 AM

Never say never when it comes to iPod storage. I said the same thing regarding the purchase of my 10GB 3G iPod back in 2003. I thought I would never use the ~8.9GB of storage it had available. I started ripping my CDs (at 128kbps no less) and boom, I was up to 8GB overnight. The 8GB 4G iPod touch really isn't a whole lot and that extra $70 gives you much more storage space. It is really a joke that Apple is keeping the 8GB iPod touch capacity alive. My guess is that they ordered a crap load of 8GB chips way back in the day and now they are just sitting there doing nothing. So they had their manufacturer (I believe that is Foxconn) use the chips in modern iPods just to get rid of them.

750 songs, depending on the bitrate and song lengths, will take up about 4.5 GB. That assumes around 6 MB per song. Encode down to 128kbps and that number decreases. Encode at 192kbps (and higher) and that number will increase. Movies tend to take up quite a bit of space if you are using a good setting and bitrate. So you have 3 hours of movies and another hour of random videos totaling 4 hours of video. That equates to about another 4 GB worth of space. Boom, you are already up to 8.5 GB and you haven't even added in apps. 8.5 GB is already 1.5 GB over what the 8GB 4G iPod touch can actually carry. Even if you went down to 500 songs, you would be at 3 GB for music and at 7 GB overall, that is just enough to fit on the 4G 8GB iPod touch. Either way, the 8GB 4G iPod touch would not be able to hold all of the content that you want. You must be a freak. Who would ever want to be able to sit down, have 500 songs at their finger tips, and get instant access to them? Only God should have that type of power. Any normal person would be just fine with hauling around a couple hundred tracks, 20 minutes of video, and 3 apps.

Seriously though; you wouldn't have any room left over for apps, taking photos, or shooting videos if you went with the 8GB model. Now you see why us "freaks" think that 64GB isn't enough space. Music, videos, apps, photos, and recorded video all take up quite a bit of space. So go with the 32GB model if you don't want to have to worry about swapping out content every single time you sync (which will be almost once a day). You might not use the full 32GB (which is actually more like 29GB of usable storage) but you will definitely surpass the capacity of the 8GB version.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 10-23-2010, 08:23 PM

Junior Lounger

I got the 8GB but I also have an iPhone and an Ipad(I know..I'm a gadget freak with disposable income-dangerous combo) so 8GB is more than enough. I use the Touch at the gym and places where I'm not supposed to have a phone(work). I put some medical apps on it, some songs and games, and I'm set.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Freshman Lounger

32 gb

I have a 16 GB iPod touch 2nd Generation. I have a ton of apps, songs, and videos, so I need the 32 GB. It's mostly the videos and apps that take up a lot of space, so if you don't have a lot, you should be fine with the 8GB. I think the 64 is way too much because it has pretty much the same amoount of space as a laptop. And its $400 so thats ridiculous. I think, based on your description of what you have, you shoud get the 32 GB.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:27 PM

Veteran Lounger

I would go for the 32GB because even if you're very modest in terms of usage, you really can't use video + music + audiobooks + podcasts + apps + video recording + voice memos + etc...

The 8GB is what I call bait. If it's a secondary device or for a very lightweight user, that's one thing, but 8GB is just *barely* enough for very casual music, video, podcast, and audiobook usage. Throw apps into the mix and what you've got is a very, very tight fit or, as Apple sees it, an incentive to upgrade and bait to pass on or sell to the next "victim".

My 6 y.o. is about who I figure the 8GB is targeted for. Me, even though I'll never actually use all the 32GB, it's what I got because I had well over 8GB of stuff on there 3 hours after I bought it, and that's just the "next 3 days" supply.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelr96 View Post
Seriously. I don't know how you freaks think 64GB is small.
Easy. I have over 28GB of music, 18GB of video and 2.5GB of podcasts at any given time. I like not only having extra breathing room, but I also like being able to grab and go with everything on my device because my mood can change at the drop of a hat. However, if you're the type of person who can load up a certain playlist for the day and be happy you might be able to get by with 8GB, but my theory has always been get the best thing you can afford rather than getting the bare minimum and running the risk of regretting it later. Of course, your mileage may vary. I personally think they should have ditched the 8GB altogether at least a generation ago and made a 16GB the budget player.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

I feel like the 32gb will be by far the most popular model, apple was very smart with their pricing
Old 10-25-2010, 03:35 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPodTouch96 View Post
I think the 64 is way too much because it has pretty much the same amoount of space as a laptop.
You must have a really old laptop, i can't find any new ones with anything less than 160gb, even the 400 dollar laptops have 160gb.
And you can always get an external drive.

