Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: WiFi works everywhere... except at home

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 PM

iLounge's token airsofter

WiFi works everywhere... except at home

Ok, so here is my problem, and I'm assuming I'm probably not the only person who has experienced this.

I have been using my iPod touch at home ever since i got it, and it has worked fine. However, today I took it to school for the first time, and it worked fine on the college's WiFi, but as soon as I got home, nothing. It recognizes my network, gives me the option to choose it, a few times I have been able to put in my password and have it work, only to find a totally random and useless IP address. So no internet capability. Now its back to saying "Unable to join the network '____ Wireless Network'" again.

I took the touch to my local library to see if it would screw up there also... nope, worked fine.

So... apparently my touch is a whore. She gives all the love to all the other WiFi, but when i get home my WiFi gets no attention. That's cold.

My main concern about this problem is reversing this dilemma. I'm worried that if I get my touch to finally work again with my internet connection that I may instead experience the same troubles at other WiFi hotspots.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Pretz
Banned

pay her to love your wifi.

i have had that problem but i just restored my itouch and it worked again. everywhere, not just at home.

"A rich man's joke is always funny."
Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 PM

Restore the whole iPod? or "Reset All Settings"?

So does that imply that this problem could be something that a future firmware update could fix or is it something wrong with my particular iPod?

Last edited by iSoft; 02-17-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

Reboot (remove plug, replace plug) on the modem and then the router (in sequence), then reboot the iPod.

Consumer level routers just get jacked up once in a while and need it.

I spent a day struggling with this until I did that, the funny thing was my laptop ran wireless fine the whole time.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 AM

Pretz
Banned

a full restore and reboot your wifi like jafiwam said.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 PM

ok i already restored my iPod i'll try rebooting everything and get back to you

here's hoping hahaha
Old 02-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSoft
Ok, so here is my problem, and I'm assuming I'm probably not the only person who has experienced this.

I have been using my iPod touch at home ever since i got it, and it has worked fine. However, today I took it to school for the first time, and it worked fine on the college's WiFi, but as soon as I got home, nothing. It recognizes my network, gives me the option to choose it, a few times I have been able to put in my password and have it work, only to find a totally random and useless IP address. So no internet capability. Now its back to saying "Unable to join the network '____ Wireless Network'" again.

I took the touch to my local library to see if it would screw up there also... nope, worked fine.

So... apparently my touch is a whore. She gives all the love to all the other WiFi, but when i get home my WiFi gets no attention. That's cold.

My main concern about this problem is reversing this dilemma. I'm worried that if I get my touch to finally work again with my internet connection that I may instead experience the same troubles at other WiFi hotspots.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
Sounds similar to my recent experience and one w/ another iTouch I had. Sounds like you're getting it working at free spots, e.g., the library, that don't ask for a password. If your home wireless base station requires a password, be very attentive to case-sensitive characters; I tried a dozen times with my password but only after realizing that I wasn't capitalizing the characters -- which I know is time consuming -- did it get it to work with my wireless router, which it's now doing like a champ. Good luck! TedA
Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM

If resetting the router doesn't work, try restoring the iPod again but this time when prompted don't reload the Touch's last backup. In other words, restore the Touch as if it was being set up from scratch, just in case there's a bug embedded in your particular backup.

ps Maybe verify your home network's IP limitations, sometimes it is set too low and won't issue an IP if they're taken by other devices.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedA
Sounds similar to my recent experience and one w/ another iTouch I had. Sounds like you're getting it working at free spots, e.g., the library, that don't ask for a password. If your home wireless base station requires a password, be very attentive to case-sensitive characters; I tried a dozen times with my password but only after realizing that I wasn't capitalizing the characters -- which I know is time consuming -- did it get it to work with my wireless router, which it's now doing like a champ. Good luck! TedA
My brother opened the port so now we don't need a password for the Wifi... still won't connect, and if it does the bar drops from full to one then stops working all together. And that is usually only if im standing next to the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul
If resetting the router doesn't work, try restoring the iPod again but this time when prompted don't reload the Touch's last backup. In other words, restore the Touch as if it was being set up from scratch, just in case there's a bug embedded in your particular backup.

ps Maybe verify your home network's IP limitations, sometimes it is set too low and won't issue an IP if they're taken by other devices.
I didn't back up my Touch when I restored it. I'm going to wait til my bro get's back before I muck with anything. I'm horrible with computers, last thing I need is to have my Touch not work AND the router
Old 02-18-2009, 11:02 PM

NOTHING has worked.

I have an appointment to speak with one of the "geniuses" at the Apple Store, they are gonna run a diagnostic on it Friday but I may call to have them to have me come in tomorrow afternoon. Maybe they can give me some feedback (doubtful but you never know)

It's getting to the point where I may just take the thing back

Last edited by iSoft; 02-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 AM

Pretz
Banned

maybe you need a new router. i have a time machine hooked up to my router and the tm extends the network. one day the tm started flashing orange. after 2 weeks, i realized that my router was the problem.

Topic: WiFi works everywhere... except at home

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.