Anyone else with these playlist problems? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Anyone else with these playlist problems?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

Anyone else with these playlist problems?

I've been visiting this forum for a while now, and it seems like no one has brought up some of the problems that I'm having with my iPod touch (2g). I mean god knows I love the thing, but these little quirks are becoming really annoying.

First, I have maybe 6-8 random playlists on my iPod that I didn't check to add. They're just there. Thankfully they only include songs that were synced from my other truly checked playlists, but it's just a lot of unnessary clutter to my playlists... list. I've system restored the iPod on more than one occasion, they still show up.

The second is that the iPod won't add a smart playlist I just came up with: 5-star songs starting with "I" to "R". I think the reason for this playlist is pretty obvious for anyone who's used a iPod touch with any regularity, scrolling can be a mother with long playlists, especially with alphabetical lists because it doesn't have the alphabet scroll on the right-hand side. So I made a playlist with songs starting with letters in the middle of alphabet, great idea right? But much to my chagrin, my iPod foiled my ingenius plan by not including the playlist at all. I'll get into how the playlist is built if anyone's curious.

I'm asking because if I'm the only one with this issue, maybe an exchange for a new model might remedy the issue. Look forward to hearing what people have to say.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:30 PM

Welcome to your first iLounge post long time reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegerm
I've been visiting this forum for a while now, and it seems like no one has brought up some of the problems that I'm having with my iPod touch (2g). I mean god knows I love the thing, but these little quirks are becoming really annoying.

First, I have maybe 6-8 random playlists on my iPod that I didn't check to add. They're just there. Thankfully they only include songs that were synced from my other truly checked playlists, but it's just a lot of unnessary clutter to my playlists... list. I've system restored the iPod on more than one occasion, they still show up.
I have this similar suggested problem on my 5th gen iPod. The only connection I have come up with is any playlist that contains videos (that are set to sync) in it are added to the iPod regardless if the playlist is selected as a synced playlist. This is because the iPod automatically apparently "syncs" any playlist that contains a video for the "video playlists" area of the iPod. Unfortunately if these are smartplaylists they will also call in any audiofiles that match these playlists. This is either a bug or "as intended". I suppose it's nice that they add the playlist as a video playlist, but wish it would be excluded from audio playlists.

Are you problem playlists ones that contain video? Are they smart or regular? If smart, what are some of the conditions.

Quote:
The second is that the iPod won't add a smart playlist I just came up with: 5-star songs starting with "I" to "R". I think the reason for this playlist is pretty obvious for anyone who's used a iPod touch with any regularity, scrolling can be a mother with long playlists, especially with alphabetical lists because it doesn't have the alphabet scroll on the right-hand side. So I made a playlist with songs starting with letters in the middle of alphabet, great idea right? But much to my chagrin, my iPod foiled my ingenius plan by not including the playlist at all. I'll get into how the playlist is built if anyone's curious.

I'm asking because if I'm the only one with this issue, maybe an exchange for a new model might remedy the issue. Look forward to hearing what people have to say.
I need more information on how this playlist is built. You suggest you are "syncing selected playlists only" You are going into your music options and selecting the playlist after selecting it yes? If so, we'll need a little more information on the make up of this playlist to try to figure out why the playlist is not syncing.

Question: Does the playlist not sync at ALL, or does it sync empty? If it syncs empty, there may be conditions in the playlist "breaking" the update on the iPod. Please post all conditions of the playlist.

Cheers.

Click the image to open in full size.
5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Veteran Lounger

Check those "random playlists" -- are they used by smart playlists? If so, they will have to be on the iPod. (If a smart list uses a playlist as a condition, that playlist must be present on the device doing the smart thinking, else there's nothing to think about ;-)

For your middle-of-the-alphabet list -- dunno...maybe it's empty? I'm thinking you'd need at least two smart playlists to accomplish this:
smart playlist name: "I-R"
1 playlist whose conditions are:
Match ANY
Name starts with 'I'
Name starts with 'J'
Name starts with 'K'
. . .
Name starts with 'R'
Live Updating

And a 2nd playlist whose conditions are:
smart playlist name: "5 Star I-R"
Match ALL
Rating is 5 stars
Playlist is 'I-R'
Live Updating
Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 PM

For the "rogue" playlists showing up on the iPod, that comes from smart playlists that do not exclude video content. The solution (workaround) is to include the criteria "Kind - Does Not Contain - Video" (do not use "Video Kind", just the generic "Kind").

I think Stu #2 has the I-R playlist nailed.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

It was the videos forcing the playlists onto the iPod!

As for the second problem, the smart playlist is just as S2_Mac described, but it wouldn't load onto the iPod.

I use the past tense because I just made another playlist with the same configuration, and this time it synced! I don't know why, but it worked.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

I had the same problem and I just exchanged it for a new model and everything seemed to work fine....GOOD LUCK

Topic: Anyone else with these playlist problems?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.