Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: transferring apps to new iPod touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Freshman Lounger

transferring apps to new iPod touch?

I had an iPod touch, which I synced with a PC. I bought several apps for it, including the upgrade to OS 3.0, a dictionary, game, etc. The iPod touch got water damaged and is unusable. I got a new iPod touch recently.

Here are my two questions:

1. If I'm using the same iTunes account, can I transfer my old apps to my new iPod touch if I can't turn on the old one to deactivate it? Or do I have to re-buy them all?

2. Can I somehow get the old apps onto my Mac, then put them on the new iPod touch?

Thanks for your help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

To the best of my knowledge, when you buy an app, you buy the product as far as the license to use it on one device. If the device is lost or stolen, the right to use that app dies with it. You can notify the Apple store that the first ipod is damaged and unusable and you would like to transfer the rights to the apps so you can sync the new Touch to the old apps with the same account. They can disable the rights for one and enable the new one. They will set it so the first iPod will never be allowed to sync again so if you get it repaired, it is not going to be allowed to sync thru your iTunes account. I believe this is best done at an Apple Store where a Genius person can help. Be sure you know your ID and Password for your iTunes account before you show up there,a dn brign the dead one with you if you still have it. "Duh" will not help them get the job done. If you can't get help that way or thru a conversation on the phone, you will probably have to buy the apps again. It's solvable with a little effort. Spending time is often better than spending money. Good luck and let us know.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoGal
To the best of my knowledge, when you buy an app, you buy the product as far as the license to use it on one device. If the device is lost or stolen, the right to use that app dies with it.
There is nothing preventing you from installing apps on as many iPods as you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodchic
1. If I'm using the same iTunes account, can I transfer my old apps to my new iPod touch if I can't turn on the old one to deactivate it? Or do I have to re-buy them all?
No need to re-buy them all. When you get your new Touch connected to your library, the first thing you should do is restore it to load the 3.0 OS onto it (it probably came with 2.2.1). During the restore process you'll have the option to re-load from your last backup, or set it up as a new iPod. Either way you can re-sync your Apps, as well as music, video, etc. By re-loading your last backup, that restores all your preferred Touch settings, as well as music, playlists, calender, web links, contacts, etc. If you restore it as a new iPod you're basically starting from scratch, but you can still load all those things onto your new Touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodchic
2. Can I somehow get the old apps onto my Mac, then put them on the new iPod touch?
I'm sure there is a way to move the Apps to your Mac, but I don't know how that's done (maybe check the "Ask iLounge" columns)
Old 08-28-2009, 03:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
There is nothing preventing you from installing apps on as many iPods as you want.
I stand corrected. I was misinformed by some other person who I thought was knowledgeable. I did not realize you could simultaneously use any apps on multiple ipods. I'm glad to know apps are able to be used from one ipod to another.

In future I will double check before offering answers, unless I have personal knowledge.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

All figured out

Thanks, all, for your help and input. I took the plunge and tried to download one of my paid apps today onto my new iTouch, and got a message saying that I've already paid for the app, would I like to download it again? What a relief! I have no idea whether they would work on the old iPod, but that device is now resting in peace, so I won't know.

However, it looks like I can only authorize my apps on five computers -- just like music. Fortunately, I own far fewer than five computers!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

And I was able to sync with my Mac -- I just had to hit "Authorize Computer" in iTunes.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question Just asking......

So, i have a 2nd generation ipod touch. I am getting an ipod touch 4th generation soon. So, for instance, i bought Angry Birds on my 2nd generation. If i go on the 4th generation and log into the same account i bought angry birds on... Can i get it again for free? Or would i have to pay another 99cents to get it again? Plz reply... I am having trouble finding information. Thank you in advance!!

Topic: transferring apps to new iPod touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.