How to get PDF files into the iPod and actually read them? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to get PDF files into the iPod and actually read them?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Junior Lounger

How to get PDF files into the iPod and actually read them?

Hi, the title says it all. Is there any application which would allow me to upload some PDFs to my ipod and the read them?

Thanks
Old 12-29-2008, 07:26 AM

Senior Lounger

Discover - let's you stick all kinds of files onto your Touch (including pdf, word documents, excel spreadsheets, etc). The pdf viewer is very good, you can zoom & scroll around, and it remembers your last position in the document.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 AM

Junior Lounger

Thanks. And is there any alternative way how to do it without wifi?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:04 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianW
Discover - let's you stick all kinds of files onto your Touch (including pdf, word documents, excel spreadsheets, etc). The pdf viewer is very good, you can zoom & scroll around, and it remembers your last position in the document.
Sorry to seem dense - and I'm new to ipod touch - but what is "Discover"?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:57 PM

Senior Lounger

Discover is an app - get it via the AppStore (either directly on your Touch or from within iTunes on your PC).

There some info on the developer's web site, here: http://bbase.mobi/discover/
Old 12-30-2008, 03:53 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Discover is an app - get it via the AppStore (either directly on your Touch or from within iTunes on your PC).

Thanks very much for your help - I've downloaded it (free) from the AppStore and I will put it on my Touch later this evening.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:12 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:

Thanks for all your help. I think I've maybe misunderstood the issue. I have some pdf files on my PC and I would like to be able to transfer them to my iPod touch so that I can read them when I'm on the move - is this possible?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:06 PM

Veteran Lounger

Well, have you actually downloaded Discover and/or read the info at the link provided? It allows you to transfer files to your iPod touch from your computer and then from within Discover you can read them. There are many applications like this, including Files Lite and Air Sharing. What seems to be the problem?

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 PM

Senior Lounger

You need to run Discover on your Touch, you should get a green indicator at the bottom left of the screen - touching that will show a dialog displaying a web address (something like http://192.168.1.3:8888) you need to enter that address into a browser (like Firefox or IE) on your PC. You will then see a web interface that allows you to upload files (like pdfs) to your Touch (click the "Add Files" button near the bottom right of the browser).

Once you've uploaded the file(s) to your Touch you can then browse through the folder structure (on your Touch) to the file you want to view.

This all relies on you having a wi-fi network to which your Touch can connect, and being on the same network as your PC.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
You need to run Discover on your Touch, you should get a green indicator at the bottom left of the screen - touching that will show a dialog displaying a web address (something like http://192.168.1.3:8888) you need to enter that address into a browser (like Firefox or IE) on your PC. You will then see a web interface that allows you to upload files (like pdfs) to your Touch (click the "Add Files" button near the bottom right of the browser).

Once you've uploaded the file(s) to your Touch you can then browse through the folder structure (on your Touch) to the file you want to view.

This all relies on you having a wi-fi network to which your Touch can connect, and being on the same network as your PC.
Happy New Year and thanks for all your help. Here is where I am:

I have downloaded Discover from the AppStore and synced it into my Touch.

I have also installed it on my PC. Both the Touch and the PC are on the same network and I can ‘see’ the Touch from the router home page.

When I open Discover on my touch and press I eventually get the green light.

When I press the green light I get a message saying to connect to your iphone ‘input http://192.168.1.66:8888 in browser or any WebDav client.’

When I enter this in IE I get a message saying ‘IE Cannot display the web page…’

I’ve tried entering it on my Touch via Safari and I get a message saying ‘Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found’

I’m doing something wrong but I can’t work it out.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 AM

Senior Lounger

Discover must be running on your touch when you enter the address into the browser on your PC (Discover is working as a web server and producing the page you see in your browser).

Double check the address you're entering - you can skip the http part, just start with the first digits (192 etc) - remember Discover MUST be running.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:46 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Discover must be running on your touch when you enter the address into the browser on your PC (Discover is working as a web server and producing the page you see in your browser).

Double check the address you're entering - you can skip the http part, just start with the first digits (192 etc) - remember Discover MUST be running.
Guess what? When I went back and tried again as you suggested, it worked!!!! I am ecstatic! Loading up my .pdf's as I write. Thanks very much for your help and forbearance. I am a happy Toucher at this moment!

Topic: How to get PDF files into the iPod and actually read them?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.