Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How to sync apps without losing apps that are on iTouch but not in iTunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 AM

Freshman Lounger

How to sync apps without losing apps that are on iTouch but not in iTunes?

Hello everyone,

I have apps that I downloaded directly onto my iPod Touch (1st gen, 16GB, sw upgraded to 2.2 last night) that are not listed in my iTunes app library. I purchased an app via iTunes yesterday, and I'm concerned that using Sync to put it on the iPod will erase the apps that aren't in iTunes. That happened with my music when I got my new computer a month ago and synced my iPod. I didn't know that anything not in iTunes would be deleted from my iPod. I don't understand that!

I would like to get the apps into my library somehow. I've tried one program that will get songs, videos, etc, but it won't get apps. Every other program I've found is the same way. I tried to transfer purchases from iPod, but it didn't get all of my purchased apps, and it didn't get any of my free apps.

Last night I read documentation recommended to another poster (one of the guides at Apple . com [what's up with not allowing me to post a piece of a URL??]), but it didn't address this. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks,
teresa

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:44 AM

Lounge Lizard

Just connect the iPod and sync it - there is no problem as any apps downloaded directly to the iPod will be saved to iTunes and appear in the list there as well.

32GB iPhone 4, 160GB Classic, 16GB 6G Nano, iBasso D5 Hj
Senn PX100-II, HD25-1, Grado HF-1, Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9, ATH ES10, ATH-CM707, ATH-AD2000
ATH-CKM99
Old 12-15-2008, 06:12 AM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the advice, it worked fine. *whew*
Old 02-11-2009, 11:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question syncing on a new computer

My last computer had issues so they put in a new hardrive. So basically everything is new on my new computer and when I choose to sync the applications it tells me..

"Are you sure you want to sync all applications? All existing applications and their data on iPod will be replaced with applications from this iTunes library."

It doesn't let me click on "selected apps" to do it individually. I am worried that I will lose the games I paid for in order to add a free app that I am trying to add.

Please let me know how this works and whether it is safe to sync or not.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 AM

Senior Lounger

if you choose to manage content manually (that's not the exact statement but it's something like that) you can just drag apps to the phone. And I'd you do lose apps you can go back into the app store and get them again. As long as you are using the same account it will remember that you purchased them and not charge you again.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

Question

I dont think there's a manual way of adding apps? As for the account, I used a friends account to buy the apps as she had a credit card and I didn't. I'm pretty sure she got rid of her account once we used it as she was paranoid of her CC info being online. Which I know is stupid because how am I supposed to prove my purchase, but i figured that once apps are on your ipod that iTunes can recognize it as such and just back it up or merge new apps onto it. So basically if I do sync I will definitely lose all the apps I have paid for?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 AM

ReyZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronr
As long as you are using the same account it will remember that you purchased them and not charge you again.
I wish Apple would do the same thing for their music. Oh well, I'll just continue getting music from Amazon, although Pandora kicks the crap out of buying music anyway :P

Old 02-12-2009, 05:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveTheGreat
I dont think there's a manual way of adding apps? As for the account, I used a friends account to buy the apps as she had a credit card and I didn't. I'm pretty sure she got rid of her account once we used it as she was paranoid of her CC info being online. Which I know is stupid because how am I supposed to prove my purchase, but i figured that once apps are on your ipod that iTunes can recognize it as such and just back it up or merge new apps onto it. So basically if I do sync I will definitely lose all the apps I have paid for?
Hi Eve,

See if your friend still has the receipt that Apple sends by email about a week after the purchase. I'm not absolutely positive you can use that as proof, but it doesn't hurt to have it. That, plus the username and password your friend used. If the account is closed, it won't hurt her to have that info.

I don't believe there's any way to move the apps (or anything, for that matter) from the iPod to iTunes. I have music on my iPod that is not in iTunes, so I can't sync, because I'll lose everything *again*. That happened when *my* hard drive crapped out last year.

The advice I received in December worked, I didn't lose anything. I had no idea you could just download your apps again, and if your friend's account is still open, you can log in and try that. If not, I just don't know. Maybe you can start a new topic for a better answer?

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:24 PM

Freshman Lounger

Well I went on a limb and synced my iPod, ofcourse lost all the apps, but the music didnt'y go anywhere (go figure). Anyhow my friends account was still active so I was able to re-download all the apps I paid for (luckily). I understand that the whole point behind this inconvenience is to stop sharing of apps (god forbid apple lose any of the money they basically steal from their buyers), but there should be an easier way of going about this with less confusion and headache IMO.

Thanks everyone for your help. I lucked out this time.

Topic: How to sync apps without losing apps that are on iTouch but not in iTunes?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.