Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod Touch 3rd Generation won't turn on unless charger is plugged in

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ipod Touch 3rd Generation won't turn on unless charger is plugged in

Hello!

I bought this Ipod touch 3rd gen two months ago and I accidentally dropped it in the carpet. nothing shattered except that it won't turn on.

now I tried putting the charger in and to my relief it turned on and it is fully charged. but once I unplug it, it turns off and won't turn on unless I connect the charger cable.

Normal operation when the charger is plugged in, battery is full. But once I unplug it the device will turn off and will not turn on.

I tried connecting to computer via usb cable but no success. it won't turn on nor the computer recognize something plugged in.

Help please! thank you so much

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Perhaps the touch itself is turned off?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM

Veteran Lounger

Sounds like something may have popped loose on the inside.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:15 AM

Reclined Lounger

Thats an odd one alright,
It sounds like the battery has disconnected but as the battery is soldered it would be unusual.
The fact that your PC won't recognise it is expected as the minute you unplug it from the charger there is no power in the ipod and no power in the ipod means you pc won't see it.

Other possibilities:
1)The drop damaged the on/off power button so that it is constantly depressed.

2)If you had a cable connected to the ipod when you dropped it, the docking port may have been damaged and ever since has not been able to charge the battery fully.

I would try connectimng it to the mains and switch your settings to WiFi on, then disconnect and leave for 2-3 days while the battery drains totally. Then try to charge again.

If that doesn't work you'll need a professional to open it up and have a look.

Dave
Forum Policy - No Advertising in Forums by Commercial Members
Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 AM

asaka
Banned

loose Batteries? Try to change a Battery. I think that will work.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Pro Lounger

You know something I don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaka View Post
loose Batteries? Try to change a Battery. I think that will work.

Last I heard was that the user can't change the battery (well, without voiding the warranty and being handy with a soldering gun). If you're suggesting to send it to Apple to change the battery, just send it in for repair and let them figure it out.

Do you wanna touch me there (yeah)
Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

i took it to a technician, they said it might be the logic board which is expensive. they suggested i'd better buy a new one.

i tried an external battery that has a usb out, didn't work (even though the external batt is fully charged) BUT when I plugged it's usb out to my wall charger the ipod touch turns on.

so this thing will only work with the wall charger on.

the date year resets to 1969 when it turns on. all my stuff in it is still intact. gives me a hint that the unit doesn't have any backup power to keep the date like the flat battery on a pc.

i doubt that the battery is loose because i opened it up everything is fine, although the battery was supposed to be sticking in the aluminum sheet with the lcd. instead it was loose (oh it is loose) but it is still connected and when i hook it up to a wall charger the battery shows full.

there seems to be what looks like shattered glass sticking everywhere, don't know where it came from.

any more help is greatly appreciated as i love this ipod touch, it's a 3rd generation 64 gig and almost full of stuff I gathered over the years.

i'm afraid of resetting it as i might loose all my data and this won't turn on when i plug it in the computer. pc don't even detect it.

bottom line is, for now this ipod touch works only with ac charger plugged in. please help!

THANKS for all the input!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

battery is the problem not unless you have already replaced it with a new one. re-solder the batt to the logic board, maybe it loosen due to the unit's drop.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

i know this is an old thread but this same exact thing happened to me a few months ago and im still only using it when its plugged in. Wondering if the OP ever figured out what it was or fixed it?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:22 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusg View Post
i know this is an old thread but this same exact thing happened to me a few months ago and im still only using it when its plugged in. Wondering if the OP ever figured out what it was or fixed it?
It's the battery problem. Replace new one and you will be fine.
99% is the battery.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hey, thanks! i was afraid of that. Why they gotta make it so hard to change the battery? rhetorical question, no reply needed. Guess i will send it out to a 3rd party ipod fixer place.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution2Ipod View Post
It's the battery problem. Replace new one and you will be fine.
99% is the battery.
I second that, I'd be certain it's the battery if I had the iPod. There are components on the battery on a kind of mini logic board. Components of this kind don't take to shock very kindly and could have easily been damaged when the unit was dropped. Being a repairer I have had experience with this before and have found 100% of the time it's the battery, I'll eat my pants if it's not!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ok Jimmy guess what, I have the same exact thing as the guy above , even the time / date stamp 1969, I have replaced the battery, and same exact thing happened..... -_- so I ask.... What flavor are ur pants?? Lol nah but seriously, any other suggestions, please help if u can ...

Topic: Ipod Touch 3rd Generation won't turn on unless charger is plugged in

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.