THIS is how I thought Touch should be

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

PG4G

If you look at www.ilounge.com, you see all this SDK stuff, and it basically is going nuts over the fact that the touch is not just an iPod, but it has such strong capabilities.

Does everyone love the fact that we are getting such great signs of great apps for iPhone/Touch?

Foldarn

PG4G said:
Does everyone love the fact that we are getting such great signs of great apps for iPhone/Touch as long as we are willing to pay more for them?
Corrected that for you, I just noticed some words were missing.

Edit: I r spel gud.

BlackWolf

Touchmyipod said:
People are still upset about having to pay? Jeez
yeah, because it's outragious.

---

damnit, why do I keep responding to those people?

PG4G

BlackWolf said:
yeah, because it's outragious.
Why because you think that you deserve something for free that the people with iPhones have to pay for?

Geez guys, start playing devils advocate. I would rather a free update too, but I won't winge over the fact that I lost a few lousy dollars to get a great feature like unlimited apps.

Please, stop winging and whining, its just turning me off the entire site with everyone's bitterness.

saskwach

I probably shouldn't but I'm going to....:
If you buy a computer (Mac/PC/etc...) does any new application (game/productivity/etc...) that comes out after you purchased the system come to you for free?
Could apply many analogies here but.....

I just don't get it.

BlackWolf

PG4G said:
Why because you think that you deserve something for free that the people with iPhones have to pay for?

Geez guys, start playing devils advocate. I would rather a free update too, but I won't winge over the fact that I lost a few lousy dollars to get a great feature like unlimited apps.

Please, stop winging and whining, its just turning me off the entire site with everyone's bitterness.
I have an iphone, so actually I DO get those things for free. and I think touch users should so as well, since touch users pay for the apps and the update. and if you still think that the concerns are about the few dollars you have to pay, you just didn't get it. the concerns are about the slippery slope apple takes here with new features and bugfixes you have to pay for. you are already paying for the apps, so why paying for the update as well? and why giving the exact same upgrade for free to the iphone? it just makes no sense.
not to mention that you can bet your ### that the next generation ipods will get firmware updates only when you pay for them.

saskwach said:
I probably shouldn't but I'm going to....:
If you buy a computer (Mac/PC/etc...) does any new application (game/productivity/etc...) that comes out after you purchased the system come to you for free?
Could apply many analogies here but.....

I just don't get it.
this is no analogy at all. an ipod is a closed system and all past ipods were ALWAYS provided with free software updates. to change the rules of this in the middle of the game and at the same time giving the same free updates to the iphone is not at all comparable to a home computer, it's just unfair.

Dim

Website
www.lemires.com
BlackWolf said:
to change the rules of this in the middle of the game and at the same time giving the same free updates to the iphone is not at all comparable to a home computer, it's just unfair.
It isn't? The iPhone and touch are computing platforms just as much as they're ipods. (in fact, some argue they're not ipods at all). Past ipod updates didn't include new apps, or opening up SDK, just mostly bugfixes and perhaps a feature added here and there.

Now, the day Apple starts charging for bug fixes is the day I will join the complainers. Until then, I got what I paid for and won't sit there with an open hand to Apple so as to make my purchase seem more justifiable.

Skitsefrenik

The problem was never paying for the apps. We can all afford to fork on $20 for some apps. The problem was having Apple nickel and dime you, which looks like it is happening. Now there is a fee to have a chance to look at the apps available(app store). Would you pay a fee before entering a car dealership to look at the cars you MIGHT buy? I doubt it.

Dim

Website
www.lemires.com
Not sure what makes you think people will have to upgrade just to see what apps are available. As if iPhone users wouldn't make it known to the public anyway.

cowboyshootist

PG4G said:

You clearly don't seem to know what you are talking about. First, iphones users do get the SDK update for free. Why should a Touch user have to pay. They feed us that line about "accounting" practices which is BS.

While it may be a few lousy dollars, it was $20 for the last set of apps (which could NOT be purchased separately) and now probably another $20. Suddenly my Touch cost 10% more while people that waited and buy now get those capabilities for free and perhaps even less than I paid. So yeah, it kind of ####es me off.

