Cracked LCD on new iPod Touch 4... :( :( :(

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

nickelodeonn

I was in gym class.
Let me tell you, this is the most fragile iPod I've ever had.
I pulled my pants out of my locker, and my iPod fell out. It was a gentle fall, so I expected nothing, but now, the top left (ALMOST to the camera) is like shattered. You can see inside and see the hardware on one part. It wasn't even a bad fall at all! I've been extremely careful with it too. I didn't expect anything to come out of pulling my pants out of my locker.

Anyway.

What can I do? Sell it on eBay for $250? (32gb)?! Wait for an LCD replacement and do it myself? Bring it to apple and pay $100? (is that what they charge?)

what shall i do!? PLEASE help me :((( :confused:

kornchild2002

First off, there is no such thing as a "gentle fall" when it come to iPods unless you drop it from 1 ft off the ground onto carpet. It sounds like you dropped it on a hard floor and, given the height of lockers, that would not be a gentle fall at all.

There are a couple of options that you can do but they will all be expensive. Additionally, a $250 selling price is way too high for an iPod with a broken screen (especially when a new 32GB model without a broken screen is $300). You are pretty much stuck with either repairing it yourself or sending it off to a 3rd party repair center. Apple won't even touch the iPod as they do not cover user damage (even if it was an accident).

nickelodeonn

First off, there is no such thing as a "gentle fall" when it come to iPods unless you drop it from 1 ft off the ground onto carpet. It sounds like you dropped it on a hard floor and, given the height of lockers, that would not be a gentle fall at all.

There are a couple of options that you can do but they will all be expensive. Additionally, a $250 selling price is way too high for an iPod with a broken screen (especially when a new 32GB model without a broken screen is $300). You are pretty much stuck with either repairing it yourself or sending it off to a 3rd party repair center. Apple won't even touch the iPod as they do not cover user damage (even if it was an accident).
Can't you pay Apple $100 to fix it...?

kornchild2002

Not that I am aware of. Last time I checked, Apple charges between $100 and $250 for out-of-warranty service depending on which generation iPod touch you have and its capacity. Apple charges $100 for service on the 8GB 4G model, $150 for the 32GB 4G, and $200 for the 64GB 4G model.

However, there is this little condition:
"Service may not be available if your iPod has been damaged due to accident or abuse."

Here is another direct quote from their repair terms:
"Apple reserves the right to refuse service on products that have serial numbers altered, defaced or removed or that are damaged due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes. In such event, Apple may return the product to you without servicing it, and may charge you the Diagnostic Fee, plus applicable tax."

So, as you can see, accidental damage is not covered under warranty and out of warranty service. Essentially you are SOL. Apple will repair an iPod that is faulty due to normal usage (ie not dropping it) and charge the prices I previously gave and has an out of warranty battery replacement plan, that is it. The $100 price you keep seeing is what Apple charges just to diagnose your iPod, that doesn't even cover costs of repair.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
If you bought it with a credit card, many cards have a "buyer protection plan" against theft or accidental damage in the first 90 days, as well as a 1 year warranty extension. Many people have this protection and either don't realize or forget about it.

kornchild2002

Ah, I forgot about that. Of course you have to contact the credit card supplier to see if they have that service and if it affects your interest rate.

speedythecat

Yeah, I'm having a hard time picturing a "gentle" fall from locker, though I graduated in high school in 1987 and maybe today's modern lockers are much lower to the ground and instead of concrete floor maybe it's that really shaggy carpeting that came back out with alot of padding underneith. Barring any of that nonsense, it wasn't gentle. :D

A member on this forum the other day just said he dropped every ipod he ever owned multiple times and never broke one even without a case. But I'm not so sure they are built the same and lets face it, most iPod touch 4G threads haven't been flattering.

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation, but like korn said, $250 ain't gonna happen even if there is a sucker born every minute. I saw someone yesterday selling new 4g 32gb for $277 and free ship. Maybe amazon, I'm not sure now. You'd be lucky to clear $250 on a perfect one (used) after ebay & paypal fees and such.

If you paid for it with VISA, there is that forementioned chance there (slim), and I think you're next move would be to find someone who repairs these things because Apple is probably going to rape you, hard.

And please don't take my post the wrong way because I am sincerely sorry to hear about your situation. Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

kornchild2002

Actually, I think the 4G iPod touch threads have been OK for a new piece of hardware. You are always going to see more posts from people with problems (which most can be easily fixed) than from people who are generally praising the device. In fact, most people here register to find a fix and then never come back. They buy a new iPod, see something they don't like (or don't understand), come to iLounge, make a post, and then disappear. Much like the iPad section of the forums, I feel that these posts will dwindle with time and you will see more positive ones (though there will be the typical "holiday" season flood when people get a new iPod for holidaymas).

However, I would not be surprised if the 4G iPod touch turns out to be one of the most fragile models. The thing has a large glass cover, still uses the chrome on the back (which is likely very thin), and the whole model itself is extremely thin. It would have been sturdier had Apple constructed it a little thicker and used the anodized aluminum as they have done on the iPod shuffle, iPod nano, and iPad. They decided to make some aesthetic design choices (likely due to Steve's fetish for all things emaciated) and it likely resulted in losing a little durability.

nickelodeonn

If you bought it with a credit card, many cards have a "buyer protection plan" against theft or accidental damage in the first 90 days, as well as a 1 year warranty extension. Many people have this protection and either don't realize or forget about it.
I. Absolutely. Love. You. Right. Now.!!!!!!!
I told my mom what you just said. She said, "you're always getting lucky! We have the buyer protection plan with Visa!" and she said she'll call tomorrow!!!!! :) :) :) oh my goddd i LOVE YOU!
Are you for sure that they'll refund? :confused:

Flyboybob

When you buy the replacement buy a sturdy case. I keep my 2 gen. iPod Touch in a Contour case. There are lot's to choose from. Also, be careful. Treat it very carefully. Don't leave it in your pants pocket because your mother might put it through the washing machine. That's not covered either. It's a mini computer treat it like a valuable piece of jewelry.

