32 GB or 64 GB iPod touch?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

mank

Should I buy the 32 gb or 64 gb Ipod Touch? I have about 10 gb of music and 10 movies in my library. How much memory do apps usually take up? How about video, do videos that I record take up a lot of memory? This will be my first Ipod Touch, so I don't know much and need some input.

One more thing - I'm not going to buy another Ipod Touch after this one unless the thing dies. I'm leaning towards the 64 gb for this very reason, but it's expensive. What do you think I should get?

KNRasengan

Ditto!

Everything you explained applies almost to me!

I barely have 1 GB of music and only have 3 movies in my library. Anyway, I'm also stuck on deciding whether to get a 32 GB or 64 GB iPod Touch.

I think I would probably be okay getting a 32 GB iPod Touch but I don't know for sure as I might run out of memory. Don't forget that it has a HD Camcorder so the HD Videos will take up a bit of space also.

Anyway, if I get the 32 GB iTouch, I will eventually upgrade to a newer generation iTouch when (or if) it comes out but if I get the 64 GB iTouch, I'm probably going to keep it until it dies unless there is a major improvement in a new iTouch.

Anyway, I downloaded 3 apps already (even though I don't have the iTouch yet) and Skype is 7.5 MB, Linkin Park is 5.7 MB, and Bump is 2.3 MB. The average of that is 5.166 MB for each application. So that means about 200 apps = 1 GB. Just estimating but it seems like it is plenty of space........

Anyway dude, I'd like to thank you! Thanks to you, I actually thought about it for a bit and I've decided to get a 32 GB iTouch for myself. Hope my little thingy above ^^ will help you out too! :) It sure helped me out! XD

Kriegan

I'm waiting on a 64GB touch. I put a ton of movies on my old one. I also kept my ipod to av adapter so if i was somewhere and my friends wanted to watch a movie, i'd have quite a few on my touch to watch. Also different seasons of tv shows. ALSO, take into consideration that you don't know what you might be recording with the camera. The important thing about all of this is to keep your options open. As the saying goes, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

rob7897

A good rule of thumb is get the biggest/best you can afford. Particularly with something new to you like an iPod Touch, you don't know how much you may start using it when you get it.

kornchild2002

Yes, it is always a good rule of thumb to purchase as much as you can afford now as it will last you a little longer. In other words, it is better to spend $400 now than have to spend $300 now only to spend an additional $400 in the future. $400 stretching across a year is a whole lot better than $700 simply because your current model became completely filled.

Videos do take up quite a bit of space. Standard definition video files take up about 1.5MB for every minute and HD videos are even worse. I also don't think that you can narrow down an estimate for app sizes. Most of the apps on my iPad and 4G iPod touch are 7-8MB in size. I even have a couple that are in the 45-200MB range. So all of the sudden 1GB is no longer holding 200 apps but rather 7-8 apps.

You kind of have to judge what your future music, video, and app consumption will be like. Back in the year 2003, I purchased my first iPod. It was the 3G 10GB model. That was actually a lot for back then but Apple also had a 3G 30GB and 40GB model as well. I cheaped out and went for the 10GB one as I could not even begin to fathom what 10GB of music was. I then started ripping my CD collection with MusicMatch (this was before Apple had released iTunes for Windows) at 128kbps mp3 and all of the sudden I was up to 7GB of music. So I went back to Best Buy, returned the iPod, and picked up the 40GB model. I ended up having about 30GB worth of music after ripping all of my CDs and consumed an additional 3GB over my first year of owning it.

So the best thing you can do is purchase the maximum capacity that you can afford so you won't have to buy a new model next year (I think another good rule is to upgrade an iPod once every other generation, so buying a 4G iPod touch would mean waiting until the 6G iPod touch came out two years from now). Either that or just keep buying the mid-range model every single year as you try to continue to hold just a little bit more.

astroman33

A big factor will be whether you think you will carry around a bunch of TV shows or movies on the device... those are the real memory hogs!

I think the 32gb is the sweet spot... for only $70 more you get 4x the space. It's not worth it to spend another $100 unless you really need the space... you could spend that instead on accessories or Apple Care or a Square Trade accident protection policy. Plus, you should figure that in another year, there will be yet another Apple hi-tech gizmo you'll want... and the $100 can go toward that.

OTOH, it is true that you probably won't miss the extra $100... you probably spend that much on movies, eating out, entertainment, cable or digital phone in a few weeks! So, go ahead and live!

jasoncordelle

Personally, I'd always go bigger.

I used to have a 8gb Nano...before that I had a 4gb Nano. I then graduated to a 80gb Classic...which I then replaced with a 32gb Touch and now have a 32gb iPhone in place of that.

I wish there was a 64gb iPhone...it would be ideal...at least in the short term.

I have approx 6gb of apps, 20gb of music and a couple of gb of video...and only have 300mb left.

Some apps a half a gig in size now (see some of the BIG games like Spderman with PSP-like graphics and gameplay), so bigger can always benefit you...IF it's right for you.

For me - bigger will always be better.

For others - they'd struggle to EVER fill 32gb.

