iLounge Forums

iLounge Forums (http://forums.ilounge.com/)
-   iPod touch (http://forums.ilounge.com/ipod-touch/)
-   -   How do you change the MAC address (http://forums.ilounge.com/ipod-touch/227425-how-do-you-change-mac-address.html)

tbluhp 04-29-2008 08:28 PM

How do you change the MAC address
 
How can I change it for my iPod touch?
I need simple basic and easy to understand directions.

I am unable to connect to the net with my iPod as of now!

DerekVOF 04-29-2008 08:38 PM

Saw this post - http://toc2rta.com/?q=node/27

Haven't tried it myself, but it might work. You'd have to be jailbroken with a terminal app and the BSD subsystem installed to try it out...

tbluhp 05-03-2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekVOF
Saw this post - http://toc2rta.com/?q=node/27

Haven't tried it myself, but it might work. You'd have to be jailbroken with a terminal app and the BSD subsystem installed to try it out...

How do you do this part like the script?
Install the Terminal app on your iPod Touch. Load it up and type the following at the prompt:

ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:00:00:00:00:01

The command will change your mac address to "00:00:00:00:00:01" so substitute it for whatever you want.

This change will not be reflected in the Settings menu but typing "ifconfig" will confirm the change.

Now all you have to do is write a script to execute the command every time your iPod restarts.

DerekVOF 05-03-2008 08:07 PM

You have to be jailbroken and then you need to use the Installer application to install Terminal.

tbluhp 05-03-2008 08:12 PM

I cant install nothing using installer app cause my ipod won't connect to any network due to MAC address problem. Do I also install the BSD?

DerekVOF 05-03-2008 08:27 PM

Yeah, you'd need BSD as well. It's be much easier if you picked up your own wireless router and then could do away with MAC filtering... otherwise, it's going to be a pain. You'd have to run the command listed in the link every time you turned your iPod Touch on.

Sparkee 05-03-2008 08:41 PM

Why do you want to change the MAC address on the touch? If you are using MAC address filtering for security add the touch's MAC address to your routers filters to allow it.

The ability to change a wireless devices MAC address is why this is not a good approach to wireless security. A hacker can sit outside your house and monitor your network with a packet sniffer and easily get the MAC addresses of your devices as they use your network. I think WEP is a better solution but WPA is the most secure method to lock down a network.

bobb-mini 05-03-2008 11:39 PM

Wild guess, he's using a router that's on sum1 else's control. Like a work router and he wants to change his Touch MAC to his laptop's, which is authorized.

AndyT4097 05-04-2008 11:41 AM

Yeah, I guess that would make sense.

tbluhp 05-04-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobb-mini
Wild guess, he's using a router that's on sum1 else's control. Like a work router and he wants to change his Touch MAC to his laptop's, which is authorized.

No it our home network. Our router for some odd glitch and disabled my iPod to get on the network.

bobb-mini 05-04-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbluhp
No it our home network. Our router for some odd glitch and disabled my iPod to get on the network.

You have an expert audience, tell us why u feel neccessary doing the MAC dance.

Code Monkey 05-04-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobb-mini
You have an expert audience, tell us why u feel neccessary doing the MAC dance.

Because evidently this is simpler than simply changing the MAC filtering list in the router's setup :D

crumpler 05-04-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code Monkey
Because evidently this is simpler than simply changing the MAC filtering list in the router's setup :D

or just hard resetting it...

bobb-mini 05-04-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Code Monkey
Because evidently this is simpler than simply changing the MAC filtering list in the router's setup :D

Let the man speak. This has all the sign of looking the wrong cave or doing it the hard way.

tbluhp 05-06-2008 03:55 PM

I did that script in terminal and it gave me operation not permitted anyone know what's going one?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.