PLS help backup ipod to new PC - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: PLS help backup ipod to new PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question PLS help backup ipod to new PC

Hello
I am new to this forum and would really appreciate some help here.
I got an ipod touch 32GB about 6 months ago and have only sync'ed it twice using my mom's laptop. Then it got destroyed and now i have a desktop that i use. PROBLEM: I know i will lose everything if I sync it. I am afraid to lose all my email contacts because i was saving them on the ipod mostly, more so than my yahoo account. I am also afraid to lose all the free apps I downloaded over wifi. Oh, by the way, I don't even have my own wifi so i go to public places to use it. Can someone please recommend a program to use on my Desktop Win 7 so I can safely back up my info and then update it to the latest OSX (or whatever they are calling it now, 4.0? IDK)
I am a noob with apple stuff. I wish I would have learned how to jailbreak before this disaster occurred.
Any help that makes sense would really be appreciated.
Thanks
-TopStinger
Old 07-01-2010, 02:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

I had to restore my PC last week, and after installing iTunes and hooking up my Touch, it said it would erase everything... if I didn't authorize the PC. So, I authorized it. Disaster averted.
One thing I did do beforehand in anticipation of iTunes taking the initiative and just doing it itself, is turn off auto-sync first.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb Still need help

Hello
Thank you for your reply but even after I authorized my computer on iTunes, I am still unable to sync my itouch without losing all my data. Please help.
Thank you
-TopStinger
Old 07-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Veteran Lounger

This is the most asked question here, read Copying Content from your iPod to your Computer - The Definitive Guide for more help. Once you have authorized iTunes you should be able to sync any purchases, apps, music and video by right clicking the iPod in iTunes selecting Transfer Purchases. You will still have to recover any other media not purchased from the iTunes Store.

iTunes will prompt you to back up the touch before it restores it although I can't say for sure if emails and contacts are included. This back up does contain settings and other data but no media files. But if yahoo works like GMail these should have been synced with the online servers, but I'm not positive here.

Along with being the most asked question here it is always recommended to get an external USB drive and a good back up routine to go along with it.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: PLS help backup ipod to new PC

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.