Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: OS 3.1 and Smart Playlists

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 PM

Junior Lounger

OS 3.1 and Smart Playlists

I know that 3.1 is just off the press but if any of you have it already, could you please confirm if 3.1 fixes the live updating issue that 3.0 introduced with nested smart playlists?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Senior Lounger

This is relevant to my interests.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Junior Lounger

Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerwen View Post
This is relevant to my interests.
Thats wha ti need to know, but chances are that I will not wait until somebody confirms it works and just go ahead and update it and see what happens....
Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Veteran Lounger

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 3G touch, curiosity has the better of me. If it doesn't work with chained smartlists, I'll be returning it to my local Apple store when it re-opens on the 18th (who the heck closes a store for renovations when new iPods are coming out???).

No smartlists = no sale from me (for obvious reasons ).
Old 09-09-2009, 04:03 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 3G touch, curiosity has the better of me. If it doesn't work with chained smartlists, I'll be returning it to my local Apple store when it re-opens on the 18th (who the heck closes a store for renovations when new iPods are coming out???).

No smartlists = no sale from me (for obvious reasons ).
which one did you get? I have a 1st gen 32GB.....

I will not wait.....I will go home, download itunes 9.0 and see if lovely firmware 3.1 shows up once I connect my device...
Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierh View Post
which one did you get? I have a 1st gen 32GB.....

I will not wait.....I will go home, download itunes 9.0 and see if lovely firmware 3.1 shows up once I connect my device...
Good luck with that me I will wait for the weekend, and see how many people complain and if there is an emergency 9.0.1 bug fix.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Junior Lounger

I just upgrade my main library to Itunes 9.0 so far so good....
Old 09-09-2009, 04:40 PM

Official release notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Computer
iPhone OS 3.1.1 Software Update for iPod touch
This update contains bug fixes and improvements, including the following:
• Genius recommendations for Applications
• iTunes 9 support
- Genius Mixes
- Organize your apps directly in iTunes
- Improved syncing options for music, movies, TV
shows, podcasts and photos
- iTunes U content organization
• Redeem iTunes Gift cards, codes and certificates in the
App Store
• Display available iTunes account credits in App Store
and iTunes Store
• Remotely lock iPod touch with a passcode via MobileMe
• Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-
phishing)
• Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation
handling
• Fixes issue that caused some app icons to display
incorrectly
Installing now ... call me a Pioneer
Old 09-09-2009, 04:42 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
Official release notes:

Installing now ... call me a Pioneer
rock, let me know if it works. I'm at work now and for some reaosn itunes does not let me download the firmware without having the ipod physically connected to the pc.....so I have to wait until I get home...
Old 09-09-2009, 04:56 PM

OK, initial observations on 2nd generation 32GB Touch with 3.1.1 installed (auto-sync enabled):

1- Live Updating on the iPod is still broken This is a major let-down ... when will Apple get this right? Code Monkey, Live Updating on the 3G Touch may work with 3.1.1, so don't let this sway you, yet.

2- Playlist Name sorting (not song sorting) is still letters-first, then numbers. But leading symbols in the Playlist Name are now ignored. I was using ": " to push certain playlists to the bottom of the list of playlists, but now that doesn't work (guess I'll have to use "99 " as my playlist prefix for "root playlists" that I use to load the Touch contents).

All for now, have not tried in my car yet (Honda factory iPod integration lost communication with 3.0). Not sure about wi-fi since I don't have a signal here (but I didn't have a wi-fi problem with 3.0). Everything else seems "normal".
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 PM

Junior Lounger

THAT SUCKS .......BIG TIME..... I had hope that this would fix the issue.....I will try it anyway. could this be an issue with itunes resotring something from the device's backup? I do not waht to loose hope yet.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierh View Post
could this be an issue with itunes resotring something from the device's backup?
I kinda doubt it. With the 3.0 release I restored the Touch as a new iPod and Live Updating was still broken. Could be different with 3.1.1, but I don't hold much hope for that. I still wonder if Apple made some compromises in CPU loading and memory management in order for all the other 3.x bells and whistles to work. Live Updating might be viewed as "unnecessary" overhead that can be cut out in order to improve performance. I hope not since it is extremely important for many of us -- I hate having to re-sync just to get my playlists to update.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Junior Lounger

I did that last week, after trying unsuccessfully to downgrade to 2.x I restore it as a new ipod to get rid of a bunch anything that the failed downgrade process left there.

could they (apple) be thinking that this functionality (smart lists live update) will be replaced by the new DJ function?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:32 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
2- Playlist Name sorting (not song sorting) is still letters-first, then numbers. But leading symbols in the Playlist Name are now ignored.
Now that just seems idiotic. It's like Apple wants to aggravate people who try to be organized.

Quote:
1- Live Updating on the iPod is still broken This is a major let-down ... when will Apple get this right? Code Monkey, Live Updating on the 3G Touch may work with 3.1.1, so don't let this sway you, yet.
I'll be certain to report back. I'm not optimistic, they've blown up smartlists more times than I like to think about, and it's painfully obvious it's something they place as very, very low on their priority list (shiny chat bubbles and transition effects are obviously much more important ). On the other hand, I've made video such a habit on my nano that I figured a touch might be a logical upgrade. As sharp and clear as the screen is on the 4G nano, it's still a damn tiny screen.

I figure I've got 30 days to take it for a test drive in-depth and they've got 30 days to fix things if smartlist updating is broken on the 3G. If it's broken on the 3G and they don't fix it in the next two weeks (I won't hold my breath), it goes back. My Apple store will re-open the 18th and it's a short drive for me. I'll be out the $10 I paid for 2 day shipping but my credit card will be happier anyhow. Either way, it's a win-win for me. If live updating is borked, I save $300+tax (got the 32GB btw) and get rid of this year's case of upgraditis. If it does work, I get a shiny new toy.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey
Now that just seems idiotic. It's like Apple wants to aggravate people who try to be organized.
I imagine code developers having an evil laugh of it all right about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey
I'll be certain to report back. I'm not optimistic, they've blown up smartlists more times than I like to think about, and it's painfully obvious it's something they place as very, very low on their priority list (shiny chat bubbles and transition effects are obviously much more important ).
Yeah I was hoping that they'd see the error of their ways and fix this, maybe with 3.1.2 (ha!) I guess the only up-side to this is that navigating between playlists is real snappy with 3.x, only because the CPU doesn't have to re-calculate the playlist contents each time.

Maybe the speedy new processor in the 3G will be better suited to handle 3.x and Live Updating. I'll be real curious to see your results.

Topic: OS 3.1 and Smart Playlists

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.