Incompatible chargers touch 2nd g - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Incompatible chargers touch 2nd g

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 PM

Junior Lounger

Incompatible chargers touch 2nd g

Dudes,
Looks like Apple has done it again. I got a 32 gig 2nd gen touch and love it so far but the only way I can charge it is to plug it into the USB sync cable with the computer on. I have several chargers which work with all of several ipods and will charge them either from AC via a charger or with the computer off through a powered USB hub. But the touch won't work with the AC chargers and gives me a message that this device won't charge the touch. Nor will the touch charge via the powered USB hub with the computer off. So I'm forced to buy yet another AC charger that says it will charge the touch and iphone. All the connectors fit the bottom slot nicely but obviously Apple has changed the pin configuration or software or something in the 2 g touch to make it incompatible with all the older cables. UGHH! Hopefully the new charger which I am awaiting will work.

Way to go Apple, Dave
Old 01-23-2009, 02:01 PM

Way to research before buying a product. This is a common "issue" with the 2G iPod touch and 4G iPod nano. Apple changed the specs of their devices so that they no longer accept the old 12V input (which is part of the firewire standard). They will only accept a 5V power input which is part of the USB2.0 standard. Older chargers, even if they use a USB cable, go with 12V instead of 5V. Apple gave manufacturers ample notice before coming out with the 5V only iPods. However, the 3rd party accessory manufacturers decided to wait months after the new iPod released before updating their accessories.

Either way this is common knowledge now and you could have obtained it by conducting about 3 minutes of internet searching. I understand your frustration but people should always research electronics before they buy them.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 01-23-2009, 02:13 PM

It just seems on the same level as the $50 TV out cable. It's almost like an excuse sometimes. Or maybe not Apple directly, but another great way to have 3rd party get more money...

See This Before Posting!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM

Junior Lounger

OK Mr smarty pants! Why won't the 2g touch charge when pluged into a powered USB hub,5 volt, when the computer is off. All my other Ipods do!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:51 PM

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal

Wow, I love people who blame others, when simple product research could be done before hand, hahaha, these type of threads always make me chuckle, please OP keep it up.

8gb iPhone 2G(retired to my closet) 16GB Touch 1G(still get use at the gym) 16GB iPhone 3G (with me everyday)
Old 01-23-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibicycle
OK Mr smarty pants! Why won't the 2g touch charge when pluged into a powered USB hub,5 volt, when the computer is off. All my other Ipods do!
Am I supposed to be some type of computer God or something? I don't know and I really don't care why the 2G iPod touch doesn't charge when it is plugged into your USB hub. It just doesn't. Sorry that the 2G iPod touch doesn't do what you want or that you didn't conduct 3 minutes of research before buying it.

Don't get mad at people for not conducting the research that you should have done. It sucks but this is all common knowledge when it comes to the 2G iPod touch and 4G iPod nano.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 01-23-2009, 10:07 PM

Junior Lounger

Dude!
Easy! What happened to the no flaming policy? If you do seach the internet you find many many many folks whose Touches don't charge in a multitude of devices. Just trying to learn. Why should anyone expect that a new Ipod wouldn't be backward compatible with every other one that has. Have a cold one and chill out.
Later
Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibicycle
Dude!
If you do seach the internet you find many many many folks whose Touches don't charge in a multitude of devices. Just trying to learn.
Then why complain if you found out this information prior to purchasing your iPod? There is nothing that will be accomplished by complaining on some forums.

I am calm here. It appeared that you were the one getting mad at us.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:34 AM

Junior Lounger

Any recommendations on chargers? It kills me to pay $20-25 for another iPod charger.

I ordered a cheapo charger off of eBay that said it was 2G compatible and when I got it, it wasn't. (Arrrgh.)

What home charger do you guys recommend?

Have any of you tried the converter that allows you to use the old adapters? (Another $29)

"Life is short, Art is long." - Hippocrates
Old 01-24-2009, 12:39 AM

I have the OEM brick wall charger and it works with the 2g and the 2g usb cable.

Click the image to open in full size.

See This Before Posting!

Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 AM

Freshman Lounger

I bought a generic 2 usb charger from walmart for $10 and it works fine with my 32GB 2g Touch. I use always use it to charge my ipod and a bluetooth headset at the same time.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik2426
a bluetooth headset at the same time.
What does that do? other than squat...

See This Before Posting!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:36 PM

Junior Lounger

Guys,
So I went to Ebay and for $6.85 including shipping got an AC head, a cig lighter head for the car, and a funky retractible USB to dock connector which works with both heads that not only charges the 2nd gen Touch but all my other Ipods as well. It was advertised as for the 2nd gen Touch, Iphone, and 4th gen Nano. It is 5 volt output vs the older chargers I have which are 12 volt output and USB vs firewire plug into the heads. And all the USB to dock connector cords I have work with it too. SWEET! I hope this helps others in the same predicament.
Later
Old 01-24-2009, 06:12 PM

I probably have the same one then, my uncle got me from the flea market a while ago. I will say however, I would either be very careful with the retractable cord or dump it. It will start to tear at the plug ends and might create a bad electrical environment for your ipod.

See This Before Posting!

Topic: Incompatible chargers touch 2nd g

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.