Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do I change my iPod's IP address?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Senior Lounger

Angry How do I change my iPod's IP address?

There's something really weird going on with my iTouch today. I had just moved into a new flat that has a wireless router and for some reason, WinSCP won't connect with my iPod. iFile, iComics and other similar apps also fail to connect. I want to change my iPod's IP address, except nothing I try seems to work.

- I tried going to the Settings, Network, and selecting "Renew Lease" in the DHCP tab, but the IP address doesn't change.
- I tried forgetting the network and logging in again. I still get the same IP address.
- I tried typing in an IP address in the Static tab, but it vanishes as soon as I exit the settings.

What the hell's going on? The iPod can still download online content just fine, so why can't I connect to it from my computer?

Last edited by Glitcher; 05-23-2010 at 06:40 AM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:01 AM

Senior Lounger

The last digit of my iPod's IP address has just changed this morning, but my laptop still can't communicate with it for God knows what reason. I tried forwarding a wide range of ports of the iPod's IP address on my router, but that didn't solve the problem either. What happened?

Last edited by Glitcher; 05-23-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:33 AM

Senior Lounger

Well, this is weird. If I enable iFile's online connection, I can access my files from Safari on my iPod just fine. So my iPod can communicate with itself. That at least tell me there isn't a problem with the ports being forwarded through the router. But for some reason, I can't access my iPod from my laptop. I tried disabling Windows Firewall, but that didn't change anything. I also tried communicating with my iPod from a different computer, but that didn't work either. Something is preventing my iPod from communicating with computers, but I don't know what it is.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:31 AM

Senior Lounger

It's the wireless router that is responsible for assigning the IP of your iPod, if you actually need to alter it's IP then you'll need to logon to the router and set a fixed IP for your iPod's MAC address - it sounds like the router is just assigning an IP by DHCP, it shouldn't really matter what IP gets assigned.

I didn't even know you could use WinSCP to communicate with an iPod - are you sure your using your iPod's current IP with WinSCP?

Does the router have MAC address filtering? If it does then you'll probably need to add your iPod's MAC address to the list of allowed MACs.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM

Senior Lounger

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is I can finally get my laptop to communicate with my iPod. The bad news is I had to disable my router's security in order to do it.

While looking through my my router's security log, I noticed some odd entries:

Mon May 24 10:15:13 2010 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.2
Mon May 24 11:48:47 2010 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.2
Mon May 24 12:32:17 2010 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.2
Mon May 24 12:59:06 2010 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.2
Mon May 24 13:02:00 2010 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.2
Mon May 24 14:17:21 2010 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.2
Mon May 24 14:17:46 2010 1 Blocked by DoS protection 192.168.2.2

That's my iPod's current IP address displayed. I don't know what DoS protection is, but I tried disabling the router's security and my laptop can communicate with my iPod just fine. I tried looking through the list of firewall settings to see if I can keep the security on while still permitting the iPod, but I'm not sure what setting it is. You can see from the screenshot below that there are no IP filters in place, and MAC address filtering is also disabled. I also tried allowing the IP under Firewall>DMZ, but nothing changed. (For the record, I'm using a Belkin Router G.)

If you don't know how to stop my Belkin router from blocking my iPod's IP address, is it wise to disable my router's security?

Topic: How do I change my iPod's IP address?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.