Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Touch 2nd Gen vs iPod Touch 3rd Gen

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 AM

Freshman Lounger

iPod Touch 2nd Gen vs iPod Touch 3rd Gen

Hi

I am in the market for a 2nd hand iPod Touch. I originally went in wanting to buy a 3rd Gen iPod mainly for the multitasking and get the latest OS. But is there really that much difference between the releases? Just wondering, as no point spending more if theres not much in it. I take it you can run any app released with any iPod Touch releases from Gen 1 to Gen 4?

Cheers guys

Martin

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Hi and welcome to iLounge.

Almost every app will run on any iPod touch as long as it doesn't require specific hardware features. For example, the first-generation iPod touch didn't include any audio input, even from an external mic, meaning voice recording and VoIP apps won't run on that device. Further, since the 1G iPod touch can't run iOS 4, you won't be able to use apps that specifically require that version of the OS (there aren't too many of those right now, however).

The second- and third-generation iPod touch models are very similar in terms of their hardware capabilities, with the third-generation simply being available in larger capacities (64GB) and including a faster CPU, improved graphics acceleration and more RAM. If you're looking to play a lot of action-style games on the iPod touch, the third-generation device is probably a better option for these reasons.

iOS 4.0 was the first point at which the devices became somewhat fragmented in terms of features. The 3G iPod touch supports multitasking, home screen wallpapers and external Bluetooth keyboards. The 2G does not. The reason is likely due to the fact that these features wouldn't perform as well on the older hardware (ie, slower CPU, less RAM).

That said, it's also unclear if there will be any more differences as newer iOS releases come out. The first-generation iPod touch has already been abandoned by Apple in terms of the iOS 4 update. It's conceivably possible the 2G may be next when iOS 5 arrives next year.

Also, just so you're aware, the 8GB iPod touch that Apple sold alongside the 32GB/64GB models was actually a second-generation that they just kept selling. Only the 32GB and 64GB models are actually third-generation iPod touch devices.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi jhollington

Thank you very much for your reply. Much appreciated. Very helpful. I am really strapped for cash, and can really only afford a 2nd Gen iPod Touch now. I just need something to watch movies and play addictive games on the train, will I still get enough fun out of a 2nd Gen?

Cheers
Martin
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 PM

As previously stated, it all depends on how you use it. I would first cruise through the App Store and see which games you want to buy, then check their requirements. In all honesty, I don't see a reason why someone would want to step back to something released two years ago especially whenever the 2G iPod touch is slowly not being supported by many features in iOS 4 and it is likely that game developers will start focusing strictly on the 3G and 4G iPod touch (if they haven't already done so).

You could buy a 2G iPod touch now but would likely have to upgrade again in a short time whereas you can hold off, save a bit more money, and buy a 3G iPod touch that will last you longer. Portable video viewing will be about the same on both the 2G and 3G iPod touch but the real differences are in capacity and hardware packed in the 3G. That is where things will matter for games. You still might be fine with a 2G iPod touch but you can find 3G models for pretty inexpensive prices and a 3G 32GB iPod touch would be an all around better experience than a 2G 32GB iPod touch (due to the hardware differences, gaming would be better on the 3G).

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hello.

I recently ordered a used 2g touch 32gb. mainly because I wanted to be able to use a VoIP service without having the crack my ipod..plus the internal mic i heard about will be handy in case it doesn't work well with my wep 870. I don't care much for games, but I would like to be able to use my itouch as a phone using a VOIP app like vonage or whatever is the highest quality available.

Can anyone relate their experience with using the ipod touch 2g as a phone and which voip provider they used?
Old 10-09-2010, 12:02 AM

Freshman Lounger

I got my touch and it's awesome! I want to restore to 3.1.2 to wipe everything out, but itunes is telling me that it's incompatible. I was told that this was a 2nd gen ipod, but i'm beginning to wonder if it is a 3rd gen...

Is there a way to tell by serial number or something?

::edit:: nvm... its 3g.. S!@i

Last edited by Chiefboo; 10-09-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Topic: iPod Touch 2nd Gen vs iPod Touch 3rd Gen

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.