Code Monkey

I'll give the alternate opinion: I have over 200GB of music. On top of that I've got T.V. shows, movies, etc.. I enjoy the apps a bit too much. Yet, if Apple had offered a 16GB as the entry level, that's exactly what I would have bought. Since there's not, I got the 32 - of which about 20GB sits empty. Sure, you "need" bigger to carry more with you, but unless you travel for more than a week at a time or have the attention span of a 3 y.o., you are never, ever, going to actually use more than 16GB of storage even for all the media types the touch supports (there is a reason there is no 16GB capacity available, and that is it).

I've got one set of ears, one set of eyes, and only 24 hours in the day. I could spend 400% of the cost of such flash storage to pay for another pair of mink lined, platinum spun thread underwear for Steve Jobs, or I can just sync every day or three, which I was going to do anyhow because of podcasts, and let smartlists handle the music management and save my money.

I get it, people are like Gollum and want to carry all their precious music with them, and Apple loves you for it.

Website
www.ilounge.com
I basically agree with what Code Monkey just said. I have a 3.5 terabyte library, so I long ago gave up on the idea of carrying my entire media collection around with me :)

With the iOS devices, 16-32GB is kind of the "sweet spot" depending on your app usage. I found 16GB to be more than tolerable for media content, including video, but some of the apps can push that requirement up a bit -- the better games tend to run 100-200MB each, and the turn-by-turn GPS navigation apps are especially huge at around 1.5-2GB. That said, you likely won't have any use for GPS apps on an iPod touch unless you plan to buy a car dock with an external GPS receiver and use it as a GPS in your car.

The HD video recording is definitely something else to consider. You can't record in SD on the iPod touch -- it's 720p HD or nothing, and you can expect that to take up around 80MB per minute of video recording, which means a half-hour of video will eat up around 2.5GB of storage. This is something to keep in mind if you plan to shoot and store a lot of video. Even a dozen smaller clips can quickly add up.

Similarly, due to the higher-resolution Retina Display, photos synced to the iPod touch from iTunes will be larger than they would have been on previous models, as iTunes resizes photos when syncing for the screen resolution of the target device.

That said, I'm perfectly comfortable with my 32GB iPhone 4, even with a GPS navigation app installed and several hundred photos synced onto it. I don't keep very many movies or TV shows on my device, however, as I would never watch a full-length movie on my device except when I'm stuck on a plane or a train for a few hours with nothing better to do.

PetiePal

32GB
-You don't have much music
-You don't plan on carrying many podcasts, photos, apps or movies with you

64 GB
-You have a considerable amount of music or you know your collection will grow with time.
-You have a lot of photos
-You listen to multiple podcasts
-You like to have a lot of movies or video on your device

It's pretty much that easy :)

I myself got the 64GB. I had my 1st gen 16GB Touch since launch and it was my main iPod for a year when my 80GB Video 5th gen got stolen. 16GB got me about 1700 songs, which I was SO SICK OF while holding out for the new Touches! I wasn't going to get 32GB with at least 8000 songs...so I opted for the 64GB so I've got room to grow PLUS room for apps, photos and video!!

Code Monkey

With the iOS devices, 16-32GB is kind of the "sweet spot" depending on your app usage. I found 16GB to be more than tolerable for media content, including video, but some of the apps can push that requirement up a bit ...snip...

That said, I'm perfectly comfortable with my 32GB iPhone 4, even with a GPS navigation app installed and several hundred photos synced onto it. I don't keep very many movies or TV shows on my device, however, as I would never watch a full-length movie on my device except when I'm stuck on a plane or a train for a few hours with nothing better to do.
Yet, you're also far more of a "power user" than your average schmoe. If 16GB is tolerable for you and 32GB a nice, roomy expanse, I'm sure my observation that the vast majority would do just fine with 16GB holds.

It's pretty much that easy :)
No, no it's not. Between me and Jesse here we could fill over 60 64GB touches, and yet I am 100% certain I could use a 16GB daily and know I'm never going to hit a wall with my 32GB I had to buy since Apple knows that 16GB is all the vast majority actually needs (and 8GB is too small for the vast majority, hence the virtually free money to Apple's bottom line by omitting the sweet spot capacity thereby creating lots of supersized upgrades to the 32GB).

What you need is based on use and iTunes/iPod management skills. What you have is about as relevant as what color underwear you have on.

jasoncordelle

What you need is based on use and iTunes/iPod management skills. What you have is about as relevant as what color underwear you have on.
I agree with you here, but what you missed was perhaps the most pertinent point...

It is also based on what you want.

That is the least rational, but probably most prevalent reason to have more (or less) storage space.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Yet, you're also far more of a "power user" than your average schmoe. If 16GB is tolerable for you and 32GB a nice, roomy expanse, I'm sure my observation that the vast majority would do just fine with 16GB holds.
Exactly. I think most people tend to take the "more is better" approach without really understanding how much capacity they're truly dealing with. I see the same arguments about bandwidth caps on wireless carriers -- people make ridiculous amounts of noise about being ripped off by wireless carriers that "only" provide 5 or 6GB of data a month, not realizing that they'd have to be doing something pretty insane to actually use even half of that (for comparison, I used just under 5GB in all of 2009).

