Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Can't Delete podcasts off Touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Senior Lounger

Can't Delete podcasts off Touch

I've been having problems with loading podcasts onto my Touch, and then deleting them when I'm done. A lot of my podcasts don't show up in the "podcasts" folder on the Touch, and the only way I can get them on the Touch is to put them in a playlist (but they still don't show up under Podcasts). They'll play fine then. However, then I can't delete them off the Touch. If I delete them from the playlist, they are removed from the playlist but not the Touch. I found a bunch of podcasts when I created a smart playlist that searched for podcasts. However, I can't figure out how to remove them from the Touch.

Anyone know what's going on with this?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Junior Lounger

You're not alone. I was just having the same problem and jumped into the forums to see if anyone else had this issue. I have the 2g iPod Touch and am having the same issue with the latest Halloween edition of "This American Life." Can anyone help us with this? The only way I can think to remove them is to restore the firmware, but I don't want to go that route unless that is the only way.

By the way, I had the same issue occur on my iPod Nano 3g. I never did figure out why it happened every so often.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 PM

Veteran Lounger

The podcasts can be deleted from the iPod through a playlist using iTunes by hi-lighting it and pressing the Option/Alt and Delete keys on a Mac keyboard. I believe it's Shift and Delete on Windows.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 11-08-2008, 02:11 PM

Junior Lounger

Smile

Thanks for the help deleting the podcast from the the "recently added" playlist. I have a PC and the shift + delete option worked.

If I could only figure out why the occasional podcast does not show up correctly. For whatever reason they don't show up in the "podcasts" section in the iPod or when looking at the iPod within iTunes. Strange. Must be something to do with how the particular podcast is tagged. The only way it could be found was from within the "recently added" playlist. Only certain podcasts do this...

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

If I want podcasts removed from my touch then I slide the podcast to the end then when I next resync to itunes it assumes I've listened to it and removes from my touch
Old 11-09-2008, 11:07 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
If I want podcasts removed from my touch then I slide the podcast to the end then when I next resync to itunes it assumes I've listened to it and removes from my touch
I assume the first 2 posters have their iPods set to be manually managed in which the issues they describe commonly happen. The best solution for manually managing podcast is to use playlists.

Podcasts do seem to work best when set to auto-sync (at least for me). Played episodes, those with a playcount of 1 or more, will delete from the iPod and/or iTunes when synced or refreshed depending on your sync settings.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 12-24-2008, 06:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

I had the same problem. But you CAN delete the podcasts from your ipod touch without using your pc

Go to your podcast list on your ipod touch. Dont swipe the screen now... it wont work

Click an individual podcast - it will now have the date and time of podcast in the description
dont click it - that would just play the podcast - instead just slide your finger from left to right and a red delete button will appear.

Click that and the podcast is no more!
Old 11-17-2009, 07:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Not in itunes but in itouch

my problem with the itouch podcast problem is that when i start with a fresh new itouch, i load up my podcasts and they work fine. i see them in itunes, i see them on my itouch, and my summery shows that i have X amount of gb of music.

however, when i start to delete my podcasts, itunes will show that my itouch has no podcasts on them, the summery shows X amount of GB and music remains the same, and my itouch still has the same podcasts on them.

i add more podcasts to my itouch and my music size grows in the summery section, and the podcasts double in my itouch.

i tried the swipe itouch deleting of them in itouch but my summery still remains the same.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Click an individual podcast - it will now have the date and time of podcast in the description
dont click it - that would just play the podcast - instead just slide your finger from left to right and a red delete button will appear.

Click that and the podcast is no more!
Thanks, Dazzerart, for the great advice. I spent the last 45 minutes trying to remove three podcasts from my Touch that were not showing up in iTunes, and your advice allowed me to erase them from my Touch in 30 seconds!

Last edited by rangel28; 03-25-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Changed Quote marks
Old 04-30-2010, 12:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks dazzerart! The smart playlist option didn't work for me either -- I think the "problem" items may have been downloaded via wireless, but not sure. In any case, your method solved it.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks!

The info on this thread has really helped giving me two ways to find and delete podcasts. I was able to free up about 5 gigs of space on my itouch! Really appreciate the help.

-Arnell

Topic: Can't Delete podcasts off Touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.