I realize that you pay the price to be a "pioneer" when buying technology but to constantly have to pay when the updates that come out are bundled into the base product is insulting. It doesn't say much for a company that reams the customers who took a chance and invested in their products when they were new. Next time I'll know better when it comes to Apple products. I'll just wait 6 months and then buy the product when the price drops and features are added at no cost. Or maybe I'll just look at some other company's products.

You know what's turning me off? Your fanboi attitude and girlish gushing over Apple like they are some sort of rock star.

cowboyshootist

Dim said:
SNIP
Now, the day Apple starts charging for bug fixes is the day I will join the complainers. Until then, I got what I paid for and won't sit there with an open hand to Apple so as to make my purchase seem more justifiable.
Some people might argue that lack of an SDK and third party apps is a bug. So in a sense maybe they are charging for bug fixes.

PS - it's not about getting something for nothing. It's about taking care of the customers that went out on day 1 and bought the product and made it successful, like all of us early adopters. What if we didn't do that? What if everyone waited 6 months and the Touch didn't sell at all during that time? How harmful would that have been to Apple? So in a sense we did give Apple something and that was our money which, had we waited, would have bought more value to us in the form of getting a Touch will all the apps and SDK for no additional cost. At least we'll know better next time.

DerekVOF

Actually, it isn't a "line" about the accounting practices. US Sarbanes-Oxley and US GAAP laws require that a company can not recognize the sales of a product until that products is "complete." So, for example, if you buy a car but the dealership doesn't have those tricked out rims you want available for a couple months, the car dealership can't recognize that sale until you get your rims. Blame Enron, et al.

If Apple adds new features now, they could technically get in trouble for already recognizing the revenue for the iPod Touch you bought last year. iPhones don't have that issue because they recognize ongoing revenue due to the model they have with getting revenue still from AT&T.

Is it a stupid law? Yeah. But it's the law.

As for people waiting to get those for "free" - welcome to the high-tech world! I'm guessing you've never bought a computer only to have HP or Dell drop the price by $100 a couple weeks later? Or release a new model in a month that makes yours obsolete? It's the industry... I don't even want to be CLOSE to these boards when Apple finally decides to reduce the prices on the iPod Touch. The teeth gnashing will be heard around the world...

Dim

Website
www.lemires.com
cowboyshootist said:
Some people might argue that lack of an SDK and third party apps is a bug. So in a sense maybe they are charging for bug fixes.
I don't buy that. A bug in a product is something which causes the product to not behave in the advertised/intended way. An SDK was never "part of the deal." Touch owners got what was advertised, regardless of how much of a ripoff it was.

Touchmyipod

Livin' & Lovin' in SoCal
Website
www.epk.tv
Okay, so let's say if a future model of touch, came with say EDGE service, something like Amazon does with the Kindle, and now with this new touch, you had to pay a minimal fee for data service. Would you be willing to pay for something like that?

Update: To just use data only, no voice service. Like the Kindle...

Last edited:

DerekVOF

PG4G said:
HELL YEAH!

I think that the Touch really has potential as an iPhone prepaid actually.
You mean except for the fact that it has no mic, no speaker, no cell antenna, and no cell technology, right?

Thing is the prepaid cell devices you see are either (1) cheap garbage or (2) full retail price + more usually since the cell companies & manufacturers won't see any guaranteed revenue...

Ed2020

Touchmyipod said:
Okay, so let's say if a future model of touch, came with say EDGE service, something like Amazon does with the Kindle, and now with this new touch, you had to pay a minimal fee for data service. Would you be willing to pay for something like that?

Update: To just use data only, no voice service. Like the Kindle...
Nope, but mainly because I have an iPhone as well so there wouldn't be much point. :) If I didn't I'd certainly consider it.

For what it's worth:

Do I think I should have to pay for the updates we have seen so far for iPhone (excluding bug fixes)? Nope. I paid £330 for the phone and at £45 per month for 18 months the total cost to me is going to be in the region of £1140.

Do I think I should have to pay for non-bug fix updates to the iPod Touch? Well, I'd obviously rather not but I don't have any particular complaints about it. I mean, we're talking about less than £15 in the UK for the last update which I think is pretty reasonable for what we got. These aren't enhancements to the existing Touch applications and OS; they're *additional* applications, so I'm not unhappy to have to pay for them.

Ed.