OS 3.0 for 1st gen iPod Touch

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ukgp.Merlin

I got an iPod touch a few years back that I regretfully didn't keep it really up to date softwarewise. I also had some syncronisation problems as I set it up on a computer that doesn't exist any more.

Anyways I got it working on my present computer now and I updated it tonight to OS version 2.2.1 and it won't update passed that. iTunes tells me that's the latest.

Now, I remember that OS 3.0 was released quite some time ago and that you had to pay for it. I can't find it now and I'd really like to update to it since several apps I'd like to use requiers at least 3.0.

So my question is, how the heck do I (and CAN I) update my 1st gen iPod Touch to 3.0??

Thanks!

/Merlin

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
The 'official' way is to get it from Apple, see:

Purchasing iOS 3.1 Software Update for iPod touch (1st generation)

But there are other sites that host the firmware for you to download yourself, such as:

iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download

Find your exact iPod model, choose the version you want (3.1.3 is the highest you can go for your model), then save the file. If it comes in with a .zip extension, do not un-zip it -- instead, re-name the file with the .ipsw extension. You can put the file anywhere, or you can put it where iTunes expects it:

Win XP: C:\Documents and Settings\(account name)\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

Mac: Library/iTunes/iPod Software Updates

If you put the .ipsw file where iTunes expects it, all you have to do is Restore your Touch and it will load the new firmware. If you put the .ipsw file in a different location, hold down your Shift key (Windows) or Opt (Mac) while you click Restore, then navigate to where you put the .ipsw file.

ukgp.Merlin

Ah, SUPER! This was EXACTLY the information I've been searching for all last night (found the free ones, but I'm usually a little sceptic to such things) on Apples website and in the iTunes Store. Thank you very much!!! :D

It is pretty amazing that you pay hundreds of dollars for a product and you cant get any proper help from the manufacturer.... Oh well, thank god for enthusiasts!! ;)

Final question then, can you go from 2.2.1 to 3.1 direct skipping the 3.0?

Thanx again!!

/Merlin

ukgp.Merlin

Yeah, the purchases are finally backed up to iTunes, the other stuff however is another story. Most of it is allready on my computer since it's all ripped from my CD's yet another time, but there's some of it that has found it's way onto the device on other paths... ;o) It's a pain that you can't drag and drop FROM the iPod. Tried an advice I read last night to browse onto the device but it doesn't show up as a drive under My Computer (I use Win7) and the "free" software only backed up 100 files, and then they wanted 40 euros... :shake:

Oh well, I got that other music on an external drive, somewhere...lol So I think I'll just go for the 3.0 update now... :D

Thanx again!!!

rockmyplimsoul

Website
www.last.fm
You're welcome! Try Music Rescue, which is free, and if you can put up with the annoying reminder to buy it every 50 transfers then it is a very effective tool to transfer music from your Touch. Note that you don't have to buy it, you'll just get a nagging reminder every 50 songs.

ukgp.Merlin

Ah, super! That beats just beeing able to transfer one song at a time like with the one I downloaded... :)

Might as well ask you, snice you seem to know stuff ;) Is there a section on this forum that's about apps, where I can find good recommendations? :)

ukgp.Merlin

Ah, thanx!!! Now just for the job to find the best and most usefull apps for my iPod (and as soon as my contract runs out and I can sign a new one, my iPhone4 ;))

Ral b

Downloaded 3.1.3 os and it works. The only minus is that i can't make new notes or delete previous ones. Is it a glitch with os. I would like to know which os is the best for a 1st gen itouch?

Ral b

Downloaded 3.1.3 os and it works. The only minus is that i can't make new notes or delete previous ones. Is it a glitch with os. I would like to know which os is the best for a 1st gen itouch?
Solved the problem by doing a complete reset. The 3.1.3 software i downloaded for free works perfectly. Thanks for the info. Now have lots of applications on my ipod.

ccamfield

Hi, I'm in the same position as the original poster. I managed to download the 3.1.3 firmware file, but when I try to update it through iTunes, I'm told that it's incompatible with my iPod. Any ideas!? I am... confused by this. :)

I couldn't quite figure out where the default location would be (I'm running Vista), so I was trying the manual selection method.

Website
www.ilounge.com
Hi and welcome to iLounge.

Where did you download the 3.1.3 firmware file from? Through iTunes or from some other link?

If you're using a first-generation iPod touch, the package should be named something like "iPod1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw" with the "iPod1,1" section indicating the first-generation iPod touch. If your package has another number right after the word "iPod" it may be for a different generation model. The numbers in the case of the iPod touch are fairly intuitive, simply representing the generation directly (so a file named "iPod2,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw" would be for the second-generation iPod touch).

Keep in mind also that iTunes does not allow you to install older firmware versions on models that have newer versions available. For the first-generation iPod touch, the current version is 3.1.3 so you should have no problem installing this, provided you're using the correct file. If you have a second-generation or later iPod touch, you will need to install 4.2.1 or resort to jailbreaking/hacking methods to get the older version installed, since Apple invalidates the signatures on older versions to force everybody to use the most current version available.

ccamfield

Hi Jhollington, and thanks!

I used one of the links above to download the file - not through iTunes, but it looked like the download ended up coming from an apple site.

Thanks for the explanations of the file names. It looks like somehow I got the 3rd generation file. Oops. I'll try again. :)

I have a 1st gen, which is why I'm going for 3.1.3.

jimmypeebody

Website
foodgloriousfood.bravehost.com
Hi ccamfield

I too have been neglecting my first gen ipod touch and dicided to update it. So I searched youtube for "1g 3.1.3" and found some useful vids. used redsn0w 0.9.4 all went well. after update and jailbreak some small bugs so I installed BossPrefs and under extras there was a "fix used permitions" this sorted the bubs out.

jezzikah

Hey there,
So I have been having issues figuring out how to get my ipod 1st gen to update. I have gone through all the steps that have been mentioned on here, and then some. But even after downloading the 3.1.3 software and going into itunes and doing the "shift-click" on the update tab, got the right file to update, sat and watched itunes say it was updating/installing/restoring my ipod to this new version, my ipod turned off and on and itunes told me it would be updated after all this, My ipod is still a version 1.1.5.

My problems began with me simply not being able to figure out how to get apps on here, after searching all over, reading different forums and such, i've gotten to this point.

I'm considering clicking on the "restore" tab in my itunes for my device, but i'm unsure of what exactly that may or may not do? I understand all files on the device will be deleted and I have the option to back them up so there should be no worries there, but does anyone know if that would solve the problem of my software not updating?
Or perhaps does anyone know what I am missing from the picture? This is getting so furstrating... Help!

mqywaaah

I recently updated my 1st gen iTouch firmware and it works perfectly. Until I read this post and decided to check if it would happen with mine too. To my surprise, yes. Exact same thing - cannot delete nor make new notes. Also, I have downloaded some games for my son and it seemed to work out fine a couple of times until a while ago whenever I'd click on that app, it would take me back straight to the home screen. So what I did was I restored my iTouch again (losing all the songs and apps I just had put in). Now question is, before I start downloading apps again what assurance do I have that the problem won't recur again cos I don't want to go through all that headaches of downloading apps and then have it work fine and then go crazy again. And I don't want to restore my iTouch again and lose my songs that I am about to transfer after I post this reply. Thanks to anyone who could help. Cheers