Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: ipod disabled, connect to itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

ipod disabled, connect to itunes

My son forgot his passward to the ipod touch and after multiple tries it locked and needs to be connected to itunes. It should not be the problem because I have both computers on which it ever been used (mine and later my sons - i used it first on mine but then erased it and restored it on my son's one). I red posts related to the problem but when I connect it computer - nothing happens - Ipod lights up but itunes do not recognize it and it does not show up in itunes. I even tried doing a reset with holding 2 buttons but again - nothing. Like it does not see it. Any suggestions?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Freshman Lounger

To start off, I see that you said you already tried a reset.

Follow the 5 R's for the touch
(on the Apple support site, I guess I can't post a link as a new member)

If you feel that you don't need to restore your iPod, don't. This will cause you to lose all of your information.

To clarify, is Windows (Or mac?) recognizing your iPod? I need to know further if the computer is recognizing the device and just iTunes isn't, or if neither recognize it.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:27 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the response. Nothing recognizes it. When I connect the ipod it lights up, but neither of the computers shows any reaction. One is running Vista (my son's) and one XP. The ipod was last working with Vista. I have no problem erasing it because everything can be easily restored from the itunes. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Veteran Lounger

Try forcing the iPod into Disk Mode. It's a two-step process: First, Reset the iPod, by pressing and holding the Menu and center buttons at the same time for at least 6 seconds; it's resetting when the screen goes dark and an Apple logo dimly appears.

Second, [i]as soon as hte screen goes dark[i], press and hold the Play and center buttons at the same time until you see the Disk Mode screen appear. Now connect it to iTunes....

(If this doesn't work -- it usually does -- you can manually get the iPod out of disk mode by Resetting it: holding down Menu and center buttons at the same time for at least 6 seconds.)

Topic: ipod disabled, connect to itunes

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.