Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Sound effects/alarms not audible anymore

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-29-2008, 12:56 AM

Junior Lounger

Sound effects/alarms not audible anymore

I use my ipod touch's alarm to give me a heads up when its time to go to work but it suddenly stopped working. The alarm goes off and if I have headphones on, I hear it but the speaker is not working. Anyone else having this problem? I restored the ipod but it still is having the issue.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:50 AM

Junior Lounger

ipod touch doesn't have speakers. i think you can only hear it when you have your headphone on otherwise it is useless. i haven't and didn't try it when i had my touch before.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:55 PM

iPhone 3G Owner

I would like to correct the post above me.

The iPod touch does has an internal speaker. But it is a cheap little Piezo speaker so it can make click and tweet sounds, which is enough for the alarm. You should be able to hear the alarm go off when it is time. I suggest you call 1-800-4MY-APPLE so you can get it fixed. Remember the iPod touch comes with a 1-year Manufacturer's warranty that will fix hardware. My sleep/wake button broke and they gave me a new iPod touch. Also, if you're iPod touch is jailbroken, make sure to restore it before you send it to Apple.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:31 PM

Veteran Lounger

I've only ever heard it on my headphones - I don't believe it plays through the external speaker on the iPod Touch, just on the iPhone.

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:27 AM

Registered iLounger

You can hear the alarms and alerts when connected to an external speaker/dock.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:54 AM

Junior Lounger

The alarm and clicks are quite audible as I used the alarm function to give me a heads-up when to get ready for work and wasn't using the headphones.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 AM

iPhone 3G Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekVOF
I've only ever heard it on my headphones - I don't believe it plays through the external speaker on the iPod Touch, just on the iPhone.
I never thought I would say this to you Derek, but you are wrong.

Try it out yourself. I have used the alarm before. You can hear it without the earphones, it goes through the cheap internal speaker.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:13 AM

Veteran Lounger

I stand corrected - just tried it with the headphones pulled out.. damn that's a cheap speaker...

Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 AM

iPhone 3G Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekVOF
I stand corrected - just tried it with the headphones pulled out.. damn that's a cheap speaker...
LOL I agree, that speaker sucks. I could never wake up to that.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Alive 305
LOL I agree, that speaker sucks. I could never wake up to that.
Me neither. I just used it to remind me when it was time to get to work. The click effects were also nice while working with the Touch. Gotta wait a week to see a Genius at the store since nobody was available when I went and apparently the floor personnel have no idea about this issue. Got the feeling the speaker blew out and will have to get a replacement.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:26 PM

Freshman Lounger

Here's the case

Apples first generation iPod had an alarm that played a tune through the
Earphones at the set volume(if they were plugged in) at the same time as playing a basic buzz-like tone through a primitive speaker(nevertheless one capable of waking me up at 630 every morning. as it so happens the second and third generation touches incorporate a fully functioning speaker that by default is muted, and even if you remember to turn the volume up before you go to bed it still doesn't wake you up. In other words the new iPod alarms SUCK

Topic: Sound effects/alarms not audible anymore

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.