Trouble with USB not recognizing 2nd Gen Touch

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

TigerJon73

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post as I'm looking for a new place to get help with my Apple questions, as the Apple forums have been no help.

I have an Ipod 2nd Gen Touch/Itunes/Windows 7 issue that has had me climbing the walls for a few weeks now and I just want to get it solved once and for all. There are a lot of details to this fiasco, so I will try to give as much info as I can. Here goes:

Recently, a friend and I built a new PC running Windows 7 Home Prem(32 bit). The machine this replaced was an old Dell 4400 running XP Home. Once the new PC was completed I installed the latest version of Itunes. In order to get all of my music onto the new machine I uploaded all of it from the old Dell to a Western Digital external HD and then placed on the C:drive of the new machine. Then, I just drag and dropped everything into Itunes. I then synced and everything seemed well. A day later I was listening to my Touch when I noticed a ton of the music skipping and a ton of artwork distorted. These problems do not occur while listening to the same songs in Itunes on the new machine. After a few days of searching for why this was going on and getting nowhere, I decided to restore the Touch and start over. This is where I really started to notice lots of problems. Towards the end of the restore I got an error message (error 9). I figured I may have bumped the USB cable, so I tried another restore. Same thing this time, however, this time my Touch bricked and I couldn't get it running again no matter what I tried, so the next day I took it to the local Apple store. Even though it is out of warranty, the technician was gracious enough to get it powered up and restored. I took it home that evening and tried the restore again....same thing, but this time I tried it just once. Also, during these failed restore attempts and previous attempts at syncing, the USB fballoon tells me that it fails to install the drivers, states the device may not work, yet still syncs, but won't restore. Neither would the device show up under the USB devices in Device Manager or as a drive in My Computer. Next, I powered up my old Dell and was able to successfully restore it. Also, the USB recognized it. After a few days of unsuccessfully trying to un-install, sync and re-install Itunes on my new PC, I decided to switch to my laptop (Dell running XP Home Media) to restore and sync since it runs faster than the old desktop...another PC that everything works fine on. Also, during this whole time, I have been able to successfully sync my wife's Nano to the new PC and the USB recognizes it and it's also recognized in My Computer (the craziest part of this whole mess). In addition, I took my Touch to my office and hooked it up to a machine there with 7 and the USB recognized it fine (Itune was not installed on this machine). So, with this info I un-installed Itunes (and everything else such as Bonjour and Quickplayer) on the new PC and hooked up the Touch....it was recognized by the USB! So with this info, there has to be a problem with the install of Itunes and the subsequent communication with a Touch only (since the Nano worked) vis a vi the USB port. Last night I thought I solved it when I clicked on Apple software update and some updates did install, however, after I synced I started getting the skipping music and bad artwork again. Also, the restore failed and now the Touch is bricked again. So, I'm going to have to take it back to Apple and hope they can bring it back to life again. I will say that I do not know if l I have all the ports necessary open in order to fix this (but I imagine everything is open). I run a Zonealarm FW and during one attempted install of Itunes and Sync I turned it off, but I don't know if the Windows FW automatically turned on it its place. As for internet connection, I have LAN going from my modem into a Linksys router and the new PC hardwired to the router.

So, there it is. I really would appreciate help on this issue. I'm to the point I just want to know what the problem is. If the Touch is shot and I need to get a new on, so be it, but if it's okay, there has to be a logical eplanation for this. Also, I saw this article in the Apple support pages, but I cannot even try it if Itunes needs to be installed because, again, Device Manager will not recognize the damn thing if Itunes is installed (but it'll recognize my little WD HD). Thanks for any help.

Jon:mad:

Zurk

Hi Jon
I read your post and I had a few Ideas for you to try.
First Make sure you have the correct Chipset drivers for your new PC Motherboard, Sometimes I have found that if you try to use
the drivers that Windows installs when you fist install windows
they can cause all kinds of weird problems.

If you have no problems with drivers, the virus or Firewall could also be your problem. Were I live my internet provider is Brighthouse, they hand out a free virus and Firewall program to the customers.I have found this problem on almost every customers pc I have worked on that had these two programs installed. The problems would be either the Virus or the Firewall programs. They would either let a program install but not let the whole program run when you tried to use it, or it wouldn’t be installed at all. it is possible that the driver that is installed by the “AppleMobileDeviceSupport” part of the iTunes initial install is either not getting installed or the driver is not being allowed to start up when it is needed by the iPod touch. What I have started doing is completely uninstalling the Virus and Firewall Programs and then test the PC and see if it runs a little better. Also uninstall iTunes, then reinstall it and see if that helps out any. As far as why the Nano is working, it could be that it is using a windows 7 Generic based driver since you are using it like a usb drive so that you can view it in the my Computer folder.