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
I. Absolutely. Love. You. Right. Now.!!!!!!!
I told my mom what you just said. She said, "you're always getting lucky! We have the buyer protection plan with Visa!" and she said she'll call tomorrow!!!!! :) :) :) oh my goddd i LOVE YOU!
Are you for sure that they'll refund? :confused:
Depends on the card. My American Express re-paid us in full for my son's 1st gen Mini that died after 20 months of use (he got a nice 5th gen iPod with the refund), and they also fully covered my other son's Touch that was stolen from his locker about a month after he got it. They will also cover loss and accidental damage in the first 90 days. Definitely a feature worth having, but read the details of your plan carefully in case making claims has any impact on your interest rate (as someone mentioned above, but not an issue if you don't carry a balance on that card). Good luck!

mulimulix

OMG!!! You may just have found my ticket out of going back to my old nano!

The exact same thing happened to my 4g touch 8gb yesterday (minus the locker) and I thought I was gonna have to cough up another $130 on top of the the $265 i payed for it last week! (I live in Australia, they are more expensive here).

I bought it with mastercard and their website says there is 'Purchase Assurance' which "Provides coverage for most items you purchase with your eligible MasterCard card if the item is damaged or stolen within 90 days of the date of purchase."

I joined these forums just to reply to your post and to thank you. Ill let you guys know how it goes:D:D

nickelodeonn

OMG!!! You may just have found my ticket out of going back to my old nano!

The exact same thing happened to my 4g touch 8gb yesterday (minus the locker) and I thought I was gonna have to cough up another $130 on top of the the $265 i payed for it last week! (I live in Australia, they are more expensive here).

I bought it with mastercard and their website says there is 'Purchase Assurance' which "Provides coverage for most items you purchase with your eligible MasterCard card if the item is damaged or stolen within 90 days of the date of purchase."

I joined these forums just to reply to your post and to thank you. Ill let you guys know how it goes:D:D
Yay!!!:) I'm glad that you can get your money back!

My plan was iffy. They only did it if there was like a flood in the house, or somebody pushed me and made me drop it. I wasn't going to lie...I dropped it myself.

I brought it to the Apple store and let them know my issues before I dropped it. They checked it. Yess, it was glued on wrong! <3 :D

He came back with a new iPod for me!!!! I was so happy! I bought a new case for it xD It's a hard case & griffin. I am super duper happy. I love this forum very very very much.
:)

mulimulix

Bad news everyone! Well, it's only bad for my circumstance.

Turns out it is up to the provider of the credit card what privileges you get with it and the bank I got it from only gives that certain privilege with their gold cards, which I don't have!

It is freaking annoying, I got so excited, but not to be. I suppose I'll have to pay the $120 to get it fixed :(

kornchild2002

$100 is only for the 8GB 4G model. Otherwise you will be charged $150 or $200. That is also if Apple actually accepts it for repair (which there is a good chance that they won't as their EULA clearly states that they do not repair iPods that were broken due to accidental conditions, read my earlier posts where I quote it) and deem that the screen can be repaired.

nickelodeonn

Bad news everyone! Well, it's only bad for my circumstance.

Turns out it is up to the provider of the credit card what privileges you get with it and the bank I got it from only gives that certain privilege with their gold cards, which I don't have!

It is freaking annoying, I got so excited, but not to be. I suppose I'll have to pay the $120 to get it fixed :(
Ahhh I'm sooo sorry :(

This is what I think you should do:
Test to see if when you turn off the lights, if you can see light coming out of the side. That's what saved my butt. They traded it in, even with a huge crack & told me to "be more careful". Just try! You get 80% of what you ask for in life :) Don't start off telling them that you want to pay them to replace it! Try telling them that the light was leaking. They will see that that's a reported case & possibly give you a new iPod...just try :) I got a new one within 10 minutes.

Best of luck, my friend!

mulimulix

Ahhh I'm sooo sorry :(

This is what I think you should do:
Test to see if when you turn off the lights, if you can see light coming out of the side. That's what saved my butt. They traded it in, even with a huge crack & told me to "be more careful". Just try! You get 80% of what you ask for in life :) Don't start off telling them that you want to pay them to replace it! Try telling them that the light was leaking. They will see that that's a reported case & possibly give you a new iPod...just try :) I got a new one within 10 minutes.

Best of luck, my friend!
What do you mean with the light coming out the side?

When I put it on the side, it looks normal (minus a huge crack in the screen)

kornchild2002

Some 4G iPod touch users are experiencing something called light leakage. A very small amount of light comes out of the sides of the iPod touch (near where the glass meets the meal) due to improper display assembly. It isn't a big deal as it doesn't affect how the iPod is used or decrease screen quality. However, some users (ie one) have reported success in bringing their accidentally damaged iPod in for an exchange and their original units suffered from light leakage. I am sure you can find pictures of what it looks like online.

nickelodeonn

Some 4G iPod touch users are experiencing something called light leakage. A very small amount of light comes out of the sides of the iPod touch (near where the glass meets the meal) due to improper display assembly. It isn't a big deal as it doesn't affect how the iPod is used or decrease screen quality. However, some users (ie one) have reported success in bringing their accidentally damaged iPod in for an exchange and their original units suffered from light leakage. I am sure you can find pictures of what it looks like online.
^what he said :)
I'm the only one?!

kornchild2002

No, you aren't the only one experiencing this. However, you are the only person making the claim that you cracked your iPod's screen, took it in, and they replaced due to the light leakage issue.