Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why does battery keep dying???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Freshman Lounger

Why does battery keep dying???

I just bought an iPod Touch and I love it, but the battery keeps dying after I put it on standby. For instance, I had a full battery yesterday. I put it on standby and today I couldn't turn it on until I charged it. Does this sound normal??? I appreciate any help.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 AM

Junior Lounger

make sure that your wifi is turned off....
Old 10-07-2008, 03:27 AM

Pro Lounger

Are you running Firmware version 2.1?

Here's an thread from the Apple discussion group with quite a few people posting about problems with their battery dying after upgrading to firmware 2.1.

I had the same problem, but a full restore of my iPod seems to have fixed my battery drain issue (at least for now).

Hope this helps!

dordale
Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

Try restoring and see what happens... doesnt work then return it... wifi affects the battery but not that bad.. mine is never off and i get much longer than that
Old 10-07-2008, 04:29 PM

Junior Lounger

If you have wi-fi turned on or use a lot of apps or videos, it will run out VERY quickly. There is nothing you can do except live with it.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

I leave my wifi on all the time and it doesn't drain the battery when it's on standby or just listening to music or playing a game.

It does drain the battery pretty fast when I'm checking e-mails or surfing the web.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:19 AM

Pro Lounger

I do think there is a bug in the new firmware version (2.1). I would have a fully charged battery, and listen for about 15-20 minutes before falling asleep (using the timer to turn my Touch off). The next day, when I'd go to use the iPod, I'd get a low battery warning.

As I said in my prior post, restoring my Touch seems to have fixed the problem for me. (Hopefully it continues to work!)

dordale
Old 10-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFreak007
If you have wi-fi turned on or use a lot of apps or videos, it will run out VERY quickly. There is nothing you can do except live with it.
Note that OP is complaining that the battery is draining on Standby... While they AREN'T using it. That drains way to quickly. If any of the recommendations here on restoring on checking out Apple Discussions. Time to return to Apple.

Cheers.

5G 80GB iPod / iPhone 4 / MacBook Pro / Last.fm /
Links to common ?'s
FAQS | Artist missing songs | iPod not Recognized Mac or PC | disable auto-sync temp. | Disk mode How to | iPod has Folder/!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:51 AM

Senior Lounger

yeah, it's definitely not normal and I dont believe its a firmware issue. As many who have 2.1 dont suffer from unusual battery drain. After less than 2 weeks of ownership, I had my last straw with this and sent for a replacement unit. I know in my gut its not normal to constantly needing to recharge from playing apps or simply watching videos. My 1G never had the battery drain this quickly.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

Unhappy

my battery does the same thing too. it dies from full charge when i fall asleep listening to it on 20-minute sleep mode.

if i get it checked out at the Apple store, would they repair or exchange it? i got my iPod Touch from a reseller last May :/
Old 10-28-2008, 02:03 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereforeiamx
my battery does the same thing too. it dies from full charge when i fall asleep listening to it on 20-minute sleep mode.

if i get it checked out at the Apple store, would they repair or exchange it? i got my iPod Touch from a reseller last May :/
So are you just getting this recently or have you had this problem for a while? I'm sure they would exchange your Touch 1G for a refurbished model if they find that your battery is defective. Yeah, that sucks that it dies from a full charge.

My first Touch 2G had battery issues. I had a half battery while watching a movie. Put it to sleep and turned it back on in the morning with an immediate 10% message. Then it shut off soon after while watching video. I recently returned it and ordered a new one. The battery is MUCH better. Still sucks while playing apps though. I hope a future update could possibly make the Touch use the battery much more efficiently, if that's possible.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:26 AM

Freshman Lounger

Red face

Salutations!

I noticed that my battery was dying (10%) after watching about 1.5 hours of video. (This was after I upgraded my firmware (2.1 - 5F137) in order to purchase APPSTORE.

Being that I would much rather watch my movies, then play games, I am strongly considering restoring my iPod-Touch

Can somebody give me a link on how to do this as I had several problems when I upgraded.

Thanks in advance!

"Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!"

Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 AM

Freshman Lounger

I've learned to keep...

Brightness around 30% (Auto is OFF).
Don't use EQ.
Wi-Fi should be avoided if you plan to use it for several hours.
Stop "touching" it too much. LOL

The feature I really wanted Apple to add is, HOLD.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

Wink

Thanks for the response, I've changed my settings

(And I don't 'touch' it once she gets going....)

But to restore, do I simply click on the restore button in iTunes when my iPod is connected? (Simple as that?)

"Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!"

Topic: Why does battery keep dying???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.