Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Applebee's WiFi

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
 
Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 PM
#1
 
Freshman Lounger
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4
Applebee's WiFi

Today, I tried my Touch at Applebee's where they have free wireless internet. They say all you have to do is connect and open your browser and you are in. I tried with my touch. I saw the wifi connection, and it even looked like I was connected. I had the 3 blue curved lines in the upper left corner saying I had a signal, but every time I opened my browser it said it could not find the server.

I tried different settings and tried the Renew Lease, but still could not get on. I have yet to get on a wifi hotspot outside my house that works. It has worked great at home from day one. I think it is useless if I can't use it abroad. Any suggestions?
Todd5050 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 AM
#2
 
Registered iLounger
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd5050
Today, I tried my Touch at Applebee's where they have free wireless internet. They say all you have to do is connect and open your browser and you are in. I tried with my touch. I saw the wifi connection, and it even looked like I was connected. I had the 3 blue curved lines in the upper left corner saying I had a signal, but every time I opened my browser it said it could not find the server.

I tried different settings and tried the Renew Lease, but still could not get on. I have yet to get on a wifi hotspot outside my house that works. It has worked great at home from day one. I think it is useless if I can't use it abroad. Any suggestions?
I think the upcoming 2.0 update will allow to connect to more hot spots.



iPad 2 64GB Wifi / Switch Easy Cover Buddy / Black Smart Cover / iRest Lap Stand
ipodlover29 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
#3
 
jdeproductions
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: cudahy wisconsin
Posts: 131

being the applebees jubkie that i am... you have to ask your applebees server for a FREE wifi card, they give you a looooong pin # to enter in your browser.

the pin # is good for 1 hour once you enter it.

this stops people from just parking outside to check their email and stuff

Last edited by Bob; 05-06-2008 at 07:00 AM.
jdeproductions is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:33 PM
#4
 
Insanely Sarcastic
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 6,997

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeproductions
this stops people from just parking outside to check their email and stuff
That's totally annoying to the customer and unecessary.

At my local library, "parking" outside doesn't work, but once inside yr good.

My guess is, they use directional antennas and coupled with placement and tweaking RF power, usable signals can be confined and controlled.

Am guessing Applebee's hired the cheapo IT outfit to do its WIFI.
bobb-mini is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:14 PM
#5
 
Junior Lounger
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 76

I had the same trouble at a Panera Bread. I looked at the setup in settings and discovered that the Touch was set to static IP instead of DHCP. I switched it to DHCP and everything worked fine.
bubsdaddy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:46 AM
#6
 
Pro Lounger
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd5050
Today, I tried my Touch at Applebee's where they have free wireless internet. They say all you have to do is connect and open your browser and you are in. I tried with my touch. I saw the wifi connection, and it even looked like I was connected. I had the 3 blue curved lines in the upper left corner saying I had a signal, but every time I opened my browser it said it could not find the server.
Some hot spots have equipment that's incompatible with the iPod touch. Applebee may be one of such places. The city of Seattle has a free Wi-Fi service in the downtown area, but it does not work with the touch. (I asked them why via mail; they told me their hardware was not compatible with iPod touch...)



iPhone 3GS (32GB black) / Sennheiser MM200
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) / MacBook (Black, 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM)
Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) / Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2
daihard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
#7
 
Senior Lounger
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard
Some hot spots have equipment that's incompatible with the iPod touch. Applebee may be one of such places. The city of Seattle has a free Wi-Fi service in the downtown area, but it does not work with the touch. (I asked them why via mail; they told me their hardware was not compatible with iPod touch...)
It's also possible you called a guy who has no idea what he is doing.
I don't think the "Touch" necessarily has anything to do it with it. Rather, its a networking interface like 802.1x that could be the reason(not saying that is it).
dmonk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:39 PM
#8
 
Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calabasas, CA
Posts: 548

I have seen numerous threads about this, and I have seen that some suggest it is the "acceptance"" or "terms of agreement" page when first accessing wifi that may be a problem. Also have you tried connecting then restarting the touch, and automatically joining the network again? I haven't had many wifi issues, but I have heard people say those things help....



8gb iPhone 2G(retired to my closet) 16GB Touch 1G(still get use at the gym) 16GB iPhone 3G (with me everyday)

Last edited by Touchmyipod; 03-19-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Grammar
Touchmyipod is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 AM
#9
 
Pro Lounger
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk
It's also possible you called a guy who has no idea what he is doing.
I don't think the "Touch" necessarily has anything to do it with it. Rather, its a networking interface like 802.1x that could be the reason(not saying that is it).
The guy said it was 802.11b/g, which is what pretty much everyone has. According to him, it is the combination of the touch and Safari, and that they've only tested Firefox on Mac OS. (He does sound like he knows what he's talking about.)



iPhone 3GS (32GB black) / Sennheiser MM200
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) / MacBook (Black, 160GB HDD, 2GB RAM)
Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) / Shuttle XPC SK22G2-V2
daihard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:16 PM
#10
 
Junior Lounger
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by daihard
The guy said it was 802.11b/g, which is what pretty much everyone has. According to him, it is the combination of the touch and Safari, and that they've only tested Firefox on Mac OS. (He does sound like he knows what he's talking about.)
Sounds like more BS to me. First the Touch will work on an 802.11b/g connection. I know this because my Linksys router at home is 802.11b/g.

Safari shouldn't have anything to do with getting a connection. This is an application that would use the connection once made but you have to make the connection first. It may be that you need to accept the terms and conditions from the browser in order to use the connection. That connection page may require something that is incompatible with the Touch (like Flash or Java or something like that).

This guy may know what he is talking about but he hasn't explained it very well (or you haven't explained what he said very well )
cowboyshootist is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM
#11
 
Veteran Lounger
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Back Home In Indiana
Posts: 2,710

Well, just because they have an 802.11b/g router doesn't necessarily mean it'll work. If that was the case, we wouldn't see the number of posts that we do from users saying they're unable to connect to their home/business routers. I have yet to see any specifics (other than Linksys seem to be especially problematic), but otherwise nothing to narrow down 100% what the issue may be.



Found on a Firewire cable - If you need to detain a burglar until the authorities arrive, this FireWire cable can render approximately three perpetrators immobile when properly hog-tied.
DerekVOF is offline  
Reply With Quote

Topic: Applebee's WiFi

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





View iLounge History. Read our old Forums Archive (2001-2003)
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Shop for Accessories: Cases, speakers, chargers, etc.