Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Wifi connected but won't connect

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

Wifi connected but won't connect

I'm having a weird problem. My ipod tells me I'm connected to my wifi network, yet whenever I try to use safari, app store, etc. It won't connect and most of the time it comes up and says something like "connection timed out." It was working fine just the other day, but last night and today it doesn't seem to connect at all.

I did try resetting the networks settings on the ipod, but the problem still exists. I tried forgetting the network, didn't work. I tried unplugging the router and replugging it in. Still didn't help. I also renewed the lease on the ipod. Problem is still there. What could possibly be the cause? According to iTunes I have the current firmware on my ipod.

This is what it looks like in Safari.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:30 PM

Freshman Lounger

Wifi connected but won't connect

Hi,

I am having the same problem, have researched online and tried everything I have found, except for calling Apple. I think I'm ready for that now.

I have a 3G iPod Touch purchased in January 2010, and firmware is current. Right now, I am about 6' from my access point (Linksys WRT54GS V4, latest firmware), have connected the iPod Touch to my WiFi network without any (visible) problems, and have three nice blue bars on the iPod Touch display. I can ping the iPod Touch just fine from my main system, so the IP link level seems to be ok.

That's all very nice, but from the Touch, nothing connects; Safari says the server stopped responding, iTunes Store times out, and nothing else works with the WiFi link.

So, iLoungers, what's the fix? Thanks for any and all advice / solutions / ideas...
Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

Same problem here.i was traveling this past week and I seemed to connect and run fine in the hotel,now since I've returned home I'm having this issue.I'm connected ;I can get weather and AOL updates but can't get any connection to Itunes,App store or Safari.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 PM

trip.master.k

What does it show your IP address to be? Go to settings/wifi and tap on the blue circle with the arrow in it. if it says it is 169 IP address it means that it has assigned you a null IP address, which is often caused buy using the incorrect passcode/passphraze. if you has aWEP encryption your password should be a long number or number and letter. WPA or WPA2 are usually passphases. If you ipod was working fine there before you may want to see if your having the same issue at a known good network. try taking it to a coffee shop or library or somewhere that is an open network meant for connecting things. if it works there, that means your having an issue with your network, if it doesn't, it means it is an issue with your ipod. if resetting network settings does not help, restore your ipod to factory setting in itunes. Keep in mind when you are done restoring the itunes will ask you if you want to restore from a back up or set it up as a new ipod. you can try restoring from your backup but it is possible that the issue is backed up into your backup so using it may cause the issue to re-occur. try testing the internet before you even choose any of those options

Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM

Senior Lounger

Im also having problems with my Ipod touch.
It works fine at home but if i forget to turn wifi off when i leave the house (for work) it seems to get stuck and needs a re boot.
It will connect to another network and it shows this in the wifi page of settings but the details page has nothing on it and i dont get the blue bars showing on the main screen.
If i re start the ipod it works fine. Same thing when i get home. If ive been using BTopenzone (for example) outside and just leave wifi on when i get home i get the same result. It needs a re boot. just turning wifi off and on doesn't do it.

Its only been since i upgraded to the latest FW that this has happened. I konw its not my router thats the cause.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 AM

Junior Lounger

Same problem here. It happens fairly often. Did you guys ever find a solution, or did the problem just go away by itself?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Senior Lounger

It went away for me.
Since i upgraded to iOS4 ive not had this probelm.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Angry SAme HERE!!!

My ipod did the same thing exept when i turned WiFi on then off it sayed conected for 10-5 mins then it just stayed off but it still sayed it was "connected". All my apps that need wi fi dont work and itunes and app store dont work eather...
HELP!!! It still has not fixed its self!!

INFO about ipod: 8gb got it this year (june 2011)
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 AM

Freshman Lounger

How I fixed this pesky issue

It surprisingly worked for me after I powered my Ipod off with the long slender button and turned it back on after a minute. I then got all my messages right away. Try this! I don't know if it is a temporary fix, but it did the trick, and I had to get an account here to share my findings. Happy Ipoding, all!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the nice post.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 AM

Senior Lounger

I remember having experienced this a while ago on my iPod Touch 4G, however, it has not appeared recently: I think since I upgraded to iOS 5 back at the end of 2011. To be honest, I do not know what might the cause of the issue be - possibly a bug in older iOS versions which got fixed with the latest...
Old 06-17-2012, 11:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Same problem here,it happens every day.The only way you can fix it is by reseting the network.
You go
SETTINGS
GENERAL
RESET
RESET NETWORK SETTINGS
After that retype the network password and you'll be good to go till...next time.

Topic: Wifi connected but won't connect

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.