3.1.1 Update failed Help! - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 3.1.1 Update failed Help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face 3.1.1 Update failed Help!

Hi

Ipod touch 2nd Gen, 8GB (windows xp pro). Got a message to update to Itunes 9, so I did this.

I also got a message to upgrade to software 3.1.1 (updating from 3.0)

The update downloaded as normal, the update process started. Itunes said something like "Installing Update" and I had an Apple on the IPOD screen with a status bar.

I left the ipod and went to work. When I came back the update process hadn't changed, the status bar hadn't moved on the IPOD.

This is some 8hrs later.

I had to turn the computer off, or disconnect the IPOD.

Now when I turn on it is in recovery mode. I try a restore and it gets to the point of "Restoring Ipod Software" and just sits there, I get the same status bar on the ipod screen and the bar never moves.

I tried an older laptop with Itunes 8.035 or something. It downloaded version 2.1.1 (I think), got to the update and came up with error 20. I presume this is because the Ipod previously had version 3?

I downloaded Itunes 9 on this laptop, downloaded the new 3.1.1 software and get the same thing, just sits there with "Restoring Ipod Software". I have now tried this about 10 times, left it all day, still nothing.

I have never had a problem upgrading before, it has always finished in a couple of minutes.

What can I do now? I Ipod is only good as a paper weight.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Senior Lounger

I've never had the problem but from what I've read you need to put the touch in to DFU mode to fix the problem. DFU This is not the same as restore mode.

Quote:
to get into dfu open itunes and connect your ipod
when itunes recognizes your
ipod hold the sleep and home button till the ipod appears from itunes
3 seconds after it disappears let go of the sleep button and keep holding home button
itunes will eventually recognize it as a ipod in dfu mode
when that happens hold shift and click restore to choose your firmware

Hope this helps.

Dunkin'

Black 64GB iPhone 4S, 64GB 4G touch, 80GB Black 5.5G iPod, 32GB Galaxy Tab 10.1
Previous: 16GB Silver 6G nano, 32GB 1G Touch, 8GB Black 3G nano, 4GB Black 1G nano,
Old 09-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks Dunkin,

I put it into DFU mode and selected software 3.1.1. It did exactly the same as before.

The 2nd time I tried I selected 3.0. This time it appeared to work. The status bar on the screen actually moved! yay. But the status bar got to the end and was stuck there for hours with "Restoring Ipod" on the screen.

So I'm still no further. I have contacted Apple support. I found out I am still under warranty (by about 20 days, thought I was over) going to take it into a apple service agent on monday.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Freshman Lounger

having the same prob with my G1 32 gig, let me know how get on...

Mubz
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

Took it into a local apple service centre.

They managed to restore it to 3.1.1

I asked them what they did and he didn't say much. He restored it on a mac (i use PC) and said a mac works a lot better at doing things like this over a PC.

I wasn't going to get into mac vs pc argument
Old 09-29-2009, 06:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

First of all, I use computers since 25 years now and I can't believe this shipt.

I bought last week an Ipod touch 8gb online from the apple online store.
Today came the package. Wow, so good, hey, very cool! I switch it on, it says: "iTunes"

So Apple suckers, you going to tell me that I bought a pod for 300$ and now you tell me it doesn't even boot up without connecting it to iTUnes ? AhAHAHAH this is really a fokking shipt!

And then, I installed iTunes9, on my windows xp pro (genuine) workstation, finally using first time this weird, freaky object, and iTunes says: "a new update is ready for your ipod" well, good, thanks!

After 10 minutes waiting a "preparing to update" I had a STUCKED iphone. So I quit iTunes, started again, it says to "restore" the phone (hey, I had sync already a music album, well, ok) everything will be deleted !?!? ahahhahahah

After 15 minutes in "preparing to restore" now my screen is BLACK! and iphone won't even shut down with his FOKKING button.

While I'm typing this, finally the iPod turned on again with the magic "I wanna connect iTunes" icon, and guess what ? I opened again iTunes, again a Restore triel, no way, black screen, and iTunes send me to hell for the third time !

I cannot believe this shipt !!!!

This should be the knowledge base for solving the problem @apple:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

Ahahah can you read this ?!?! THEY ARE RIDICULOUS !!!
I planned to buy a MAC to start iPhone development, but after this experience, I will seriously reconsider.

My dear Apple: fock ff you and your MAC !!!

Last edited by MAC_blows; 09-29-2009 at 06:36 PM.

Topic: 3.1.1 Update failed Help!

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.