Itunes 10 why do I bother !

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Lodesman

I have updated to Itunes 10 and, of course, there are problems !

Some of my downloaded items from the store cannot be transferred to my Itouch - although the items appear on my computer under the downloaded items I am told that I have to authorise my computer to use them of transfer them to my Itouch.

I cannot play them on the computer or tranfer them to the Itouch

When I do this I am told that the computer is already authorised !!

Any ideas please ?

I don't know why I updated - everything was working perfectly with the previous settings.

Thanks

Tom

kornchild2002

If that doesn't work, simply send Apple and e-mail and they will deauthorize every single computer associated with your account. Then you can re-authorize your computer.

jasoncordelle

My issues with iTunes 10 seem to be quite random.

Whilst syncing my iPhone, I have had a lengthy wait while it "verified iPhone" then it started syncing and promptly crashed.

I have now only got 1800 songs in my iPod app from the original 3850 (all still in iTunes) and no photos, 3 videos (of the original 6) and no podcasts.

I have tried and re-tried and I cannot get the damn thing to work.

I left it running all night in the vain hope it'd do its own thing...nada. iTunes crashed again.

kornchild2002

hmm... My experiences with iTunes 10 have been quite the opposite. Actually, this is one of the rare few times where I actually benefited from upgrading to a new version of iTunes immediately. It runs a little faster on my nettop, RAM usage went down from 100MB to 68MB (that is actually quite a bit for a system that only has 2GB of RAM to begin with), and standard definition videos playback a little smoother. I can now use iTunes to playback videos instead of opening up a third party program.

Syncing has been fine with both my iPad and my iPod classic as well. I am not saying that you are wrong or anything. This definitely wouldn't be the first time that someone encountered issues after upgrading to the latest version of iTunes. It is just that my experiences have actually been nice.

txcybermom

I have just upgraded to iTunes 10 and have been trying for the last two days to upgrade the software for my iTouch. It says in iTunes that version 4.0.2 is available, do I want to upgrade. When I click update it says it is backing up my iPod Touch but stays there for hours. I even let it run all night last night, when I woke up and checked it, it was still right where it was when I went to bed. What am I doing wrong or how can I shorten the backup time?

Website
www.ilounge.com
What model of iPod touch are you using, and is it already running iOS 4.x or still running 3.x? The first update to iOS 4.x from an older iPod touch (second-generation) or iPhone 3 will take longer as it needs to backup everything on your device, including all of your music and other media content.

That said, overnight still sounds a little extreme. Make sure you're using a USB port directly on your computer rather than a USB hub, and try shutting down any other applications.

You can also speed up the process by manually deselecting your music and media content from synchronization before doing the upgrade. This will remove it all from your device, but it will also give iTunes less to backup. You can always re-add it again once the update is complete.

txcybermom

Model is MC086LL (not sure what generation that is but 8G) running 3.1.3. I will try deselecting music and media from sync and see if that helps. THANKS!

Website
www.ilounge.com
8GB would definitely be a second-generation model, as Apple never made a third-generation model in that capacity.

My guess is that it's definitely the iOS 3.x -> 4.x backup process that's taking such a long time. Hopefully removing all of the media content will speed up the update process as it will have less to backup. If you just deselect the main sync option for each category (ie, "Sync Music" "Sync Movies" etc), iTunes should remember the specific content that you had selected, so you can re-enable it after the update by simply re-selecting those same sync options.

jasoncordelle

I had yet another failure last night - left it going all night...after approx 5 hrs, it'd re-synced 900 of 3850 songs and I left it to it.

This morning...message box - "iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to shut down..."

GGAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I've had enough.

I'm going to delete iTunes 10, reload it and give it one more shot. Then I'll likely give up all together and find a version of 9.x to download in its place.

kornchild2002

The only bad thing about back tracking is that your main library file is upgraded every single time you upgrade iTunes. Newer library files won't work with older versions of iTunes. So your library xml file was upgraded whenever you moved to iTunes 10 and it won't work with iTunes 9. The library file holds your playlists, ratings, play counts, non-embedded album art, etc. So, unless you made a copy of your old library file, you will have to start from scratch with the info I previously listed.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Actually, iTunes should make a copy of your old library when you upgrade and store it in the "Previous iTunes Libraries" sub-folder. You can copy it out from there if you want to downgrade, however you'll of course lose any information you've added since the upgrade to iTunes 10, since this previous library is simply a static copy of what the database looked like right before the upgrade.

jasoncordelle

So I found what the issue was...I had (without really realising I'd done it) checked the "downgrade higher bitrate songs to 128" or whatever it says...this was causing the entire library to be re-encoded at a lower bitrate and subsequently has caused the slowness...what was causing the crash, I cannot say...most likely a corrupt file somewhere in the library at or about the 1800 song mark.

So...moral of the story: Don't use that "feature" and it'll sync happily in a matter of minutes.

kerryokie1

what worked for me (after several days of frustration and words I wouldn't use in church) was to hook both my external hard drive which holds my itunes library and my device directly into a high speed USB port on my computer. I was unable to complete a sync when I used a hub to connect my ipod/iphone