Am I too picky ? - I found 1 dead pixel

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

zippo2008

Yesterday, while viewing something with a lot of black on it, I noticed a dead pixel staring at me. It's located right against the edge of the screen, and 99.9% of the time it doesn't bother me. The fact that I found it however, - this bothers me.

I also wonder if one dead pixel can mean other dead pixels may appear over time.

I may be just too damn picky though, :rolleyes:

What do you think ?

Question #2 : Do any o you have a dead pixel on your iTouch ?

If this dead pixel was in the middle of my screen it would have been back to the store today, but since it is at the edge of the screen, and I never see it unless I have pure black showing, I think I am over-reacting.

However, if Apple saw this, and let it pass, then that's not good. I don't know what the policy is for dead pixels, how many, or the exact placement is, for them to "fail" a screen.

kornchild2002

Well, your pixels is not dead if you can see it with nothing but pure black showing. Dead pixels show nothing but black as they are dead. So I imagine you either have a stuck pixel or a faulty pixel. Either way Apple will not take it back or repair it as you need to have at least 3 or more dead/stuck/faulty pixels. I say leave it be and you will be fine. Dead/stuck/faulty pixels come with the nature of manufacturing LCD panels. Every color LCD device (whether it be a $75 mp3 player or a $5,000 LCD HDTV) is susceptible to bad pixels, it has to do with the way LCD panels are manufactured.

I don't have any bad pixels on my iTouch because I don't own an iTouch. Now I have a nifty little device called an iPod touch that I think I will talk about ;) My iPod touch has two faulty pixels. I say faulty because they will correctly display some colors while they mess up with other colors. They will correctly display black, white, blue, green, and yellow. They will switch purple with red and red with purple. One is located in the upper left corner of the screen and the other is located in the upper right corner of the screen. Even when I have pure red or purple backgrounds, the pixels are extremely hard to pick out given that red and purple are similar in color. It doesn't bother me as I never, ever, ever sit there just looking at plain colors on the iPod touch's screen. I am always watching moving videos.

As I said, don't blame Apple. If Apple took the time to test every iPod with a color LCD screen for bad pixels, the new iPods would never be released and be in very limited stock due to the shear amount of time this would require. As I said, every color LCD device can have bad pixels whether it is a $200 iPod nano, $500 iPod touch, $200 PSP, or $5000 LCD HDTV. Pretty much every manufacturer requires that you have at least 3 bad pixels in order to warrant service or a replacement. No big deal. If you really want to complain then talk to the 3-4 Chinese companies that make these LCD panels. Tell them that they should put years and billions of dollars into research for finding out methods of manufacturing LCD panels without bad pixels.

Touchingisgood

iPod Toucher
Actually kornchild2002 you are wrong.

Apple will replace an iPod Touch with 1 dead/stuck pixel.

;)

Because of how small the screen is, just 1 dead pixel is not acceptable

zippo2008

I was more or less joking, and thankfully, the pixel doesn't bother me, thankfully it is not in the middle of the screen. If it were however, I'd take it back.

I agree that 1 pixel that is not right doesn't warrant a replacement though.

kornchild2002

Touchingisgood said:
Actually kornchild2002 you are wrong.

Apple will replace an iPod Touch with 1 dead/stuck pixel.
;)
Because of how small the screen is, just 1 dead pixel is not acceptable
Apple's return policy is that you need three or more, it doesn't matter what device you have or how big the screen is. Now you might be able to complain enough to a nice Apple Store employee to get a replacement but their policy is three or more even on something as expensive as the iPod touch. I tried to exchange my 5G 60GB iPod as it has two faulty pixels. That screen is even smaller than the iPod touch and Apple wouldn't replace it. They didn't really bother me but I thought it was worth a shot. So that is Apple's official stance on faulty pixels. It would be impossible for Apple to check every LCD panel and reject all the ones with flaws. That would slow the production to a halt and make LCD panel prices skyrocket. So 1 faulty pixel is more than acceptable. You might have your personal standards but they are very different from actual standards of all other electronics companies.

Ruffnuts

My touchy ipod, or ipot, or ipod touch, ect, ect... Ahh who gives a #### what you call it really.. we all know what we are talking about no matter what the hell its called. Oh ya to get back to what I was going to say, I had malfunctioning pixel on my last music holder thingy (Think it was called an ipod or soemthing) I used a large magnet on it and it corrected it, altho it took 2 weeks for the color to come back correctly. It was old, used, and free to me so I didnt care if it was tottaled after but to my surprise it still kept working.

DerekVOF

Hmmmmmmmmm.... I thinking running a magnet across a hard drive or flash memory probably isn't a great idea, but I guess you're mileage may vary... I hope this doesn't start people rubbing magnets on their iPods...

Prozak

Grr... I just checked mine and I have about 6 dead pixels, including a cluster of four. They are only visible when on a black screen and they seem to display all other colors just fine. I have a nicely placed crystal power screen protector that I bought from an Apple store, but I got my iPod at amazon.com and I'm out of the 30 day warranty replacement period.

Does Apple pay for shipping under the warranty period? I'm assuming I'm not lucky enough to be able to get a new one on the spot at an Apple store including a new screen protector huh?

PG4G

I believe they do. This is because all warranty costs are held by Apple, not you.

However, if you get it tested, and they deem it not severe enough for pixel replacement, you will most likely have to pay.