Really Screwed Up iPod Touch

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Xomphos

Hey,

For some reason lately, my iPod Touch (16GB) is really screwed up. I have gotten errors including:

The iPod "iPod" Could not be restored. An unknown error occured (6).

" " (2).

" " (1604).

And something else like:

iTunes could not connect to the iPhone (etc). 0xE80000001 (or something like that).

This has always occurred just trying to restore it as I recently re-installed Vista on my computer and like to keep my iPod Touch in-sync completely with it so I wanted to restore it. Once I did, I started running into all these problems. The thing is, it will occasionally restore but then run into something like a timeout error while almost done syncing.

I am really frustrated and don't know for sure what to do. All the real problems with iPods I have had in the past have been software issues (fixable), but this problem is just really out there. I don't know for sure what to do because it sometimes works. I have tried restoring it about 15-20 times now.

Any suggestions? What about taking it to the Apple store and exchanging it? The problem with that though is I don't want to go down there and have them plug it into one of their Macs and see it work. Gas is expensive and it is around a half hour trip to the Apple store near me.

Thanks.

*Update: I just successfully restored my iPod Shuffle (2G) and synced to it several times without any real problems. I have thought that my iTunes installation could be the problem but this seems to contradict that purely.

Last edited:

AndyT4097

Even though you might not want to hear this, I would recommend the trip to the Apple store. They know your iPod best. Even if it does work on their Macs, they might be able to help you through your problem.

Xomphos

Even though you might not want to hear this, I would recommend the trip to the Apple store. They know your iPod best. Even if it does work on their Macs, they might be able to help you through your problem.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I just also got some more information:

I tried it on an iMac of someone I know and it successfully restored from recovery mode (however when it restarted, the cable pointing to the iTunes logo stuck with the battery icon in the corner for a moment).

Thinking everything was fine, I took it back to my Vista-based PC and plugged it in (iTunes didn't recognize it at first so I put it into recovery mode), clicked restore, waited a bit and then it came up with an error again!

I am really worried that if I bring it in, they will just be like, "Here, it works." and then just blame it on my computer.

Any more tips based on this? Thanks.

*Update: I just did some more searching around and found a couple of threads on various forums of people having similar situations. Guess what they did to "fix" the problem? They restored on different computers! I don't want to go to those means for the rest of my iPods life. And since I just re-installed Windows, I really don't want to have to spend the hours doing that again!

Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

Teechur

Website
www.teechur.com
I think it's more likely a Vista problem, although it never hurts to take it in while it's still under warranty. I had a lot of these errors, and finally just moved my iTunes library over to my XP machine. I have a mobo with the Nvidia chipset and the USB drivers do not play well with Apple. So rather than hassle, I moved to XP and all was good. Unfortunately most people don't have that latitude.

DerekVOF

Just a note - the iPod Touch and iPhone use entirely different USB drivers than previous generation iPods (including the iPod Shuffle), so saying the iPod Shuffle syncs fine is meaningless in this case. The common issue seems to be with these new drivers, especially on Windows and more often than not on Windows Vista.

I didn't see any comments about how you're connecting. You should be connecting directly to a USB port on the back of your computer if you're having issues - no hubs, no keyboard hubs, no front ports. Second, if you're still having issues, you can search the forums and you'll see that some users were able to get around sync issues by purchasing a cheap ($10-20) USB PCI card and using that to sync. It's kind of a kludgy work-around, but it's worked for several people. Search for more info...

Xomphos

Update:

(Thanks for the replies so far by the way)

Anyways, after further research, I came to the belief that this problem could be my computer. So, I spent last week on my computer completely re-installing Windows Vista 32-Bit and updating to SP1 and other updates including hardware updates. I also checked the hardware inside my computer and everything seemed fine. I then proceeded to plug in my iPod Touch to restore it (using a back-USB 2.0 port) and I got the same, initial error. I tried again and got it again.

So, I went to the Apple Store yesterday and a helpful employee greeted me and I told him my iPod Touch was potentially broken and asked if I was supposed to talk to him or someone else about it. He said that typically, an iPod problem could be fixed fairly quickly (I knew what he meant) and wanted to take a look at it. However after showing it to him, I explained the problem to him and then he understood how specific/advanced of a problem it was (I even told him that of all the iPods I have used over the years, that I have learned it is pretty much impossible to break one unless you throw it against a wall and that this 'software' problem is really odd) and recommended me to the Genius Bar. I was about to make an appointment until I realized the next time was around 3-hours away! I was planning to be back home in under 2 hours and I live a ways away so much that the next time I would be able to back is next weekend!

They said I could mail it in to Apple, but the thing is, I don't want to do that because I don't want a refurb in the first place if they replace it and if they do, I want to personally inspect it for scratches first (someone I know got a refurb 5.5G iPod and said it was scratched I believe).

So yeah, looks like I have to go back-again.

AndyT4097

If you go to apple.com/retail and locate your local store, you can make an appointment for next weekend or whenever you have a chance to go back. If you make an appointment from home
, you can get there in that time frame, take care of it and be on your way.

Xomphos

If you go to apple.com/retail and locate your local store, you can make an appointment for next weekend or whenever you have a chance to go back. If you make an appointment from home
, you can get there in that time frame, take care of it and be on your way.
Awesome, looks like I will be doing that-thanks!