As for transferring your iTunes Library.
I’m still kind of new to iTunes but I thought the best way to transfer your collection was either to sync your iPod to your new PC and load the music from your iPod to the PC, or back it all up to discs from your old PC with iTunes backup tool and then import it to the new PC. Like I said I’m still new to iTunes but maybe someone more experienced with iTunes here could clarify this for us.

Also, as far as not being able to see your iPod Touch in my Computer.
I have found that the iPod Touch by default doesn't show up in my computer.But,there is a pretty cool FREE (my favorite price) program called “Phone Disk”. Its offered free until Dec 1 2010. This program will make the iPod Touch show up in My Computer. I’m still in the process of checking it out though.

When you finally get all of this working and you still have a problem with your album art not showing up on the iPod Touch correctly, you could try this Windows Media Player Plug-in Called “MGTEK dopisp” it’s a full demo for 30 days so you can try it out, it’s worked out pretty good for me so far.

Just to Clarify: I have nothing to do with “Phone Disk” or “MGTEK dopisp” I’m just passing along what has worked for me.

I hope I could help
Zurk

TigerJon73

Hi Jon
I read your post and I had a few Ideas for you to try.
First Make sure you have the correct Chipset drivers for your new PC Motherboard, Sometimes I have found that if you try to use
the drivers that Windows installs when you fist install windows
they can cause all kinds of weird problems.

If you have no problems with drivers, the virus or Firewall could also be your problem. Were I live my internet provider is Brighthouse, they hand out a free virus and Firewall program to the customers.I have found this problem on almost every customers pc I have worked on that had these two programs installed. The problems would be either the Virus or the Firewall programs. They would either let a program install but not let the whole program run when you tried to use it, or it wouldn’t be installed at all. it is possible that the driver that is installed by the “AppleMobileDeviceSupport” part of the iTunes initial install is either not getting installed or the driver is not being allowed to start up when it is needed by the iPod touch. What I have started doing is completely uninstalling the Virus and Firewall Programs and then test the PC and see if it runs a little better. Also uninstall iTunes, then reinstall it and see if that helps out any. As far as why the Nano is working, it could be that it is using a windows 7 Generic based driver since you are using it like a usb drive so that you can view it in the my Computer folder.

As for transferring your iTunes Library.
I’m still kind of new to iTunes but I thought the best way to transfer your collection was either to sync your iPod to your new PC and load the music from your iPod to the PC, or back it all up to discs from your old PC with iTunes backup tool and then import it to the new PC. Like I said I’m still new to iTunes but maybe someone more experienced with iTunes here could clarify this for us.

Also, as far as not being able to see your iPod Touch in my Computer.
I have found that the iPod Touch by default doesn't show up in my computer.But,there is a pretty cool FREE (my favorite price) program called “Phone Disk”. Its offered free until Dec 1 2010. This program will make the iPod Touch show up in My Computer. I’m still in the process of checking it out though.

When you finally get all of this working and you still have a problem with your album art not showing up on the iPod Touch correctly, you could try this Windows Media Player Plug-in Called “MGTEK dopisp” it’s a full demo for 30 days so you can try it out, it’s worked out pretty good for me so far.

Just to Clarify: I have nothing to do with “Phone Disk” or “MGTEK dopisp” I’m just passing along what has worked for me.

I hope I could help
Zurk
Zurk,

I appreciate your trying to help me with this. It is a rather strange set of events; hence probably the reason why so many have viewed my post but few haven't commented.

I spoke with an Apple expert by phone on Friday night that believes it's a firmware issue. She said I can set up a Genius Bar appointment at the local Apple store and they can run a sort of diagnostic that can look for the crash points when the USB bus drops during the restore. I don't know if a firmware update is as simple as just installing the latest touch OS. I wish I could try that, but since it's bricked, I can't. I'll let you know how this turns out and thanks again.

Jon

hamz9561

I know that this may sound kind of simple, but have tried plugging the sync cable into a different USB port? Before getting too far, restart your computer with sync cable unplugged. Open iTunes after you're finished rebooting. Plug in the sync cable and your iPod to a different USB port and see if it recognizes the iPod. When I've had a problem with USB peripherals, sometimes unplugging them and plugging them into another USB port fixes the problem. Hope this helps.

Glitcher

You don't need Apple's help to unbrick your iPod. Just look on YouTube for a method of kicking your current firmware out of recovery mode. blackra1n or Spirit works fine for me on 3.1.2.

TigerJon73

You don't need Apple's help to unbrick your iPod. Just look on YouTube for a method of kicking your current firmware out of recovery mode. blackra1n or Spirit works fine for me on 3.1.2.
To answer the previous two responses:

1. Yes. I have tried every USB port on the machine.

2. I cannot even get the damn thing to power up....no matter what I try. I am convinced this is a firmware problem with my touch.