Sent From my Ipod Shuffle
Old 10-25-2010, 05:17 AM

64GB used to be the standard about 6 years ago, 80GB was the standard 5 years ago, and now we are up to 160GB or 250GB in netbooks and at least 320GB in inexpensive notebooks. I still don't see how 64GB is way too much even it if had the same amount of space as common notebooks. Having that amount of storage doesn't instantly make it too much. Now, I can understand if someone thinks it is too much as they only have 12GB of content after collecting for 5+ years. The whole notebook comparison shouldn't be a decision for deciding if something has too much storage space or not.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 10-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_zero View Post
I personally think they should have ditched the 8GB altogether at least a generation ago and made a 16GB the budget player.
That would have eliminated the, as I call it, bait aspect of the lowest priced model.

More than likely, 90% or more of touch users will never need more than 16GB. More than likely at least 50% of purchasers of the 8GB capacity will upgrade to a larger one within a model year. Me, with my 300GB media collection, could easily use a 16GB touch from now until the end of time. I'm syncing every single day because of podcasts anyhow, and I'm obviously better at using smartlists than Apple's own programmers, so I have absolutely no need for extra storage "just because".

16GB is really the sweet spot for a device like this - almost everyone will find it just about perfect.

So, while it would probably cost them just about the same to make a 16GB touch as an 8GB touch, they would lose millions in sales to people like me who had to buy the 32GB just to get the extra 8GB or so I actually needed.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:46 PM

Technology made me fat

$229 or $299? So, 80 bucks for quadruple memory. Seems like a no brainer to me...

Videos are hogs. 2 or 3 movies and 8 gigs are gone...

Gilda's Club needs your help in helping people and their families deal with cancer
No stuffed felines, small boys, or iPods were harmed in the making of this signature...
Old 10-25-2010, 09:57 PM

Reclined Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
That would have eliminated the, as I call it, bait aspect of the lowest priced model.

More than likely, 90% or more of touch users will never need more than 16GB. More than likely at least 50% of purchasers of the 8GB capacity will upgrade to a larger one within a model year. Me, with my 300GB media collection, could easily use a 16GB touch from now until the end of time. I'm syncing every single day because of podcasts anyhow, and I'm obviously better at using smartlists than Apple's own programmers, so I have absolutely no need for extra storage "just because".

16GB is really the sweet spot for a device like this - almost everyone will find it just about perfect.

So, while it would probably cost them just about the same to make a 16GB touch as an 8GB touch, they would lose millions in sales to people like me who had to buy the 32GB just to get the extra 8GB or so I actually needed.
Very salient point. Knowing Apple, that's probably very well the reason they keep pumping out devices with such anemic capacity.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_zero View Post
Knowing Apple, that's probably very well the reason they keep pumping out devices with such anemic capacity.
There certainly is no other logical explanation. Purchased at the scale Apple is buying them, the difference in unit cost between 8GB & 16GB is, if not pennies, certainly in the pocket change department of measurement, and for what they're charging, easily doable within Apple's standard profit margins.

It boils down to a lack of external competition.

The only market niche Apple is still fighting in is the smartphone market, and when the premier competitor is still shipping 8GB devices as their top of the line (albeit with SD expansion), Apple has no need to push capacity any more than they are. At that point, you might as well use it to milk money from your own consumer base, and so they do.

The only bright spot is with Android now beating the iPhone, most likely the next gen of iPhones will wind up pushing their capacity as one thing Apple can compete on without effort, which means the touch will get a capacity bump in keeping with the tradition of fewer and/or compromised features but greater storage capacity.

Topic: 8GB or 32GB ipod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.