Storage capacity is even more deceptive, since some people have large libraries and think they need to have everything with them. I've often felt that someone should write an app that analyzes how much music people actually listen to over the course of a year and then determines what capacity iPod they really need based on their actual listening habits, not their perceptions. The only time I've ever found any value in carrying my entire music library around with me is in a party setting where I want to be "that guy" who can come up with any track off my iPod on demand (a mind-set that I grew out of a long time ago :) ).

The only major thing that changes the equation with iOS devices like the iPhone and iPod touch is the presence of apps. If you're buying the iPod touch with an interest in being a hardcore portable gamer, it's not unreasonable to add an extra couple of GB just for the apps you're going to want to carry around with you, since it's not practical to try and rotate apps on and off of your device like you would with media content.

rob7897

Its all about being realistic on how you will AND might use it - particularly if you havent had an IPT before, like me.
Personally, I am a gollum. I have about 50GB of music and about 20GB of video (movies, TV and music videos) which all fits nicely on my 80GB 5G iPod. When I get my 64GB IPT, I will still carry all my music because I like to pick what I want when I want it. This will leave me with about 10GB for photos, apps etc and I will then have to pick and choose any TV or movies I want on an ad-hoc basis If find I have filled it up, I will have to start to manage my content more pro-actively until I can finally get a 128GB IPT.

Code Monkey

I agree with you here, but what you missed was perhaps the most pertinent point...

It is also based on what you want.

That is the least rational, but probably most prevalent reason to have more (or less) storage space.
My observation on these forums is that if everybody went with that reasoning, failing to temper their wants according to need, they'd still be almost exactly in the same place today as when they got their first i-device, but hundreds, if not thousands, poorer than if they bothered to engage their brain. Storage capacity is a racket for Apple to generate lots and lots of easy money. It's no more effort or cost (beyond the flash chip itself) for them to build a 8GB touch than it is for them to build a 64GB touch, yet they charge the end user about 400% the parts cost to go from 8GB to 32GB, and another 200% for the difference between the 32GB to the 64GB (technically, the 64GB is the least marked up of any of the capacities for whatever that little bit of "spend more to save more" reasoning gets you ;)).

I can carry around four days of non-stop smartlist generated music mixes, 250 full hand picked albums, a couple of dozen apps, a dozen TV shows, several movies, and decent photo album of personal photos and still have room left over on a 32GB touch. Explain to me again where *wanting* 64GB or 128GB begins to make sense for anyone. If you honestly feel you need to have access to more than a few hundred albums at any given time, you better be a DJ, because as someone with a huge music collection, I can tell you, it takes me a good four to five years to cycle through 100% of my collection, and I listen to a lot of music compared to the vast majority of H. sapiens. Buying an iPod to hold all of it, even if such an iPod existed, makes no sense whatsoever. I will have upgraded devices at least twice before I exhausted what I put on that hypothetical iPod I bought half a decade ago.

rob7897

For me personally, if I fancy some 50's rock n roll, or 70's funk, or 80's pop - i've got it wherever I am. Thats the driver for me. However, I do have a manageable library size. I don't know what I would do with a library 10 times the size of my ipod. There is obviously a lot of music that I haven't heard yet, but I like what I like and it suits me. I think we have all given the OP some food for thought, anyway!

Last edited:

PetiePal

I believe you can use Last.FM Scrobbler to analyze your listening habits for how much music really gets listed to or what artists in the course of a year.

PetiePal

Agreed I'm pushing a 4 TB library at this point, spread over 2 Data Robotics Drobos lol. Ouch!

I basically agree with what Code Monkey just said. I have a 3.5 terabyte library, so I long ago gave up on the idea of carrying my entire media collection around with me :)

With the iOS devices, 16-32GB is kind of the "sweet spot" depending on your app usage. I found 16GB to be more than tolerable for media content, including video, but some of the apps can push that requirement up a bit -- the better games tend to run 100-200MB each, and the turn-by-turn GPS navigation apps are especially huge at around 1.5-2GB. That said, you likely won't have any use for GPS apps on an iPod touch unless you plan to buy a car dock with an external GPS receiver and use it as a GPS in your car.

The HD video recording is definitely something else to consider. You can't record in SD on the iPod touch -- it's 720p HD or nothing, and you can expect that to take up around 80MB per minute of video recording, which means a half-hour of video will eat up around 2.5GB of storage. This is something to keep in mind if you plan to shoot and store a lot of video. Even a dozen smaller clips can quickly add up.

Similarly, due to the higher-resolution Retina Display, photos synced to the iPod touch from iTunes will be larger than they would have been on previous models, as iTunes resizes photos when syncing for the screen resolution of the target device.

Website
www.ilounge.com
I believe you can use Last.FM Scrobbler to analyze your listening habits for how much music really gets listed to or what artists in the course of a year.
Last.FM and similar tools would help you keep track of what you're listening to, but they don't really help in terms of analyzing this in usable numbers that reflect how much content you would want to carry, and certainly don't spend any time looking at the iTunes library to indicate all the content that you don't listen to.