Battery question for ipod touch experts - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Battery question for ipod touch experts

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

Battery question for ipod touch experts

I just received an iPod touch 2g for X-mas and I am a little concerned about my battery. I loaded my digital copy of the Dark Knight on it and I was able to get through the movie once and almost a second time, for a total of about 4:45.

I can live with this but it's the audio that concerns me. I am currently testing the battery length for audio with the auto lock feature off and the unit on shuffle (so the screen is on all the time but wifi is off as if fetch new data, etc). About five hours in I've received the 20% battery remaining message. Is this normal? The only think I can think is that most people don't notice these problems because they don't have the screen on all the time and they don't play music for five hours continually (usually). Please help a guy out.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:15 PM

iPod, therefore I am

The LCD takes up a lot of power, especially the backlight. What's the backlight level?
When Apple does battery testing, they usually turn the display off and just let the iPod play until it dies. The backlight/LCD is the reason your battery life is crappy, just Lock it when you're just listening to music and you'll be fine.

-CM

Click the image to open in full size.

MacBook Air 13.3" (Mid 2011) 1.7Ghz/4GB/128GB SSD, 6G 16GB iPod Nano, 32GB 3G+Wifi iPad 2, 32GB iPhone 4.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:53 PM

Reclined Lounger

I notice I get the 20% warning well before 80% of the battery time is gone.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hmmmm...I just finished my test and the ipod held its charge for music for almost seven hours. This was with auto-lock turned off and the brightness level at about half way. Does this sound right to you guys? I have no problem if it's normal but I'm just scared that I have a lemon.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM

Freshman Lounger

7 hours sounds good.... i listen to my touch almost all day at work with auto lock turned on and I can get 2 work days usually out of my battery. So that would be around 10-14 hours of music with the screen off with the volume at about 75% and about 45 emails a day via push.If I turn location off I can gain almost an additional work day out of the touch.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggant
7 hours sounds good.... i listen to my touch almost all day at work with auto lock turned on and I can get 2 work days usually out of my battery. So that would be around 10-14 hours of music with the screen off with the volume at about 75% and about 45 emails a day via push.If I turn location off I can gain almost an additional work day out of the touch.
Ah, that's very reassuring. Thanks man.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 AM

iPod, therefore I am

You want more battery life? Turn on Auto-Lock. The display/backlight use a lot of juice.

MacBook Air 13.3" (Mid 2011) 1.7Ghz/4GB/128GB SSD, 6G 16GB iPod Nano, 32GB 3G+Wifi iPad 2, 32GB iPhone 4.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:35 PM

Veteran Lounger

Just a note but I didn't see you indicate that you'd turned off Wi-Fi, Push, and Email checking. Wireless access burns the battery up almost as quickly as the screen...

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.

Topic: Battery question for ipod touch experts

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.