Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Tracking a stolen ipod touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-03-2009, 12:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Tracking a stolen ipod touch?

I got my ipod touch stolen from out of my backpack at school yesterday. So I was wondering if there was any way to be able to track my ipod touch and find out where it was. I'm pretty sure that there isn't but if you know of anything please reply (:

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Did you previously register your iPod with Apple? If not, do you still have the box? The reason being is that the original box has the serial number. You need to register that with Apple so that their computer system will be alerted anytime anyone else registers an iPod with that same serial number (something of which you can't fake).

I would also see what your home owners insurance (or your parents'/parent's) will do. Unfortunately there isn't much your school will do (if it is a public/private mid-high, junior high, or high school) as most of them have a strict no iPod policy (something of which students should abide by). These no iPod policies are in place for a reason. It stops students from ignoring teachers and it stops other students from taking property that isn't theirs.

So that is about it. Call Apple and your (or your parents'/parent's) home owners insurance. More than likely the insurance company will be able to replace the iPod but it might cause an increase in the monthly costs and/or the premium. Learn from this lesson though and never take an iPod to school again. You just can't trust people with something as valuable and as popular as an iPod. Back when I went to high school, I carried around a Rio 600 (a player with a 32MB capacity, that was pretty large for the time). I had just purchased a $250 64GB memory module for it upgrading my player to a full 96GB of memory (this was 32MB higher than any other player on the market, this also really dates myself). The player itself was $250 so I had $500 sitting in my backpack. Some student decided to take it from me. It took a few days but I finally tracked it down, did somethings I can't repeat here, and got my player back. Point being: people (especially students, no offense) will always be like this.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-03-2009, 03:07 PM

ReyZero

Sadly this is true, I didn't trust 99% of the people in high school. I carried a lot of gadgets when I was in school, but no one wants to mess with the black belt asian kid in ROTC.

There isn't much you can do except what korn was saying about registering.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM

Junior Lounger

If you register your iPod and sell it later, how does that affect the new owner?

4GB Nano Green
1GB Shuffle
Lookin' for a Touch - PM me if you've got one for sale
Old 06-19-2010, 12:06 AM

Freshman Lounger

Smile Thanks Korn

Thank you kor nfor the help beacuse i got my i pod stolen tuesday at school and i got insuirance for it at best buy i really appreciate your help. I hope i can get it back or get a new one with the insurance.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Veteran Lounger

Almost every homeowner's insurance policy has a deductible which is around $500 on average. Therefore, going through a homeowner's policy is usually pointless.

Registering it through Apple will do no good either. This has been discussed many times on the forums and Apple will do nothing if someone else tries to register an iPod previously registered to someone else. Even if you try to let them know it was stolen they won't do anything.

Best Buy doesn't sell insurance - they sell an extended warranty. So you're not going to have any luck walking in there without the iPod asking them to replace it because it was stolen.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeadows View Post
I got my ipod touch stolen from out of my backpack at school yesterday. So I was wondering if there was any way to be able to track my ipod touch and find out where it was. I'm pretty sure that there isn't but if you know of anything please reply (:
I've got my stolen too where i alway have putted in my backback on the right side and it's been missing since last week on May 15, 2011 so i wanted to fnd and who has my iTouch
Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Freshman Lounger

Apple Will Not Help You In ANY If Your Ipod Is Stolen..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
Did you previously register your iPod with Apple? If not, do you still have the box? The reason being is that the original box has the serial number. You need to register that with Apple so that their computer system will be alerted anytime anyone else registers an iPod with that same serial number (something of which you can't fake).

I would also see what your home owners insurance (or your parents'/parent's) will do. Unfortunately there isn't much your school will do (if it is a public/private mid-high, junior high, or high school) as most of them have a strict no iPod policy (something of which students should abide by). These no iPod policies are in place for a reason. It stops students from ignoring teachers and it stops other students from taking property that isn't theirs.

So that is about it. Call Apple and your (or your parents'/parent's) home owners insurance. More than likely the insurance company will be able to replace the iPod but it might cause an increase in the monthly costs and/or the premium. Learn from this lesson though and never take an iPod to school again. You just can't trust people with something as valuable and as popular as an iPod. Back when I went to high school, I carried around a Rio 600 (a player with a 32MB capacity, that was pretty large for the time). I had just purchased a $250 64GB memory module for it upgrading my player to a full 96GB of memory (this was 32MB higher than any other player on the market, this also really dates myself). The player itself was $250 so I had $500 sitting in my backpack. Some student decided to take it from me. It took a few days but I finally tracked it down, did somethings I can't repeat here, and got my player back. Point being: people (especially students, no offense) will always be like this.
Thanks for the advice here unfortunately it doesn't help. Even if you file a police report and report it to Apple If some one else registers your Ipod Apple will NOT contact the police. They say "we don't get involved in these types of issues" So basically, if your Ipod is stolen you are screwed unless you just happen to figure out who stole it yourself. I know this from personal experience with my sons stolen Ipod Touch 32gb 4th gen. I spoke with Apple and this was their position. Sorry...buy another Ipod..
Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Pro Lounger

By any chance, did you register with MobileMe? If so, you can go on the website and type in your username and id and it will search for your ipod and give you an idea of where it is located.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Don't bother. This thread was started two years ago before iPod's had the ability to be located using the Find My iPhone function. The OP has since never returned. Why khendron even bothered to bump this post is beyond me especially since much has changed in two years.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM

Freshman Lounger

true

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyZero View Post
Sadly this is true, I didn't trust 99% of the people in high school. I carried a lot of gadgets when I was in school, but no one wants to mess with the black belt asian kid in ROTC.

There isn't much you can do except what korn was saying about registering.
that might be true but Im also in ROTC and someone in my class stole it right outta my bag while I was out doing PT
Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 AM

Freshman Lounger

Post Yourhy ipod i know u took it

who ever took my ipod i need it right way i lost it at home so i'm at the library tracking it if i don't find it befor i come back i'm going to track it in the map of my ipod and wen i find it from the person that person will loose all his things expecially for his laptop
Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM

Freshman Lounger

#### you neeed my ipod #####

Topic: Tracking a stolen ipod touch?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.